Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My Sports bras are grey!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone with any ideas about how to-
    1) Turn formerly white sports bras back to their old colour
    2) Keep new bras from going grey in the first place
    3) And get rid of the orange sweat stains that eventually appear.

My bras are made of spandex, elastine and nylon so I am not sure if bleach would be good for them. I normally wash them with my cycle gear in a machine but always put them in a laundry bag (cloth not mesh) to protect them. I have tried nappy soak which did nothing. I wear deodorant- is that the cause of the orange stains?

I can't help you with 1. but 2. and 3. are easy. Buy black ones
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Yeah, I pretty much have every color but white & pastels for sports bras.

Will bleach help?

are you washing them hot enough?

I've occasionally had some luck using baking soda (made into a paste with a little water, rubbed into the stains, and let it sit before laundering) on sweat stains. I've heard that adding a cupful of baking soda straight into the washing machine helps brighten things up, too, but I've never tried that. I'd definitely be afraid to use bleach on those fabrics.

I ruined many light-colored shirts before I realized my anti-perspirant use was contributing to the gross stains. Now I pretty much skip deodorant completely for exercise--I'm all sweaty anyway, what's the difference?

Ground

Hey KS, have you tried the Ground Effect sports bras? NOt sure if they're simlar to what you wear but they're worth a gander.

Quote Originally Posted by badgercat View Post
    I've occasionally had some luck using baking soda (made into a paste with a little water, rubbed into the stains, and let it sit before laundering) on sweat stains. I've heard that adding a cupful of baking soda straight into the washing machine helps brighten things up, too, but I've never tried that.
    Yep, that helps, along with washing your fabrics hot enough. (60 °C or 140 ° F). And I use plain vinegar as a fabricsoftener. It works a charm and it keeps the colors intact!

Oh yes one more thing: are you using your own washing machine or are you going to the laundry? When I lived in an appartment I always went to the laundry, and the machines there wash too fast. (max 45 mins or so). My washing machine does it in 120 mins... A HUGE difference. Everything went gray at the laundry.
    Last edited by papaver; 08-31-2009 at 10:50 PM.

High temps are super hard on stretch fabrics though, so if you go that route be prepared to replace your sports bras often.

I don't get those stains since I stopped using anti-perspirant. It made me smell worse anyhow. I use the crystal deodorant now. No smell, no stains.

My white bras turn grey eventually too, but it's because there's a bit of iron in my well water. Not much to do about it, other than dark bras.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post
    I normally wash them with my cycle gear in a machine but always put them in a laundry bag (cloth not mesh) to protect them.
    Seems like washing white bras with black shorts is a recipe for turning them grey. I was mine in a laundry bag with my other bras and white stuff. No idea about the orange stains.

I remove stains by place up to three tablespoons of vinegar or fresh lemon juice in about a cup of regular tap water. Rub the mixture into the stained area using circular motions. Allow the solution to penetrate the stain for up to an hour. Wash your shirt using your washing machine's cold setting.
    Moreover I use used a sports bra from upliftedlingerie. Would recommend to anyone who’s felt bouncing or needed to ‘hold on’ whilst doing star jumps, burpees etc. You can wear it underneath a top so no one can see it.