Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hypothyroid meds and BC pills?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and just started to take Levothyroxine. My GP didn't say anything about not taking it with my BC pill each morning but the pharmacist said not to take them at the same time...I made DH ask when he picked up the Rx. But in looking at the info that came with the med. it doesn't say anything about not taking it at the same time as BC pill.

Does anyone here know if it's okay to take them both at the same time each morning?
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

Not to take them at the same time as in not both at 8AM, or not on the same days at all?

I would call your doctor. Or the pharmacist. Or a different pharmacist to clear the details on this.

Could interfere with the effectiveness of your BC or make you feel icky.

Maybe it was merely a "both together at the same time might be hard on your stomach, so you might want to space them out"... but it could be much more complicated.

I would definitely call your doc! Good lucK!

I would ask a pharmacist, not a doctor, when you have drug questions, but I may be biased.

Estrogen can actually cause a decrease in the effectiveness of the thyroid hormone by increasing the level of thyroxine-binding globulin, and decreasing the amount of free T4. However, taking the pills a few hours apart is not going to change that. So I think the pharmacist was aware of the interaction, but didn't realize that changing the timing of the drugs doesn't really make a difference. It usually amounts to women on estrogen hormone pills need to have their levels monitored and adjusted accordingly if a problem exists.

But I'm not an RPh, just a PhD so I would talk to another pharmacist or ask this one to explain exactly why he recommended that.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by li10up View Post
    I was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and just started to take Levothyroxine. My GP didn't say anything about not taking it with my BC pill each morning but the pharmacist said not to take them at the same time...I made DH ask when he picked up the Rx. But in looking at the info that came with the med. it doesn't say anything about not taking it at the same time as BC pill.

Does anyone here know if it's okay to take them both at the same time each morning?
    I'd be interested to hear what you find out.
    I take Levothyroxine and Triphasil (BC). I take them both at the same time first thing in the a.m. I've been doing this for several years. And although every year, it seems, my Levoxyl dose goes up a bit, my Dr.'s know (OB-Gyn and GP) that I'm taking both, and no one bats an eye.
    Haven't died yet, and both appear to be working successfully (with the caveat that my dose goes up which can be expected or at least isn't too surprising.).

I don't take BC (too old for that, thank heavens!). But I know that I have to take my Synthroid when I first awaken and be careful not to eat first and wait at least 30 minutes after before I consume anything else other than coffee, tea or water. Also, don't take vitamins, calcium supplements, etc. prior to taking Synthroid as they can block the absorption.

Agreed with others to ask pharmacist, but sharing that Synthroid can have absorption issues making it less effective.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

I have had my thyroid removed and take levothyroxine and the only thing that I have ever been told was to wait 30 minutes to an hour for the medicine to absorb good before you eat anything and to wait 4 to 5 hours before you take vitamins but especially calcium.
    So I take my thyroid meds first thing in the morning with a bottle of water and I wait to even have coffee for at least 30 minutes. I take the rest of my meds in the evening before bed time. This way, I 'm not trying to remember in the middle of the day to take things. I use to try to remember to take my calcium after 4 or 5 hours, but I constantly forgot about it after the day got started so I just started taking everything else at night before bed.
    Last edited by DDH; 09-04-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    Donna