Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Trying to choose the right bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello,

I began riding last summer and am now ready to buy my first good bike. I have been looking at all of the popular brands (i.e. Trek, Specialized, Jamis, Cannondale, etc.) and have tried out a few of them. I am having a hard time deciding on what to pick.

I plan on using the bike to commute to and from school (<2 miles) everyday. However, I will really want to use the bike on trails and longer rides (>30 miles) around the Pittsburgh, PA area. Pittsburgh tends to be rather hilly, similar to but not as bad as Bay Area California.

My boyfriend swears by disc brakes so I am looking at the Giant Seek 2 which has hydraulic disc brakes. I'm not too keen on the look of the bike but it supposedly has the better parts for the price point.

I started a blog to track my experiences as a new biker. Please follow and give some suggestions as to the bike or type of equipment I need.
    http://thenewbiker.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

PT

Quote Originally Posted by curlieOne View Post

My boyfriend swears by disc brakes so I am looking at the Giant Seek 2 which has hydraulic disc brakes. I'm not too keen on the look of the bike but it supposedly has the better parts for the price point.
    Is your boyfriend going to ride this bike, or are you going to ride this bike?

What bikes have you liked?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I guess you're set on a flat bar road bike of some sort.

I wouldn't say that you need to make disc brakes a priority - any disc brakes in the price range you're looking at aren't going to be light, and they're going to make the bike you get overall probably have worse componentry. (I'm guessing the price point you're looking at is around that of the giant seek).

Disc brakes are relatively new in the cycling world... and remember people have been cycling for years without them in bad weather.

you just have to learn to ease up when you're cycling in the rain or snow or whatever, give yourself plenty of time to stop & take turns easy. I'm not saying that they aren't great, I just am not sure you should really make them a priority.

Do you have a place indoors to store your bike when you're commuting to school with it? If not, you might just want a junky bike to use for commuting, because getting your bike stolen will suck. It looks like you have a target bike from your blogspot, which should be fine for biking a couple of miles to school...

Look at some of the jamis bikes, they're usually fairly good for the money. Maybe look at a surly cross check if you want to go off road. I know the jamis aurora elite has disc brakes, but it might be out of your price range. You might want to look at some of the cyclocross bikes

If your bf's pretty good with fitting and knows a bit about bikes, he might be able to find you a good deal on a used bike on craigslist.

I don't specifically know anything about the giant seek or the specialized sirrus.