Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

i've turned into a bike stasher.

To disable ads, please log-in.

as a knitter and spinner (funny, huh?) i've learned to value the stash.. tho you don't want it to take over the house, you want to be able to start a new project at will, or.. you know, just fondle the yarn.

i'm finding that after a summer of commuting that the first thing that became clear was that my bike needed to be replaced. done. and then i thought.. what i really need is a rat trap, and a bag for my clothes, and a speedometer, and a light.. and..

geez... don't they make some lovely jerseys these days? and wouldn't it be great if i had those warm pants since the mornings are getting so cool? who knew that my summer gloves would need fingers afterall?

gosh.. these runners of mine are making me look like a newb on the bike path.

well, on saturday i found myself in a bike shop with my visa burning a hole in my wallet, and the cutest buttercream specialized bike calling my name. i honestly, seriously considered it. i started wondering where i'd keep it and how fast it would go? did it have better gearing?

phew.. i left the store.

with a new swag bike rack.

sound familiar?

As a knitter and someone who just got another bike I understand. There seems to always be something needed or wanted.

as my numbers of bikes grow, so does my collection of spare parts.

Of course, I'd been buying bike clothing or shoes for years before actually biking...

I keep eying a frame I want to buy... but I don't need it, so I haven't bought it. (well, I could use it!) But I have this collection of pieces for it... I just bought it a front brake. Not that I've bought the frame.

As a knitter and spinner too I totally LOL'd when I read your message...I can relate!
    I just got my first road bike recently and am sooo happy with it...but now I find myself eyeing up *other* bikes (now I need a good commuter to replace the old mtb-right?) and trying to justify putting my spare change aside to buy one.
    Seems like bikes are like cats and potato chips, its hard to just have one!
    Of course there is also the constantly updated list I keep in my head of new things that I think I need-of course I need new pedals for both bikes so I can go clipless...a GPS for the road bike (I'm famous in the family for getting lost)...winter riding gear for rainy days...new gloves...a water bottle/cage for the new bike... multi-tool...a trainer for winter...LOL I admire your restraint only leaving with a bike rack (hey! a bike rack, good idea-yeah we need one of those too!)
    Happy riding (and shopping!)!!!
    Last edited by Medianox; 09-14-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

I have not looked into my knitting stash since cycling took over. Actually, because of my wrist issues, doing both didn't work for me, so I had to choose. I was a very active knitter for several years. It was a great hobby when I lived in NYC, and my life was more stressful. I'm not sad about not doing it now. The skill will be there when I want it.

The cycling stash takes up way more room!

Since I started biking regularly, my knitting has taken a huge hit...I have started this. Might be useful when it gets chilly-its wool and its nicely fitted and in those colors it matches my bike
    Your description of your cooler weather clothes may inspire me to knit some more socks!
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Gosh, I seem to have started a mixte stash... one is getting completely rehabbed and rehomed (Raleigh Sprite 5 - lovely bike but ultimately not my style), one is a very long-term project to end up with a nice light fixed gear (an early 1970s Raleigh Super Course - good bones but had a really hard life recently), and one is going to be turned, hopefully rapidly, into a fixed gear for a winter commuter -- this is one of the Bianchi hybrid mixtes, heavy as sin but with the chops to handle more challenging road conditions.

Or alternatively, a Bianchi stash: 2005 Bianchi Castro Valley (Volpe frame, sold as a 9-speed commuter); 1998 Bianchi Eros - comfort road / light touring; 1996ish Bianchi CX - celeste lugged steel cyclocross, swoon. And now the 1986/7 Bianchi Boardwalk, the "poor cousin" hybrid mixte.

Knitter and spinner here as well, and I second the tendancy to build a biking stash. I've been VERY good and haven't bought any yarn since I got my bike 5 weeks ago. I think that's one of the biggest dry spells I've ever had . Of course... I had to buy bike shorts, and then it got cold so tights and a jacket, and gloves, and...

I'm a knitter and a quilter. Since I started riding, I've been doing good to get a couple of rows done on a baby sweater now and then.

I'm barely enough of a rider to do justice to my Sirrus and I'm already looking at a Ruby.

And it's a good thing we don't have any room in our small place. Last night I told my partner, "Wouldn't it be fun to get a frame and learn how a bike is put together from scratch?"

I think I'm doomed.
    Darilyn
    Trying to become one with my Sirrus.

Knitter and crocheter. My stash is one of the family jokes. I taught #1 daughter to knit so I'd have an excuse to buy more yarn – not really, but it does help use up the stash. Now I have 2 bikes. I see a trend developing here.

Deb

I've just moved, but I got the yarn stash set up in its temporary home today... it is an iterative process, putting up shelves to unpack boxes so I have space to put up more shelves. So right now on one wall is a 4x4 Ikea "cube" of yarn (it will need a 5x5 cube once I unpack the knitting books as well), and on the facing wall is a 5x5 Ikea "cube" of bike stuff: cleaning, tools, clothes, bike parts / accessories (sorted by bike), general accessories... It makes me really happy sitting here between them, and looking at my Eros on the trainer.

I guess I should just say a steel bike stash, since I left out the orange 1972/3 Schwinn Stingray Fastback that I'm going to clean up and play with -- will likely spend most of its time displayed on the living room wall. (I will clean and keep all the original components, but it will be getting sparkly green handgrips, new BMX wheels with sweetskinz diamondback tires, and a bright green single-speed chain... maybe a long riser bar with a green "seatbag" or flag as well.) The living room is green with orange accents...