Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NY Times article about ibuprofen use and exercise

To disable ads, please log-in.

I remember hearing several of you say that there have been occasions when you've taken ibuprofen before some kind of workout and have felt unpleasant effects, so thought you all would be interested in this article.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...g-exercise/?em
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Very interesting - thanks for posting that.

I once read some book about the r4's and exercise (this is about then endurox r4 came out...) and it pretty much recommended taking ibuprofen before exercising to minimize muscle damage.

And while I do confess to using ibuprofen fairly regularly, I'm glad that I'm mostly lazy and really don't actually take it before exercise... I take it if I'm really sore.

I wonder if the actual study covered the use of ibuprofen only for a big event. He talks about regular use before every workout, but not about intermittent use only for a big event.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I wonder if the actual study covered the use of ibuprofen only for a big event. He talks about regular use before every workout, but not about intermittent use only for a big event.
    I'm going to see if I can find the original article... if you read some of the comments after it - sorenzo's in particular... did they control for which athletes went in with injuries and were taking the ibuprofen for that? because they'd have more inflammation to begin with. I guess you'd have to measure their inflammation levels before & after the race to do it properly.

Thanks! I'm interested in what it says because I think there a lot of people who don't use Vitamin I routinely but may use it on days when extra long and intense effort is involved. Like only for a century ride but not for the training leading up to it, especially if you're, ahem, a bit undertrained.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 09-02-2009 at 11:02 AM.

For me, it called into question my daily use of meloxicam (Mobic--also an NSAID) for my arthritic knees. I don't take the ibuprofen except under extreme need because I take the meloxicam daily. I'm wondering if those who took it regularly built up a tolerance or something? And am I in the same situation with the meloxicam?

I will say this...the meloxicam makes me able to get out of bed in the morning and walk down the stairs with very little pain, and I'd have to have a specific compelling reason before I gave up that little bit of heaven.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I'm always surprised by people who find ibuprofen actually relieves pain... I take it when I have a sprained ankle, wrist pain, knee pain... and I can take 800 mg of ibuprofen, and I still feel the joint afterwards and the pain... Ibuprofen's never really made pain go away, but what I do find is that the inflammation/swelling goes away quicker if I take ibuprofen... If my wrists flare up, I can take ibuprofen for a couple days and then they'll go back to normal.... or I can not take anything and a week or two later they'll still be hurting...

I don't know if this is a tolerance I've built up to ibuprofen or it just never really worked on me to begin with. (I only take 800 mg if I've just sprained an ankle or something like that... my regular dose is 2)

However, my bf'll take 1 ibuprofen very reluctantly and claim it makes broken leg pain go away or something like that... And not take it because he wants to be able to feel the pain in case he's messed up something in his body and he wants the feedback. I dunno, but I get plenty of feedback while taking ibuprofen.

It works for me when muscle spasms or strain are involved. That's why Motrin is prescribed for menstrual cramps. I don't think it masks pain since it is really a muscle relaxant.

Headache - Tylenol
    Muscle spasms - IB
    Fever - alternating regimen
    Last edited by SadieKate; 09-02-2009 at 01:04 PM.

The original article says that subjects were placed into either the Ibuprofen or Control groups based on their historical use during training and competition. But later they talk about the I group having used it the day before and the day of the race. They also note that they did not control for use of the drug in the weeks prior to the race. Which to me doesn't quite hold up the same definition of "historical" as one would think. Admittedly I don't have the time to print and read the whole article, but it seems that they assume the I group use it on a regular basis, but I don't see that they actually knew that. They gave them questionairres and I guess that is where they got that info, but it isn't spelled out very well in the article.

And I see nothing about athletes with injuries being excluded or treated as a sub-group in any analysis. But again, not a thorough read of the article.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

According to this:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a682159.html

Ibuprofen works by stopping the body's production of a substance that causes pain, fever, and inflammation. Nothing about being a muscle relaxant.

I was in college when Ibuprofen became available without a prescription, and the professor I worked for had me do research on pain killers at the time (I don't remember why, since he was a marketing professor, but anyway.) The articles I read were about the dose-response relationship for Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen (Tylenol). For both drugs, the research found that the dose-response curve is not linear, and that the response levels off as the dosage increases. Which means if you take 500 mg, you get less than twice as much of the effect you get at 250 mg. That might explain why some people don't get much relief from acute pain with ibuprofen if they're already taking it regularly for something else.

NY Biker, Thats right it is not a muscle relaxer. It is for pain and inflammation (inflammation = pain) (I'm a nurse in a surgeon's office- we preach this stuff daily)
    Really good article It was interresting. But I would like to know what the questions and avalible responses were if it were a paper survey.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Ibuprofen works by stopping the body's production of a substance that causes pain, fever, and inflammation. Nothing about being a muscle relaxant.
    Interesting since I had medical professionals tell me it was a muscle relaxant, but this was 25 years ago and they may have been putting it into "layman's terms" which frickin' drives me up the wall.

It is not a muscle relaxant, it is an anti-inflammatory, pain reliever and anti-pyretic. But you are right, someone likely thought they would make it easier to understand and then actually gave you incorrect information. I've been a Dr of Pharmacology for (oh dear lord, 17 yrs) and it has never been thought to be a muscle relaxant in any of that time. They were probably trying to explain why it is better for menstrual cramps than other NSAIDs, but I don't recall ever reading anywhere why that is, just that we know it to be so. Which is not uncommon with our knowledge of drugs.

The original article talked about here, does not give a sample of the questionnaire and although they say they asked about prior history, subjects were put into the groups based on use the day before and day of the race. I guess you could argue that the subjects that used ibuprofen would have been people that normally used it, but not sure you can tell that from the publication (and there are several papers that seem to have come out of this study).
    Last edited by Possegal; 09-02-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I've been a Dr of Pharmacology for (oh dear lord, snip yrs) . . .
    Cool. You have an opinion on my spray vs pill question regarding B12 and D supplements?

I feel like the entire supplement industry has a snake oil salesman lurking around every corner.