Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

As a rule of thumb, think about the answer to this question:

How would this place look if every single person passing by discarded a _[insert name of the item you're thinking about discarding]___?

If the sight is not pretty, then don't do it.

Back when I was in college, in Tucson, I used to love hiking in the mountains north of the city. Tried a little experiment while on a hike on the north side of the mountain. For those not familiar with arid ecology, the north side of mountains will be moister than the southern slopes. Took my left over orange peel, rolled a rock over, stuck it underneath. Several months later, late fall, as I recall, I rolled the rock back - the orange peel was still there. Packed out the peel. Haven't discarded an orange peel to the wild ever since. And if I'm inclinded to compost them, I chop them into bits.

I put everything vegetable matter in my compost pile here - but then I live in a hot muggy climate that gets lots of rain (more than Seattle!). Everything rots or molds here, or grows with absolute wild abandon.
    Beth

can you ladies recommend a good compost system?
    Move to NYC?! I have a most excellent compost system: M, W, F, Sa I can drop off my compostables at the green market 2 blocks away from home! Once or twice a year, I get a coupon to pick up soil. Sometimes living in NYC is very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen View Post
    Move to NYC?! I have a most excellent compost system: M, W, F, Sa I can drop off my compostables at the green market 2 blocks away from home! Once or twice a year, I get a coupon to pick up soil. Sometimes living in NYC is very convenient.
    But that's too much like right

Most of us pay for our produce most of which goes to waste; the outer leaves of the romaine lettuce for Caesar salad, peels and core from the apple, the above and afore mentioned orange peel etc, then we pay someone to haul it away most of which does NOT get composted, then when you need compost you buy it. Now that's the good ol' American way.

Drop off the compostables and get a coupon? Where's the profit in that?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
    Regarding Mr. Silver's three-point rule: Even if it's natural, rots quickly, and doesn't create a hazard, I wouldn't toss it. Think about what would happen if everyone threw their apple cores in the gutter during summer. Ew. So if I don't want all my neighbors doing it, I can't do it.
    +1 on this. Even natural, biodegradable garbage is still garbage and as such, should be packed out! Who wants to find somebody else's apple cores, banana peels etc. along the trail? Yuck.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I have a worm composting bin right in my kitchen. Most of our kitchen refuse goes in there, and three months later I get rich worm castings in return, which I use as fertilizer in my garden. I can't believe how much less gets thrown out in the trash (and off to the landfill) now. People can do this even in apartments, with a little rubbermaid tub under their sink, under the bed, or in a closet.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure I could not have a compost anything in my kitchen. We have really aggressive ants here in San Diego and it's a constant battle as it is.

I'll look into composters through our local waste management company, though. A friend told me that a nearby city was doing something similar to what Trek mentioned, so maybe ours is, too.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

what is considered litter

another thing is that when you toss anything organic out where people have domestic animals, or grazing animals, you are throwing out something that could potentially poison or make those animals ill. Just finished having my dog treated for vomiting and possible poisoning or pancreatitis from eating roadside trash along the street edge of our yard that got tossed out between the morning and evening trash patrols and got into the dog before I could get it.

If you can carry it in, you can carry it out. Please do so at all times. My yard is not your garbage can or compost heap.

hippie biker chick
    sugarland, texas
    Last edited by marni; 09-07-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling and context errors