Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

For the past couple of years I've gathered with some of the local bike club folks and we've done a night gear test - light and reflectors, what is effective and what isn't.

Some of the things we've found

Do not rely on brightly colored clothing - even your screaming neon yellow jacket becomes invisible at dusk.

You need *both* lights and reflectors. Lights are most effective when it is the darkest. Reflectors work well when there are cars around, whose headlights might be drowning out your lights.

Moving lights and reflectors are very eye catching. Put them on things that turn - like your wheels and things that move up and down - your legs.

Reflective sidewalls are very cool - until they get dirty and then they don't reflect much any more, so keep them clean.

Most cyclists are most invisible from the side - we pretty much all had front and rear lights, but cars on side streets may not see you if you don't have a light that shines to the side. (like a down low glow or valve stem lights).

The Dinotte tail light is like a miniature sun......

My personal set up is:
    a Minewt on my handlebars
    a red flasher/reflector combo on my messenger bag (I should get another for my bike - this one is now on my bag because the clip broke)
    an LED flashlight rubber banded to my helmet (this one is for pointing at drivers and extra light when its really dark. I chose an LED flashlight instead of a bike specific light because it is very small and very light)
    a white Knog on my front messenger bag strap (I lost the red one that used to be on the back )
    valve stem lights - these are *very* noticeable, probably the best light I have for sheer what's that factor - mine are green.
    a band of reflective ribbon on my messenger bag strap. (the other folks at the night light test said this was very effective)
    a band of reflective ribbon on the bottom of my messenger bag
    reflective leg bands
    reflective heels on my shoes (I have winter Sidis) - and my new tights have reflective piping on the back of the legs.
    I used to have some 3m reflective stickers on my fender/flap too - but the fender broke and I had to replace it. I don't think I've put more on since then.
    Last edited by Eden; 09-10-2009 at 08:05 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

oh and btw - keep your lights consistent with other traffic. Don't put a red flasher pointing to the front of your bike.... you appear to be going the opposite direction that you really are. This can be really freaky if you are on a MUT and suddenly you realize someone who you thought was going away from you is actually coming towards you...

White light towards the front, red/amber lights to the rear
    have fun with your side lights, they can be most any color except.....
    Some states (like this one) specify *no* flashing blue lights - these are reserved for the exclusive use of police
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    Nope, it's just not practical when I have to wear a suit and have nowhere convenient to shower...but, if I did, as Indi said, I'm convinced that I wouldn't have been as nervous on a commuter with more suitable tires.

Tom, Preston did take us out...but sunset here is a 8:20 right now meaning that it's not dark until close to Saturday's finish time of 9PM...but, that man has some serious lights! I was also amazed at the difference that the reflective sidewals make!
    Preston said a little while back that he was amazed how much he had invested in bike lights, and how grateful he was that Mrs. Preston didn't realize that ;-) After seeing his rig at a training seminar back last December, I went out and invested in a set of Dinottes, and have been very happy with them. That tail light wards off wheelsuckers, and when I turn the Stella on, all the bike ninjas squawl as well ;-) on a straight street or trail, I can pick out the ninjas - joggers or bikers - at more than a quarter mile if they've got any movement or reflectivity. (And then they yell at me for my lights ;-) )

For those curious, here's one of the demos that they run at the LCI training course, this one in North Carolina last year...

LCI Night Ride – How Visible are You?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epZdXfvrRmU

Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath View Post
    Preston said a little while back that he was amazed how much he had invested in bike lights, and how grateful he was that Mrs. Preston didn't realize that ;-)
    I suspect that Mrs. P is very happy Mr. P is VERY visible

Plus, he get's good deals at Expo's
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

When is it best to use flashing lights versus non-flashing up front? I don't want to blind oncoming drivers, but I want to see and be seen. Is there a rule of thumb, or is it just my preference?

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    When is it best to use flashing lights versus non-flashing up front? I don't want to blind oncoming drivers, but I want to see and be seen. Is there a rule of thumb, or is it just my preference?
    Some people may not agree with me but as a driver or an observer of other cyclists I think a flashing light is more visible and more indicative that you are a bicycle. As a cyclist I need a steady light to see by.

Personally I use both. My flashing light is not a bright as my steady light and my steady light is pointed at the ground so that it is not blinding people.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Some people may not agree with me but as a driver or an observer of other cyclists I think a flashing light is more visible and more indicative that you are a bicycle. As a cyclist I need a steady light to see by.
    I agree with this. While reading through this thread, I was remembering a couple of instances when, while driving, I noticed a cyclist with flashing red lights clipped to the back of his/her jersey. It was a clearly visible sight, and it got my attention because it wasn't anything I was used to seeing on the road. I wondered what in the world it was - and I got in the other lane and watched out for it and then was able to pass safely. As a cyclist, that's what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastAmy View Post
    I ADORE riding in the dark/wee morning hours! Much less traffic in my area, which is key for me. ETA: The silence of darkness is also great. I love being able to hear a car coming before I even see headlights.
    ME TOO!!! I LOVE early morning hours. I use to commute to work at 4am every day until the office became an 8-5 shop (I can't believe, in this day and age, they did this, so I am PI****, and angry), but I still get up at an early hour (now 4:30am, was 3:30am) and go out for a spin. I usually only can do 12.5 miles before I have to hit the showers and get ready for the bus. I have always had, what I thought a good set up for a dark (early hours) commute... Minute II headlight with several white blinkies in the front and a bike planet flashing light hanging off my camelback, and another red strobe type light (can't remember the name) off my pannier, in the back. My DH said I was lit up like a christmas tree, AND I FELT SAFE!!!

