Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Harassed by the Private Fuzz

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm mad enough to bite nails in half.

I stopped by PerformanceBike today to get a new double set of flashing tail
    lights added to the bike now that the days are getting shorter.

I pedalled out and across the street to the Christiana Hospital where I was
    going to catch the DART 33 bus. (It originates at the Christiana Hospital on
    Sundays).

I was almost to the front entrance of the hospital on the circular drive when
    the Christiana Hospital Security car stopped me and informed me that bicycles
    are banned from Christiana Hospital Grounds since it's private property. He
    added that "what if you are in an accident?" I could make NO sense of this
    since it seemed to also apply to motorists and not just bicyclists.

I'm 63 riding legally with all the right safety equipment and then some and not
    an adolescent kid with no helmet riding on the wrong side of the road and
    causing problems where a security officer would be right to intervene and
    suggest they obey the laws.

I tried to suck it up and just assume that he was being efficious and not just
    rude but when he said, "Now turn your bike around and go back the way you came
    and go all the way around the hospital on the highway." That's when I realized
    it was a POWER TRIP.

Since a bike is now my ONLY form of transportation does this mean that I can't
    ever:

1. ride my bike to a doctor's appt at the hospital
    2. ride my bike to visit a patient
    3. ride my bike to catch the DART 33 bus that stops there

This is RIDICULOUS!

Does anyone one the law on "private" property and bicycles? Can they actually
    BAN bicycles?

Other than writing to the hospital administration for clarification (and cc'ing
    Deldot and the News Journal) how should I proceed with this?
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

Were you trying to ride on a pedestrians-only road/sidewalk/whatever, or would cars be able to drive where you were?

If it's the former, I hate to say that I'm not quite as upset. (Although I did ride a bike across campus when I attended uni.) If it's the latter, I'd be absolutely pissed, and would see it as potentially unlawful discrimination. I'd throw every resource I had at them.
    Fall down six times, get up seven.
    My Blog/Journal: Fat Athlete

No, no. I was completely legal riding on the road going in the right direction at at leisurely 8 miles per hour. Yes, I'm ready to fry their bacon over this.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

Okay. (a) Do they also ban pedestrians, since what if they were in an accident? For that matter, what if someone drove to the hospital and then slipped and fell getting out of their car? and (2) If I'm going to be in an accident, I might as well do it in front of a hospital, that way the doctors will be right there to help me.

Anyway, now that I've got the sarcasm out of the way, were there any signs stating that bicycles are prohibited? Where I work, there are signs prohibiting skateboards and stuff like that in the parking garage. If bikes are not allowed at the hospital, it should be clearly marked.

Also, is there any cycling advocacy group that you be able to advise you? Either a regional group or statewide? If not, maybe someone at the League of American Bicyclists would have information that could help.

Good luck.

I just posted to the local bike advocacy group. No, there are no signs banning bikes.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Oh I'd be furious and jump all over that one. Private property or not, if that's their policy it needs to be stated very clearly with signs everywhere. And does the bus company know about this policy? If not, get them involved too since it hinders their passengers from catching their bus. Maybe they move the bus stop just off hospital property.
    Grrrr... that makes me angry right along with you.
    Power trip indeed... report him (especially with the assumingly condescending tone when he told you to "now turn that bike around and go back the way you came." OMG
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I would ask to speak to the security supervisor or hospital administrator. I think security guards sometimes try to do too good a job.

[ Off topic ]

Hey there Pardes, welcome back !!!

[ / back to topic ]

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Well, if you really want to change the policy, why not stage a protest?

edit: Peaceful, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    [ Off topic ]

[ / back to topic ]
    Howdy Howdy! It's good to be back! Haven't missed a day of bike commuting in 14 months!

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Well, if you really want to change the policy, why not stage a protest?

edit: Peaceful, of course!
    Now f I an just get the rest of the "seniors" in Delaware on a bike for a staged "Gray going green PROTEST RIDE at the hospital.....

Mister security guard was being an a**hole. Talking to his supervisor will only get you the same reaction. His boss will back him because he doesn't want an "issue". I would write a scathing letter to the head of the hospital including the security administrator. He is the guy who hired the man you dealt with or has hired the private company giving his hospital bad press. Unfortunately if it is a private hospital, bicycles can be banned and their insurance company might enforce this. Stupid...yes! It should be posted to be enforced.

Welcome back! I would have called the police. That's ridiculous!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

[ Off topic ]

[ / back to topic ]
    Right!!! Welcome back (to us at least!)!

And I'd be pretty lit about that also. Idiots.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

[ Off topic ]

[ / back to topic ]
    She's Back! She's Back!

...and, yes, I believe they can do this, but I also believe that just the least amount of PR buzz can/will cause this to change.

I would encourage you to:
    - register your complaint in writing to the hospital CEO using some buzz words that the local advocacy group can provide you.
    - go ahead and make this an issue with the local media...it might be a VERY interesting story to a reporter with an attitude.

And finally, don't wait so long before you check back in!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers