Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Don't want to look flat as a pancake in sports bra!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am getting back into the gym scene - just signed up. I have 20 pounds to lose (after having my son). The one thing that I enjoyed about having some extra poundage was that I actually fill out a bra. I never minded as much before when I was slender all over, but chunky butt and hips with small chest, I'm more self-conscious... I know how vain I sound.

Once I start losing (it's started already) there will be shrinkage and my bras are starting to be obsolete. Now I face buying sports bras that I know will iron out whatever IS there. Any suggestions?

My other issue is that when I try on those sport bras I find them so hard to get out of. I have broad shoulders and it so hard to get them over my head trying to get them off. Any suggestions of bras with clasps on the back would be appreciated.

Team Estrogen sells some bras that are padded.

I really like the patagonia sports bras (I wear an XS in these, so you can imagine I have the same problems you do). They don't squish me to the point where I feel like I look completely flat, but they are still fairly easy to get off over my swimmer's shoulders.

Hope you find something you like

Thanks - the 'Handful' looks very interesting.

I also found some Lily of France padded sports bras on the Sears website (the plus of that one is that I can probably run to my local Sears and find it).

pinkychique - do you have a particular model that you like in Patagonia?

I don't mind looking flat as a pancake in sport bras (I've had many decades to get used to that concept ) but I don't appreciate the headlight look, so to speak.

I tried the Handful bra, and I really like it, I think it's very comfy. The padding does prevent the nipple show, but I think it's a bit too padded -- I don't want people to think "omg how pathetic she's wearing a padded bra" (Okay maybe no one notices, but I'm paranoid ....)

So is there a sport bra for A-cup types, preferably available on TE, that have cups thick enough to dim the headlights but not so thick that it looks like you might be trying to fool mother nature ... ?

How's the Pantagonia bra in that regard?

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by e.e.cummings View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Not worrying about it!

I have always pretty much accepted myself as I am (very little boobage) but I started actually being thankful for that fact since I became more athletic.

Not available on TE, sorry, but I really love this:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442622258

And the price cannot be beat. I would say it does reduce highlights, although it's not much a problem for me usually.

It's definitely less flattening than other similar sport bras I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Not worrying about it!

Not available on TE, sorry, but I really love this:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442622258

And the price cannot be beat. I would say it does reduce highlights, although it's not much a problem for me usually.

Hee hee....

I clicked the link, and it's "Mountain Equipment Co-op" -- and the thing about sports bras, and how they make molehills out of mountains....

Maybe it's me, but it was good for a bit of a chuckle tonight!

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    So is there a sport bra for A-cup types, preferably available on TE, that have cups thick enough to dim the headlights but not so thick that it looks like you might be trying to fool mother nature ... ?
    But of course! Try the Alexis Bra or the Alexis Tank from Moving Comfort. Designed for A/B cup. Lightly padded to shape and flatter. They're a hit here in the office.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/search.ep?keyWords=alexis
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm sure you'll find something, eecummings. It just takes abit of time to locate at least 2-3 lines.

Congrats. on your gradual weight loss again.

I don't wear sports bras. I just wear my older bras which have become my cycling only bras. I'm small enough that it's not worth it for me to worry about alot of support, but more about certain things showing when I'm cool/cold without jacket.

And I wear all of my cycling jerseys abit loose around the bust, waist and at the sides. But then, my shoulders are not wide as others here. I don't wear any sleeveless athletic tank tops-- more to protect my skin on back, shoulders, etc. So need to wear sports bras style or built in bra tanks, just isn't there.

Abit less boobage...means more freedom in movement, less worry. But what do I know, have been small my whole life.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 09-15-2009 at 04:37 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

If that Patagonia bra is the same one I tried (and I'm pretty sure it is), I have no idea why they call it "high impact." It gave me way less support than even my daily wear bras. I think I have camis with shelf bras that give me more support than that thing (seriously). For $45, I sent it back.

To the OP, it really depends how much bouncing you plan to do with your body, and how much you want to completely eliminate bouncing up top. For running, kickboxing, high impact aerobics, etc., for me nothing but extreme compression will do (small B cup but very floppy ). Yeah, I've got headlights, I just line 'em up and deal with it. There are always Nip-Its or the like if it really bothers you.

For cycling, lifting, Pilates, Yoga, etc., when all you need is something that gives you freedom of movement and wicks sweat, you have a lot more options.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have the opposite problem of too much boobage. Sports bras tend to push 'em up and together for a wonderful (not!) uni-boob look. I probably have 20 sports bras in my drawer in my quest for one that won't make me look like some sort malformed I-don't-know-what.

The search continues, but you little booby girls don't know how lucky you are!!

The grass is always greener... ain't it?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Thanks Susan!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

At Sports Experts this weekend I found camisoles with some built-in 'help' that are very nice - nothing drastic, just a little something to give some shape beyond the pancake. It is from Fila, and the line is called Function.
    Get on your bikes and ride!
    'Bicycle Race' -Queen