Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Adventure Race

Adventure Race

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wanted to share my excitement. Another Adventure Race this weekend! This time with a 4-person team. 8 hours long. 25 miles of mountain biking. Not sure about the rest. Can't wait!

2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Where, where?
    Beth

Ludington MI. Right on the coast of Lake MI.

http://www.phastadventures.com/
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Have a great time!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I'm so jealous. Please have a GREAT time and tell us all about it when you get done. I've always wanted to do one, but the nearest ones around are about 4 hours away and I'm not sure I want to go that far to try something so new. I'd love to hear all about it when you're done, please!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Good luck & have fun!!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Sure, I'll post a race report on Sunday or Monday. I'm going through my gear list today to make sure I have everything.

I've always raced as a 2-person team with the same person. We had one great race where we meshed well, but after that we had different ideas about what "team" meant and it hasn't worked out so well. I'm competitive and like to have fun, she's competitive and likes to yell at people

This time I'm on a 4-person team. My usual teammate is also part of the group. I'm hoping that having a larger team will change the dynamic in a positive way. Fingers crossed . . .
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

So do you all do all the parts of the race, or do you break it up and divide it? Do you have to wait until race day to find out what else is involved besides the mtn bike?
    I hope the larger group helps the dynamics. Have a great time!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Adventure Race Report

DNF

The race meeting was at 9:30 PM Friday night. At the race meeting they go over rules, announcements, and pass out the map, clue sheet and passport. At the meeting we learned that EVERY checkpoint was mandatory

It was an 8-hour race, including a "special skills" section, mountain biking, canoeing, and orienteering (trekking).

Got to race start and learned our "special skills" section was a 1/4 mile run to a large barrel where we had to fill dixie cups with water then run back to the start to fill a cup. Fun, fun.

Then we got on our bikes for 7 miles of riding. We had just one CPU to pick up on our way to TA1. It took us an hour to bike the 7 miles because one of our teammates wanted to find a trail while the rest of us wanted to take the main roads. Our thought being that we could ride a lot faster on easily marked paved roads even though it was 1 mile longer than the unmarked trail. Wasted a lot of time on that . . . I was frustrated because the night before we had made team decision to take the road--not sure why the one person changed her mind after the fact.

Anyways, we had to transition to the canoe. We had to paddle across the lake and pick up 2 CPUs hidden in some islands. I'm pretty good at canoeing. I'm not strong, but I can manuever well and keep us in a straight line. We did well in that section.

Then we parked the canoes at TA2 and headed into the "O" course on foot. We had to find 8 CPUs. We had a lot of trouble finding the first CPU. We followed our bearings and got really close to it, but it was hard to see. We wandered around for awhile and finally found it.

After that we alternated between following the terrain (ridgelines and trails) and bushwacking (going cross-country) following our bearings in a straight line. We leap-frogged each other to keep accurate direction. It worked really well and we came right on top of the rest of th CPUs with little difficulty.

The terrain was made up of a lot of sand dunes, woods, and swamps. We had to crawl out on a log to one CPU and hike through thigh deep swamp to get another. It was good and messy!!!!

Even though we did well finding our CPUs, we were really slow. Two of our teamates struggled with the terrain. I tried to help them along as much as possible. I'd run ahead and look for easy passages or run to get our passport punched so they could get a break.

We made it back to TA2 at 1:45 PM, we still had a 4 mile canoe and 18 miles of mntn biking to finish before the 4 PM cut-off. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen. We had to make a decision: find all th CPUs or come in before 4 PM. We decided to get all of the CPUs since we'd get a DNF either way--then we could at least say we "cleared" the course.

The second leg of the canoe was really challenging. We had 4 portages! After 6 hours of racing, portaging a canoe is tough. But we did it and got all the cpu's in that section.

Back to TA1 where ditched the canoes and got back on our mountain bikes. We followed gravel roads through farm country to get the last 3 CPU's. Then we got on a twisty-turny single track to bring us into the finish.

Phew!!!!!!!!!!! We came in at 4:35--35 minutes over the cutoff. I was bummed because if we would have stuck to our original bike plan we could have finished by 4 instead of having a DNF.

However, it was a fun day and can't wait to do it again!

I'm still looking for a teammate that I can race with more regularly. I need to find someone that is at a similar strength at biking AND trekking AND has good paddling skills. Oh--and that doesn't get cranky after a few hours of racing. Team dynamics in ARing is key.

They're aren't that many women in the sport so there's not many people to pick from.
    Last edited by limewave; 12-22-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Congrats, Limewave. Even tho it was a tough day, I'm so impressed!!! If I were near you, I would SO do it with you. Sounds like a BLAST!!

BTW: what is a CPU? I'm assuming some hidden item you have to find? Kind of like geo-caching?

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

CPU is usually an orange and white flag that they hang from a branch. Its generally pretty visible if you get close. They have unique paper punches at each CPU that you use to punch your passport card to prove you found it.

I've done some that are at night, and then th flags become really difficult to find. Some of them they had little glow sticks but they purposefully make some of them really challenging.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Bummer about the DNF but you cleared the course and that's fanastic. Good job Limewave!!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Awesome...so just how does one train for an event like that?
    Sounds fun...in a crazy sort of way!
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by katluvr View Post
    Awesome...so just how does one train for an event like that?
    Sounds fun...in a crazy sort of way!
    That's a good question.

I don't do specific training for AR. Having two jobs, taking care of two kids, etc., I'm lucky if I get one or two runs in a week and a good ride on the weekend. I rely on having good overall fitness.

The main disciplines are mntn biking, orienteering, trekking, and paddling. Most of the ARs I've done, the mntn biking is mostly on dirt roads and is not very technical. Practice doing some 10-15 mile rides on dirt roads would be sufficient practice.

You should be able to find a local Orienteering club that puts on clinics and practice races. They will teach you how to use your compass and give tips on orienteering.

I just love hiking and biking and being outside. When I take the kids for hike in the woods--its training! Or when we go on a family bike ride to the beach--its more training! AR's are not just about being the fastest. They are more about being smart, making good decisions, and having stamina. After that, speed counts.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR