Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 102 of 133 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1989

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday's air quality was "yellow" which means no outside burning and that you should avoid strenuous exercise. They also suggest to limit your driving. Boise is not known for it's public transportation and I had an appointment about 8 miles away, so of course, I rode my bike. I did ride slower than normal so I wasn't doing any heavy breathing but couldn't help but wonder how cool it would be if on a yellow alert air day NO one was allowed to drive, of course that isn't going to happen in the near future but how great would it be if everyone had to walk, ride or take the bus.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

That is such a good point. Instead of saying "air quality is poor, don't bike" making everyone drive and worsening the air quality, say "air quality is poor, you can't drive today".

Ah, we can dream...

A ton of people have been telling me "Oh, I saw you the other day". Guess I've been out and about a lot!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Epic Fail- sagwagon time.

Last week.
    So frustrated about last Thursday's ride home. The parking lot exit at work is paved right through the middle of an empty weed lot and I exit that way. Well, I picked up a huge thorn from some of the weeds that were cut a few weeks ago and did not notice for a block, and then I sure did. FLAT. Crap.

So I get out the pump and patch kit and found a little shade as it's 103f and patch it. Then the hell began. Yes I had found the 1/2" thorn and removed it, checked the tire and the other wheel too. Put it all together, confident that I would just pump it up and go. Nope. Pump-pump-pump. Nothing. I took off the pump and the head of the presta came off and was in the pump head. Ok, get the spare, change again. Pump-pump-pump. Nothing. Shoot. Take off the pump- again the presta nut is broken off. I've never had an issue with the pump before (Blackburn Carbon Frame pump) but I took it apart and I don't see any problem with it. Called the sag wagon and waited in the heat.

I know there is a reason why I look for tubes with removable presta valves for my road bike and mtb, but I had not found any that fit 28~32c tires. Re-thinking this at home, I remembered I had bought some 25c Continental Gatorskins and I switched out. They feel so much better than the Kenda Kwests. But leaving work again this week, I stopped at the exit and sure enough there were 3 thorns in the back, and one in the front. But they had not punctured the tubes yet. So I will leave work out the side exit that does not go through the undeveloped part of the campus.

I've been commuting almost two years now, and that was my first DNF. Gonna get me some tubes with removable valve cores this weekend.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

It took all summer but I have officially commuted to work (during work hours)! I assume traffic was lighter than normal because of the holiday weekend - I'm not complaining. I packed all my stuff in a small bookbag which I have never done before. Lunch + breakfast (left without eating) + clothes + shoes + keys + blah blah blah = a bit heavier than I was expecting! Definitely made my start-ups much harder but it was manageable. Took me a perfect hour. Someone in a van chatted with me at a light. He was very pleasant. The majority of my ride is on trails but the times I was on the road I feel I was lucky to have many polite drivers who gave me space, etc... I am very greatful for that.

Looking forward to doing this throughout the fall and maybe the winter!

I had my car tuned up yesterday, so I rode from the service station to a few miles past Worden's Pond, a scenic road, then I just turned around and rode to work. I ended up with close to 20 miles for the day, and my car is running great, and there were no surprises, so I'm happy. Traffic was heavy. The students are returning to URI, but now the beach section of my commute will lighten. Give and take.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

How bout some slime tubes for this time of year? I hate goat heads too!
    Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    Last week.
    So frustrated about last Thursday's ride home. The parking lot exit at work is paved right through the middle of an empty weed lot and I exit that way. Well, I picked up a huge thorn from some of the weeds that were cut a few weeks ago and did not notice for a block, and then I sure did. FLAT. Crap.

So I get out the pump and patch kit and found a little shade as it's 103f and patch it. Then the hell began. Yes I had found the 1/2" thorn and removed it, checked the tire and the other wheel too. Put it all together, confident that I would just pump it up and go. Nope. Pump-pump-pump. Nothing. I took off the pump and the head of the presta came off and was in the pump head. Ok, get the spare, change again. Pump-pump-pump. Nothing. Shoot. Take off the pump- again the presta nut is broken off. I've never had an issue with the pump before (Blackburn Carbon Frame pump) but I took it apart and I don't see any problem with it. Called the sag wagon and waited in the heat.

