Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

possible centry? or maybe 65 miles

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know this event is strickly cycling but many of you have seen my progress since I started posting back in March/April....

In approximatly one month I will be riding in the Mamma Jamma Ride for Breast Cancer just north of Austin, TX. The ride lengths are 10,25,45,65 and 100 miles.

In may I signed up for 65 miles but can go for more....I did my longest ride last weekend (thus far). I went just over 45 miles. I was tired but with a few minutes rest here or there I probably could have went farther. The route we were doing had many more hills then the route will be doing for our ride. I did the ride at about a 12mph - including the stops (i know still slow...lol) in about 4 hours. If everything came together.... I might be able to do the centry in 8-hours (the longest amount alloted).

Do you think I should just do the 65 and be happy.... do as much as I can to the 100 and have SAG pick me up if I do not make it? Or shoot for the centry?

Any opinions would be great....oh...by the way...I have now lost 44 lbs.
    Tina
    Last edited by txred9876; 09-11-2009 at 11:09 AM.

First, Congrats on the incredible weight loss!

Then, I would ask what your goals are for this race.

Which will situation will leave you feeling better about yourself?
    Do I understand that If you sign up for the 65, you can keep going if you want to?

I think, no matter what, you're doing an awesome thing!
    You're invited to visit my blog: http://tris3kidsandlife.blogspot.com/

Any options for a short-cut from the 100 miler if necessary?

I faced this decision about my Labor Day ride. The difference between 65 miles and 100 miles is tremendous in terms of exhaustion. I ride 70 -80 miles fairly often but when I rode my one and only century the last 20 miles were hard. If you would like to enjoy the ride, chat it up at the rest stops and finish with energy left, then I would stick with the 65 miler. It is still an amazing accomplishment. (This was my decision on Labor Day). If you goal is to test yourself to your absolute limit, then I would see if you can arrange to at least ride with someone else for the 100 miler. It is very difficult to be in those last miles by yourself.
    Whatever you decide, you are an inspiration. I have followed your progress and cheered silently from the sidelines. Good luck!
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

Thanks for the feedback! I do appriciate it and will take into account everything. One of these days I will do a centry but I guess it does not have to be the first long bike ride I do...LOL. I do tend to push myself to the limits (or would have never gotten on a bike to start with due to the pain from the chemo). I have always been quite competitive.

*and* of course, don't forget, you did a metric century (100 kilometers)

thanks mary ellen! I just signed up for a metric centry in 8 days!!!!! I have got a case of the cycling bug bad!!! some friends and I are looking for one event a month to do....just to keep us moving all winter! I think we are going to do the wurst race in nov. (from austin,tx to New Braunfels).

There are worse things to be addicted to!
    Tina

Congrats, Tina on super weight loss and have a great ride -- whatever distance you do, isn't it just great to be out there on your bike!! +1 on cycling addiction!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

good for you Tina. I've been to New Braunfels area--I wasn't cycling in those days. but I have a vague recollection of rolling gentle hills!

Quote Originally Posted by tctrek View Post
    Congrats, Tina on super weight loss and have a great ride -- whatever distance you do, isn't it just great to be out there on your bike!! +1 on cycling addiction!
    Yes I have the cycling bug bad!!! We did 54 miles yesterday at around a 14mph pace (I am around 12 sometimes 13 most of the time). It was just such a great ride with no pressure at all. Sometimes I find when there is a large group ride, even though its no drop I feel pressured to ride the groups ride and not my own.This ride was just 3 of us yesterday and we stopped when we wanted to stop!

On to the metric centry sat!