I see so many joggers now that I just ride for the fun of it in the early morning and I yell at them "GET A LIGHT, YOU CAN't BE SEEN!!!). I don't know what they think, but as a jogger was hit and killed on Friday morn, maybe my warning will get someone to listen.

I miss my morning commute more than anyone can imagine (except for someone else who might have one), but I absolutely love my morning ride. I know my weather will be changing soon and it will be too cold/wet to continue, but I will never give it up. It is scary at times when I hear sirens and wonder, uh oh, where is that coming from, but the air is so clean and fresh...the sounds are of night hawks and occassional cat fights...it is so wonderful for an urbanite who has to face the humdrum of daylight hours....anyway, I am rambling.

LIGHT UP and witness the early morning....it is wonderful!!!!

So, I'm in the dark riding club! I went for my first one last night after I got home from work. I was disappointed that rain was still falling when I woke up in the morning and I decided not to ride. The rest of the day got continually better, and it was lovely when I got home. Bf had the night off, and when I decided to go for a ride at 6:30, he asked if instead I would rather walk downtown and get some gelato. Oh, that was tempting, but the ride still sounded better! Off I went.

I planned my route so it wouldn't be truly dark until I was back on the road with street lights. While it was dusk, I had my lights on strobe just for safety. My front light was a cateye I stole off bf's commuter, and I have to say, it really sucked. Vision-wise, the first thing to go, way before it was even a little dark, was the ability to see rocks in the road. I only hit one, but I pretty much know this road better than the back of my hand. I know every pothole and crack, but rocks move, so not seeing them coming is an issue. So, after I hit my rock, I decided I'd better slow it down a little to possibly see them coming. The light really isn't good enough for that even at slow speed, as I hit a stick a little later, but I made it through without flatting!

Then I settled into it, and really liked it. It felt very "in the moment". Then, as I'm in this really focused place, I'm surprised by a sound quickly approaching from the back. It was another rider, no lights, no helmet, break-neck speed, we all know him, it's our friend "Fred"! . He flew past me. Must be nice to not care.

Cars gave me lots of room. I knew I could be seen when the young guy yelled something at me out the window. I'm sure it was something like Wow, you're amazin'!

Anyway, I'm hooked. I know I can safely commute with some better lights. It was fun.

Congratulations! You're amazing!
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    Congratulations! You're amazing!
    I know you are but what am I!

too late!

great thread! just wish i had seen it 5 days ago.....Ive been commuting since last april with no issues. i leave my house at 6am for a 5 mile ride. None of my route is really busy, in fact, what isn't through neighborhoods is on roads with good bike lanes. As sunrise has been getting later, my ride has been getting darker. While ive thought about changing my work schedule so i could commute in the light, the early morning ride is kind of nice and there is much less traffic. So last friday, i was pedaling along through the neighborhoods and it happened to be trash day. While i had a headlight it was more focused on the ground for potholes. i didnt even see the trash can (in salt lake they are 3.5 feet high and 2.5 feet around). There is also street parking along this road and the homeowner had placed the trash can way out in the street -beyond where the cars park-so the trash truck could get to it. To make a long story short, i ended up in the er with a "broken shoulder" and "broken elbow". I have surgery on Wednesday for the elbow and the doc says i wont be riding for three months. Needless to say i'm bummed. Not only because i wont be riding for a while but this incident has given fuel to my husband who doesn't think road riding is safe, much less commuting in the dark......

my lesson is while it is IMPERITIVE to make sure you are visible when you are on the road, you also need to be able to SEE where you are going-even when you do the same route and know it well...

Quote Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
    To make a long story short, i ended up in the er with a "broken shoulder" and "broken elbow". I have surgery on Wednesday for the elbow and the doc says i wont be riding for three months. Needless to say i'm bummed. Not only because i wont be riding for a while but this incident has given fuel to my husband who doesn't think road riding is safe, much less commuting in the dark......

my lesson is while it is IMPERITIVE to make sure you are visible when you are on the road, you also need to be able to SEE where you are going-even when you do the same route and know it well...
    Ouch! I hope you heal up quickly, and you are back on the bike soon! I will think of your story when I ride on trash day forever-more!

OW! You poor thing!

Red, I use both a flashing front and a steady front. I have a "headlight" to light up the lane in front of me and a flasher on the helmet.
    I can do five more miles.

I'll probably keep the cateye up front just for the strobe, and I'm going to the lbs tomorrow to get a better quality light. I think I'm getting something by Minewt. I also had to wear my winter jacket even though it was really warm because it has great reflective piping, and none of my lighter weight jerseys do. So I'm probably also going to do something about that, maybe reflective straps for arms and legs.