Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

not going clipless - but now what?

To disable ads, please log-in.

With my new job, I went from a nice 4 mile commute on a mtn bike to an unhappy 1 hour car commute across town. My plan is to gradually take on a 20 mile each way commute on a road bike (arriving soon!). Bianchi Dama She ... so excited!

After researching pedals (lots in this forum), I've decided to not go clipless (!!!), based on the following:

• rarely rains in LA (and if it does I can drive or bike/bus)
    • used to the freedom of my platform pedal mtn bike as well as skateboarding (and hated snowboarding because I felt strapped in)
    • will make a lot of stops due to stoplights, and may need to walk my bike some of the way. I also like to stop and smell the roses.
    • worried about falling due to crazy LA traffic around me (plus I'm commuting alone).
    • knee problems that I don't want to exacerbate
    • I like wearing a variety of shoes
    • I am known get distracted, so clipping process will lead to a lot of unnecessary falls.
    • I have small feet (size 6)

However..

• I have a semi-steep hill on the way home, and may have some hills en route to work (not sure yet).
    • Since it will be a long commute, I would like to push for as much efficiency as I can comfortably and safely get.

Here are my latest top 5 based off reading a bunch of internet stuff, but this is all so new to me:

1. Power Grip Pedals
    2. BMX platform pedals
    3. BMX double-sided pedals?
    4. BMX flat pedals wth replaceable "spikes"?
    5. Toe clips?

Note that I don't know what most of these are. Is there a hybrid pedal? Any recommendations overall? Pro-clipping thoughts also welcome.

Anyway, I'll try to test some out at the LBS. I tried the cages and wasn't the biggest fan, but maybe it takes practice.

Thanks!

You have hybrid pedals yes.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/88_3332...rm-Pedals.html

They are very very handy.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I love my Power Grip straps, just my opinion.
    http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/produc...ection=product
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Toe clips are the classic standby. They work fine. I have campus pedals on my commuting bike--SPD on one side and flat pedals on the other side. That way, I can choose to wear regular shoes (but I rarely do).

Not that it matters, but just because I don't understand some of your reasonings against clipping in - Having size 6 feet makes no difference, because I have size 6 feet and ride clipped. I have issues with tracking in one knee, but I use speedplay frogs which have enough float that as long as I have my saddle at the right height my knee doesn't get irritated.

Zen'll chime in, but I think she really likes the SKS half clips.

Two of my road bikes (Surly Cross Check, Giant RS940) have BMX pedals. The Giant has MKS molded BMX platforms and the Surly has Crank Bro 50/50 BMX with the adjustable screws/spikes.

I ride the Surly for my 42 mile commute over 5 of Seattle's 7 biiiiig hills. (and several smaller un-named hills. we have hills here.) I love the 50/50 pedals. They grip like mad. I never have hot foot. My feet don't slip even in the rain. (we have rain here) My knee and hip are very happy. I can wear any shoes: Doc Martens, Keens, Chacos...

You can customize your "spike" pattern and depth with the Crank Bro 50/50, and you can even switch out the colors of the plate on half the pedal. (a box of spikes is about $15 and will last a long long time. not sure how much the sexy color plates cost.)

I was a devout clip user for nearly 30 years, then was clipless for a few. The BMX are much better than clips for me, and on par/slightly better than clipless for me.

From the Crank Brothers website: http://www.crankbrothers.com/tech_5050.php

BTW - I also used to skateboard (loooong time ago). If you are like me, and your feet want to wrap around things, and feel what you're doing through your feet, you might really like BMX pedals. Vans do VERY nicely on the Crank Bro pedals, too! They mesh really well with the spike patterns.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 09-01-2009 at 06:09 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

yay

You are all awesome! Even more delicious pedals (with model names and etc) for me to look into. It's like waking up to a Christmas tree full of pedaling gift options underneath.

Catriona -- some of my reasoning is probably showing more how overwhelmed and new I am at weighing my options here. I think I was applying shoe size to pedal size in the same way I was applying my height (5 ft) to a proper bike size.

I think this is the best selling point for me ... I yes'ed all over the place:

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    BTW - I also used to skateboard (loooong time ago). If you are like me, and your feet want to wrap around things, and feel what you're doing through your feet, you might really like BMX pedals. Vans do VERY nicely on the Crank Bro pedals, too! They mesh really well with the spike patterns.
    I might start with these pedals (if my LBS carries them), then next year consider power grips, toe clips, or hybrids.

Thanks again everyone! I feel more prepared and confident - perfect when I head to the LBS later this week to pick up my bike and choose starting pedals.
    Last edited by aeiea; 09-01-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: happiness