Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got my bike at the end of March, and I'm about to cross over 1500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    And to dust them
    That would have been satisfying-- to "chick" some young fellas on a hill--but they were cresting the hill as I approached the bottom. I have improved, but not THAT much!

I got my first road bike one year ago this 9/11 (my birthday). I can remember how hard the flat rides were as I slowly built the mileage and speed. This last weekend I went 70 miles to our "big hills" here in central Florida. I not only made every hill without using the "granny gear", but as the only female I finished the ride with the front group. I got my new bike Feb. 1 and on that ride I hit the 5000 mile mark. I LOVE RIDING MY BIKE!
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

What a great thread!

I live on top of a hill. It's not a big hill by most standards (I'm in Central Illinois). When I started riding, I could not get up the hill without getting off and walking. Now I can get up it without going anywhere near the lowest gear!
    Oh, yeah, I know how to use those gears now too.

This is a silly one, but there's a LONG way to go to get DH to understand some of the important things in cycling (like that his saddle should NOT sag to the rear left, and he should sit "straight" and not "twisted" on it, and that the saddle should be high enough....)

The other day, I got him to add some Nuun to his water after our ride, since he says he's a "waste case" after riding this summer -- and he said "That 'Alka Seltzer stuff'' was pretty good!" -- and actually considered doing things other than sitting all evening after the ride!

This means ONE of the issues may have been solved! (he may actually prefer gatorade or something, but at least he's now a believer) and MAYBE he'll be up to listening to other suggestions I might make?

Karen in Boise

Can we put non bike related stuff? If so:

I'm taking a class in medical billing and coding, the class is after work two nights a week. 2 more classes and I'm done at least with this class. Next up should be anatomy and medical terminology. Yikes
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Went my furthest ever today - 39 miles! Ordered my slicks too - can't wait!
    Amy

Kickin' it old school on my Huffy, but hey, I RIDE!

39 miles! Holy Cow!!! That is great! How do you feel? I can't wait to go that far...21 miles has been my record so far!
    Congrats! Did you get some shorts too??
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Did an eight mile training walk today -- dang it was hot! The last 3 miles were a bear, up until about .75 to go, I broke out my MP3 player -- Santana's Soul Sacrifice got me back to the start. I almost salsa danced down Natural Bridges Rd.

I fixed my neighbors kids bike She was riding around the condo grounds, then stopped when her chain fell off. Her mom could not get it back on the rear cog. The mutt and I were just back from a walk. I told her I"d be back and fix it. And I did!

Then we talked about how the bike was way too small. Her kid is ready for a new bike anyway. I recommended a local shop with a good selection of kids bikes.

Think I know a kid who's getting a new bike tomorrow.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

SpinSpinSugar Guest
    I fixed an old 3 speed bike I picked up at a garage sale for $5 yesterday. (in really good shape with fenders and a basket) I've never worked on a internally geared bike before. All it needed was a few adjustments to the cable and the shifter lever tightened back up and it was good to go.

As I was walking it down my driveway my next-door neighbor walked by, and I half-way joked "need a bike?" Her eyes got really big like saucers and she said "YES!! I do! My bike is too small and uncomfortable. That looks perfect for me! Can I trade you for it? Give you money?" ..Lol... I told her don't worry about it.. she could have it after I made sure it was safe to ride. So after cleaning it up this afternoon we will be delivering our neighbor her new/old bike.

Today I did a 16 mile ride 8 miles into the wind, towing my daughter in the trailer behind me. Ended up going a much hillier route than usual so I could go out into the wind instead of on the way back.

First long ride with hubby and he dusted me which was kind of irritating ~ but, what can you do ~ so much for a family ride lol.

But it's the first long ride I've done towing the little monkey. Of course she had to take a pit stop half way ~ which was good because my legs needed the break.
    One out of shape mom getting ready to bike across Kansas

I love reading these - so cool! We rock!

39 miles! Holy Cow!!! That is great! How do you feel? I can't wait to go that far...21 miles has been my record so far!
    Congrats! Did you get some shorts too??
    Honestly, I felt like I was going to die and it took me forever! (4 hours) I was too busy being proud of myself to care too much though. LOL. Haven't gotten the shorts yet. Maybe this coming weekend.
    Amy

Kickin' it old school on my Huffy, but hey, I RIDE!

That is a great achievement! I know how I felt after my first 20 mile ride....I came home, showered, and the next thing I knew it was 2 hours later and I was waking up from a nap! But I felt soooo good....
    Its so cool to hear everyone's great moments-I think its the best way to get inspired!
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Well, this proudness is for my son. He rode his bike to work today from his new apartment. Yesterday we helped him move some stuff that a friend was giving him for the place, and this friend lived by his office. Then we drove to his apartment. Some of the worst Boston/Cambridge/Somerville traffic imaginable. I would never ride in that!
    But he emailed me to say it took him about the same amount of time as from his old place, which was a couple of miles closer.
    I told him he deserves some nice cycling goodies from us!