Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Owlie, do you release the brakes first?
    Yes. That's the odd part. Even released, there's almost no clearance between the brake pads and the tires.

Wow, Ladies! You are so inspiring! I haven't been on line in awhile - started a preschool in September with 71 students and right now we are very busy! However, I am still able to fit in some riding and running, hoping to do a duathlon late next spring or early summer. I have to say that I recently bought a Kurt Kinetic trainer (which I absolutely LOVE) so that I can ride at the end of the day or early in the morning indoors since it gets dark so early here. But on Sunday it was 70 degrees and I sent out in shorts and short sleeve shirt and road a 22 mile hilly ride a mile an hour faster than ever and kept the cadence at 90 or higher the whole way! I whole heartedly believe in the indoor trainer (and coach Troy!) for increasing my cadence and strength.

I LOVE the feeling of going out and riding farther than ever and exploring new parts of the country that I haven't seen. It is hard to compare that feeling to anything else - except to maybe add a 6 mile run to the end of the bike ride!!! Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the great work. You ladies Rock!!!

While on a ride this evening, I went past a roadside sign that says how fast you are going and I got up to 27 mph. A new personal best!
    Last edited by rubywagon; 11-11-2009 at 05:04 PM.

I just had to post how proud I am of myself for doing the dreaded hills on the way home from running errands. There are some pretty decent hills where I live (Iowa isn't as flat as you think) and there is one I avoid all the time and I did it today and didn't die. If anything I want to go ride more instead of writing journal reviews for class.

In September I did my first sprint triathlon (500m swim, 15k bike, 5k run) at the ripe young age of 46. Notice how I said "first"?

Owlie, it helps to let some of the air out of the tire before trying to take the wheel off; are you doing that? (For the same reason, don't inflate all the way before putting the wheel back on, but have some air in the new tube when putting it into the tire.)

Signed,

Learned the Hard Way

I've had my first road bike for about 10 days and finally have had the opportunity to really play with it this weekend. Friday I did 17 easy miles with my DH and MIL and today DH and I went for 30. Originally I had planned on 26.2 in honor of some friends who ran a brutal marathon today (Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon in TN), but I felt so good that the extra few miles were a complete pleasure.

DH (who is a cycling monster, even though he looks more linebacker than cyclist) said I took to the bike like a natural, not making a lot of noobie mistakes that he said are common. He thinks I will be pretty fast with some more consistent miles under my belt. This makes me , since fast is not an adjective that would be applied to me when it comes to running.

It's going to be really hard to be away from my bike for this long holiday weekend.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by owlice View Post
    Owlie, it helps to let some of the air out of the tire before trying to take the wheel off; are you doing that? (For the same reason, don't inflate all the way before putting the wheel back on, but have some air in the new tube when putting it into the tire.)

Signed,

Learned the Hard Way
    Even if they're mostly flat, it's still a bit of work. I don't know why Giant thought it was a good idea to put those tires on this bike, but they did. Other than that little problem, I like them, though...

What a day!

I'm so excited. I spent a couple of months looking for a bike, since I knew I wanted to start riding more. I'm moving to FL next year, out of the city, and have some great places to ride.

So I've started taking my son to the local park here, we can easily get there in about 5 minutes by bike from our house.

So today we went, him on his small child bike, and me on my fancier one. After five miles and 30 minutes on the playground he says "I'm not ready to go home yet." So we kept going up the parkway, and ended up doing 9 miles in all. Keep in mind he is 6, almost 7, riding a one gear bike with a seat that hits me just about six inches above me knee.

I can't believe how well he did and how much fun we had. As long as the weather holds we should have some great times, and I can't wait til next spring!!!!

Good job everyone! I have had my bike for about a month as well, I try to ride at least 2-3 days a week with having school and with the weather. During the summer I hope to be doing a lot more. I ride with my friend who is a junior pro, and he took me on a 28 mile route. It has a lot of hills, but one in particular that I can barely get my car up...I never thought Id make it but I did, and it was the best feeling! After that my legs were shot but I just love it so much!

I have doubled my mileage! It took me a full year to ride my first 1500 miles. It has taken me just six months to ride my second 1500 miles!

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

So Saturday we attended the adoption course, this evening i'm starting photography classes. Next week i'm picking up school again so I can teach at a university (2 year course). Next month were starting classes to become a fosterparent.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by papaver View Post
    So Saturday we attended the adoption course, this evening i'm starting photography classes. Next week i'm picking up school again so I can teach at a university (2 year course). Next month were starting classes to become a fosterparent.

--------------------
    I started playing cello again. Again. It's been a five years since the last time I started playing again. And 10 years since the time before that.

It's fun. Again. No pressure this time. It's just for me.

Yay Tulip! That's wonderful. I haven't quite gotten back to that point with music again... but I'm hopeful.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Cool Thanking whoever posted about "ta da" after crashing

Two of us went down in perfect unison this afternoon in a high wind gust and a patch of newly dumped gravel. The other young male rider shouted a very loud, heartfelt curse in front of several spectators and a bunch of kids walking on a field trip.

I shouted "ta da" as someone mentioned on this forum. It lightened up a scary moment and earned me a few style points from two of the men who were walking about six feet from the crash site.

I was wearing a helmet that made a nice, loud sound as it hit the sidewalk. My crash partner wore no helmet and had a messy gash on his head.

My hand is bruised, but not scraped. My crash partner had torn up palms.

The teacher turned to her students and said, "That's why you should always wear a helmet when you ride your bike." A sweet little boy said, "I want those hand things, too."

Thanks to everyone here for the safety reminders and great posts. And thanks to whoever it was who posted about "ta da" after falls. It made me feel cool after my crash.

I think my Sirrus and I may take tomorrow off, but thanks to good safety equipment we'll be rolling again in no time.

Best regards,
    Hunter