I know there is a reason why I look for tubes with removable presta valves for my road bike and mtb, but I had not found any that fit 28~32c tires. Re-thinking this at home, I remembered I had bought some 25c Continental Gatorskins and I switched out. They feel so much better than the Kenda Kwests. But leaving work again this week, I stopped at the exit and sure enough there were 3 thorns in the back, and one in the front. But they had not punctured the tubes yet. So I will leave work out the side exit that does not go through the undeveloped part of the campus.

I've been commuting almost two years now, and that was my first DNF. Gonna get me some tubes with removable valve cores this weekend.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    This morning: Push bike to top of driveway. Get on bike and start down the road. "Hey, there's a lot of tire tread noise from the back wheel today!" Stop. Press back of bike down. "Hmmm, that tire's compressing a whole lot." Uh, oh. Notice and remove thorn from side of tire. Take bike back inside. Plan B - walk.

This afternoon: Remove wheel. Remove inner tube. Check inside of tire for sharp items. Find three more thorns! Check tube for punctures. Find one and patch. Pump. "Hey that's not holding pressure!" Again check tube for punctures. Find another and patch. Assemble bike. Check front wheel. Find yet three more thorn stubs (but no flat tire).

Retrospective: The bike was fine yesterday. I didn't do any offroading. There's no known thorns in my yard. Hmmm. Oh! I rode to the local park. Some group was having a Labor Day picnic. They had a band that had set up on the MUP. To avoid going through the band to get to a drinking fountain, I went across the grass and weeds...

I had a lovely ride this morning despite the traffic being heavier now that the school holidays are over and all the nice quiet side roads are being used as rat-runs. I never understand why, when London has such good public transport and kids get free travel, that parents insist on driving their little darlings the short distance to school. Anyway, I managed to shave two minutes off my journey and only nearly ran in to one idiot man who crossed into my path when he was skipping a red light and looking the other way. Hopefully my loud swearing made an impact and it's certainly better than me making a physical one with him

Does walking count

I walked to work and back yesterday. took me about 40 minutes each way. May have to bring in some baby wipes and change of tops for summer months

My commute yesterday was nice. Pretty calm for the first 5 miles on the way in. Of course I got the usual east wind when I turned for the 2nd half. On the way home I had overcast skies so it wasn't too hot and great winds from the south and southeast so I averaged over 18 mph for the ride home. Sweet!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Saw 11 other bike riders before I even crossed the Champaign-Urbana line the driver of that Circle of Friends Adult Day Care van didn't like that I wouldn't cut over to the parking lane (where another 200 yards up there was a car)... so they'll get an email.

After riding my friend's road bike in yesterday's triathlon, getting my heavy commuter bike going took a lot of power. chug chug chug along. Reminded myself that riding Crush (the commuter bike) all year long is why the initial steep climb at the triathlon wasn't a challenge at all! That little light road bike just LAUNCHED herself up the hill. And kept right on going.

Fully loaded for my day, the commuter bike weighs in around 40 pounds. The road bike was well under 20. I could stand to shed another 15 off of myself, and then I'd really fly!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

It's been a while since I commuted, but I'm baaaack! I can't tell you how much more I like riding my bike than driving my car. What a difference it makes. Car=Stress. Bike=Happy. I wish more people rode bikes. The world would be better. I really believe that.

Really fast ride tonight. I found my inner Merckx. Heh. The tailwind didn't hurt.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Been thinking about how to extend my self propelled commuting season as the days get shorter and mornings get colder. We have a brand new (as of last spring) bus service in town, with a stop 1 block from the office and 2 miles from home, and a bike rack on the bus. Gave it a trial run today, riding into work and catching the bus to shorten my return trip. It's not fast, with all the intermediate stops the bus makes, but I can take work to do or a book to read. This might just work!

pics!

Still in Rensselaer:

across the bridge- Empire State Plaza:

Downtown Albany:

Still debating what to do about the bicyclst some of them are not exactly curteous - I thought we were supposed to share the sidewalk