Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Problem with internal hub (sturmey archer)

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a 3 speed Raleigh cruiser that has a Sturmey Archer hub. It keeps going into neutral (just spins) at times by itself and sometimes if I readjust the gear shifters, it'll be fine. Do you guys know why it's doing this and if I can fix it? Also, when I'm walking my bike, the pedals will spin when it's just beside me (when I'm not riding it but walking it).
    I don't know much about internal hubs and this one is bothering me

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by bikecanada View Post
    I have a 3 speed Raleigh cruiser that has a Sturmey Archer hub. It keeps going into neutral (just spins) at times by itself and sometimes if I readjust the gear shifters, it'll be fine. Do you guys know why it's doing this and if I can fix it? Also, when I'm walking my bike, the pedals will spin when it's just beside me (when I'm not riding it but walking it).
    I don't know much about internal hubs and this one is bothering me

Thanks for the help!
    Hope you're oiling that Sturmey Archer hub every once in awhile. Just a few drops through the oil port. The problem of slipping into neutral is easy to fix. You need to adjust the tension in the gear cable by turning the collar that screws onto the rod and chain that come out of the end of the hub. In most cases, the correct setting is found by putting the shifter in the middle gear and adjusting the cable tension until the edge of the rod (where it changes from rod to chain) is just visible through the round hole in the axle nut. Or try adjusting the cable tension 1/2 turn at a time in or out until all gears are working.

As for the pedals turning while you walk the bike, I'd try oiling the hub and also oiling around the sprocket where it attaches to the rear hub.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Thanks! So the problem could just be simple, little things? I put a couple of drops of oil into the internal hub, but how much do I put in? Is it a special oil?

If you can't find Sturmey Archer Oil, the next best thing is Phil's Tenacious Oil which you should be able to find in any bike shop. I'd believe they suggest oiling the hub with 3-5 drops of oil per week, something like that. Have you tried the chain tension adjustment? It's very simple but could take a few tries to get it right.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72