Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have two! First is my longest ride to date this past Saturday (my bike was a whole week old!)- 12.5 miles, averaging about 12mph on generally flat terrain.

Second was today- new max speed of 24.3 on flat terrain!!! Yippee!

This biking thing is ridiculously addictive.

Yay! I am happy to see this thread is still going - and with so many awesome accomplishments. Way to go ladies!

My latest and greatest was a 50 mile ride on Sunday and I've finally gotten my average speed up over 13 MPH (I know, still slow to you roadies!). 50 miles, on a mountain bike and I still haven't even gotten my slicks - woo hoo! It was awesome, and I'm starting to wonder why I even want slicks, or a road bike for that matter. I feel a special kind of dorky cool riding long distances on my MTB, lol!
    Amy

Kickin' it old school on my Huffy, but hey, I RIDE!

Amy, that is great! There is nothing wrong with mountain bikes and distance!
    I can do five more miles.

Well pinkbike, you made my accomplishment sound kinda sad, but either way congrats on the fork maintanence. I was so excited that I installed my aerobars and handlebar tape. I felt like a queen!!! Also, I don't know if I should get too excited about this possible accomplishment, but I have done 3, 40 mile bike rides and tomorrow I'm going to attempt to do a 64 mile ride!!! I'm a little nervous and apprehensive, but hopefully I'll find the movtivation!!!
    ~~Help me in the fight to cure diabetes, by either joining my team, "The Freedom Riders" at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/thefreedomriders, or by donating at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/jake for the Tour de Cure in Indianapolis, Indiana on June 12, 2010~~

I love reading all of your accomplishments!

I entered my very first cycling race! It is in two weeks. I am terrified, and very excited.

dwellingup 100

I did the 44km option of the Dwellingup 100 today..One word: HILLY but tons of fun & some sweet sweet singletrack

I'll post a ride report with some pics tomorrow.

This thread is incredibly motivating! My proudest moment was 3 weeks ago when I decided to dust off that road bike an ex-boyfriend built for me last year. I had only been on twice before we broke up. I was determined to figure out how this thing worked. I bought some gear, you tubed how to air up my tires and off I went! I have only been out 3 times on flat roads, average 15 mph and ride about 15-17 miles. It's a start, right? Oh, found a new boy to ride with; don't know if he will stick around, but I am committed to riding - with or without a boy!

I just completed a 40 mile ride with the local cycling club 'B' group. It's the farthest I've ever ridden. Most 'A' rides have been too hard for me. We have BIG hills to climb wherever we go. This ride today was not as difficult as some, but nothing is flat. I am really sore all over.....

Anyway, I am 57 years old and have been riding for about 6 months. So, for me this is quite an accomplishment. I never thought I could do this. Alot of the other women riders are in their 60's and in great shape. It is inspiring. Instead of declining into old age, you get better. Any other older riders on the list?

I have been riding since March and have passed 1000 miles on my computer.

I finished Knox County Bicycle Challenge - the whole thing.

Two years ago I did the 78-mile loop and it just about killed me.

Last year I did the 78-mile loop and it was enough.

This year I did the full 101 and it was fine.

They say if you can do KCBC you can do Columbus Fall Challenge, which I'm signed up to do to next weekend for the first time - and which I've been terrified of. Now, maybe not quite so scared (but we'll see in the morning if I would feel like getting up and doing it all over again....)
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeanvw View Post
    I love reading all of your accomplishments!

I entered my very first cycling race! It is in two weeks. I am terrified, and very excited.
    I JUST started riding, so this seems like a goal that will be sooooo far away for me, but I want to...... i am jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilson84 View Post
    I JUST started riding, so this seems like a goal that will be sooooo far away for me, but I want to...... i am jealous.
    I started road biking 6 weeks ago, so I am guessing I have no idea what I am in store for, but it will be fun either way! You can do it!

I'm feeling pleased with myself although it's probably for odd reasons.

Today my derailer snapped off and went into my wheel.

I calmly stopped on a dime, unclipped flawlessly and didn't even break a spoke. Bike shop says that it was probably bent from last week's two lay downs in one ride. He showed me what to check next time. I told him not to worry, if I go down I'll fall left.

The only PITA part was the blister I got from walking home. I'm happy, though. It could have been a lot worse.

Now I'm just waiting to find out if they can just replace just the hanger or if more needs to be replaced.

Darilyn

P.S. - My bike shop just called and said that my bike is all fixed, turned up and ready to go for $60. I think I'm in love.
    Last edited by Tropical Scream; 09-21-2009 at 06:32 PM.

I just finished changing my inner tube all by myself! I knew I could do it because I took a class on bicycle maintenance at the community college, but I had never actually done it. It took a while, because I had to read the directions again, and again, but it's done, and done right!

The day I manage to change the tubes by myself, I will be overjoyed. Or will have replaced my tires. (The tires, even without much air in them, take a bit of cajoling and forcing to get them through the brakes. Hence it requires two people--one to hold the wheel and the other to hold the bike.)

I got out both days this weekend! 3 miles yesterday, 5.5 today. I'm still not feeling 100% in regard to putting a whole lot of physical effort into things, since I had the flu a week or so ago. The muscles are pleasantly stretched. Maybe next week I'll increase my distance (and get up a bit earlier). I also finally figured out how to shift correctly. I don't love the shifting on this bike, but I think we've reached an understanding.
    Last edited by Owlie; 11-08-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Owlie, do you release the brakes first?