Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

LBS - What would you do?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Background: I ride with the LBS owner and a guy that works there about once a week. The guy that works there has been helping me out trying to turn me into a better rider. Anyhow, he suggested I go from my 50-34 chain rings to a 50-36. This is because I run out of gears in my small chain ring and frequently have to ride in the big ring. He said I wouldn't have to change out my 12-27 in the back. Another guy on the ride said he had a 50-36 that he would leave at the LBS for me to try out and if I liked them then I could order some to match my bike.

So I take my bike to the shop and ask them to change out the rings. I go to pick it up today and not only are the loaner rings on there but they put on a who NEW rear cassette and a NEW chain. I just spent $50 for a chain a couple of months ago! They never asked me if they could do this...they just did it! The guy that did the work wasn't there for me to talk to. The LBS owner said to talk to the other guy tomorrow since he didn't know why he changed all the other stuff out, and he let me take my bike without paying anything.

So my question is, should I pay for a new cassette and chain when I didn't even ask for them? What happens if I want to go back to my old setup? This whole thing was just supposed to be a test to see if I like the 50-36 better. If not I was going to go back to my 50-34. They did this to me once before with tires. I asked for x-brand tires and they didn't have them so I said I'd have to figure out what I wanted to go to...when I picked my bike up they had put on new tires that I didn't even pick out....and now, just a couple of months later they are falling apart...he is going to mfg. warranty them for me though...but I don't want those POS tires on my bike!

What would you do?
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

Sorry to be blunt here, but... sounds like your are totally getting scr*wed without even getting kissed.

Yea... I just had this same sorta bs happen w/my bottom bracket at the lbs. I did approve to go ahead and do the work it if was questionable. Fine. BUT, that shop has a place specifically where you mark "do you want your old parts back?". I said "yes". Part of which I wanted to the see the damage done to it. Guess what? My BB came up MIA. Hmm. Wonder whose bike it has been resold on for full price? Maybe not... but just bothers me. Thus, I feel your pain.

There is no reason that you shouldn't get your stuff back. Having spare whatever components can come in handy. Ghee... maybe the whole job should be free of charge from parts if it does not materialize?

I pretty much hate about all of our lbs we have here. My new roadie came outta town for one reason because of that. I don't know what else you have available to you... but shop around a new lbs. Are there any other cyclists besides these shop peeps you can ask?

My experience has been if a cyclist has been scr*wed over by a lbs... they will gladly tell you about. It's a marketing-death-wish to scr*w with peeps things they love the most.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by li10up View Post
    What would you do?
    Find a new place to take your bike. And get them to "make it right" with the tires, right away (this is a serious safety issue and is completely unacceptable).

Did they give you the original chain and cassette back?
    Last edited by Selkie; 09-03-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    Find a new place to take your bike. And get them to "make it right" with the tires, right away (this is a serious safety issue and is completely unacceptable).

Did they give you the original chain and cassette back?
    They gave me the cassette back but not the chain. Some of the teeth on the cassette do look worn but when the new chain was put on my bike (6 months ago) I didn't have any issues so I don't think the teeth were worn enough to cause a problem or else that new chain would have caused issues.

I don't think I should have to pay for a new chain (again)...the cassette... maybe... but geez shouldn't they have asked first?

There is only one bike shop here and the next closest is about 40 miles away.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

I would ask that they put your old cassette and chain back on the bike for free. Don't let them charge you for work or parts that you didn't ask for and didn't need. That said, be polite about. Tell your riding buddy that you think there must have been a misunderstanding and that you don't want the new parts. Hopefully, he won't give you any grief.

One of my local shops did something similar with my chain. A said I wanted a Campy Ultranarrow chain in advance of a big ride. They didnt' have one in stock and instead of calling to tell me that, they put a SRAM 10-speed chain on it. Well, my drivetrain didn't like that chain and I ended up having to get a Campy chain anyway. Because the shop had been "nice" enough do do the work at the last minute, I felt guilty complaining about it so I just sucked it up and took it to another shop. Lesson learned.

Now, I only deal with a shop that only does the work I've requested and only with the parts that I have specified. If they have any doubt or questions, they know to ask me first.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'd be frank but polite with them.

Tell them flat out that you will not be paying for work or parts you didn't authorize. Tell them they are welcome to replace your old parts and keep the new stuff you didn't want (for free) if they wish.

Make it known that they have now done this twice and it's unacceptable; if it continues to occur you will find someone else to do the work. (They are, I assume, friends; let them know what the issue is in no uncertain terms and give them a chance to fix it first IMO).

Let them know that you are OK with repairs taking longer IF they vet the repairs/options through you first, but that they MUST vet the repairs/replacements with you first either at time of drop off or as a problem is noticed. (ie: I'm fine with my repair taking longer because we had to play phone tag)

Many shops, I'm sure, get used to the type of customer that don't know and don't care what goes on the bike, but they want it done ASAP. Making it known that you aren't that person *should* solve the issues and if not then it's time to find a mechanic that will listen to you.

i dont get what the problem is with the 50-34? do you just not like the big chain ring? i absolutely love my compacts, but i do a lot of shifting between big and small rings. anyway, i think you've so far gotten good advice, but it's just hard for us XX chromosomes to be confrontational. but pay for a new cassette that you didnt even ask for?? no way. i agree with the frank but polite response - and tell them to put it back to the way it was.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

I'm confused, so forgive me, but I'm gonna have to ask a stupid question:

Background: Anyhow, he suggested I go from my 50-34 chain rings to a 50-36. This is because I run out of gears in my small chain ring and frequently have to ride in the big ring.
    Isn't that what the big ring is for?

I got my rings changed because I couldn't get a small enough gear. I was walking my bike up hills. What I needed was not within the range given by my 2 rings. So I switched my small ring for something smaller. (I also switched my big ring for something smaller)

Now, if I ever became a total stud muffin and found myself spinning empty on my largest gear, I might need to switch my big ring for something bigger... but that's not likely to happen for me!

I understand switching rings to get a gear that is outside your current range. Done it myself. But I'm lost as to why he wanted you in the smaller ring more.

Were you cross chaining?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post

I got my rings changed because I couldn't get a small enough gear. I was walking my bike up hills. What I needed was not within the range given by my 2 rings. So I switched my small ring for something smaller. (I also switched my big ring for something smaller)

Now, if I ever became a total stud muffin and found myself spinning empty on my largest gear, I might need to switch my big ring for something bigger... but that's not likely to happen for me!

I understand switching rings to get a gear that is outside your current range. Done it myself. But I'm lost as to why he wanted you in the smaller ring more.

Were you cross chaining?
    Because a lot of times I have to go from the small chain ring to the big chainring and then back down to the small chain ring which isn't efficient. By gaining another gear I can cruise more without all the double shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post

Were you cross chaining?
    I very rarely use my lowest gear. Also, recently my fitness has improved a lot and I've dropped 30 pounds since January. So even though I'll be losing my lowest gear I'll be gaining better gear ratios and won's spin out so soon while in my smaller chain ring.

I very rarely use my lowest gear. Also, recently my fitness has improved a lot and I've dropped 30 pounds since January. So even though I'll be losing my lowest gear I'll be gaining better gear ratios and won's spin out so soon while in my smaller chain ring.
    Maaaaan, I wish I had that problem.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.