Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Support for boyfriend starting cyclocross

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey everyone,

My boyfriend, an avid rider and LBS manager, is going to give cyclocross a shot this season. I've watched a couple of videos with them and I'm excited to see a race in real life. I'm just not sure what to expect or how to support him at these events. I've gone to numerous crits, so I'm accustomed to these types of events and also road ride myself. Any tips? Can I hand him water bottles along the route?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Starla

Cowbells seem to be the choice way of showing support.

Out of curiosity, do that have "prem" laps as the do in crits? If so, they typically use cowbells to signal a prem lap to the riders around here so I don't want to confuse anyone by banging a cowbell around.

Oh, I don't know...I only went to one cyclocross race, and lots of people were ringing cowbells. On the hosting lbs website, it said "don't forget your cowbells!" so I figured it was pretty standard.

oxygen might be helpful.

seriously, unlike a crit or most road races, there is really no opportunity to sit in, suck a wheel, or otherwise recover. You are going full out the whole time, which is why cx is so hard (and back in my day not exactly loved, except it kept you in really good shape during the off season!).

Cowbells!

There aren't typically prime laps in cross (at least, not in Chicago). Cowbells are a staple. At our races, we just stand around and scream our heads off, cheering the racers on. That's the best you can do to support someone. Other than, have his water ready when he finishes, and maybe a garbage can nearby in case he needs to vomit.

Really, I promise, it IS fun!