Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Once your dog learns to jump a fence it's pretty hard to train them out of it. It's very self-rewarding.

My whippets routinely jumped 6-ft fences (straight jump to the top) and Grover once jumped a 10-ft fence and broke multiple bones in both front legs/wrists coming down (he was being boarded, it was an unfortunate accident).

Grover had learned to jump them before I got him, Watson learned from him.

I agree with the physical fixes suggested above.
    Another option for small dogs is this:
    http://www.catfencein.com/
    Last edited by msincredible; 08-25-2009 at 08:10 PM.

I don't understand why there are wires and such under the dirt in such a tall fence? I think the most obvious solution is to dig a trench all the way around, so when he stands up there and peeks out, he can't get up high enough to jump out.

Unless he can do a running leap. Some dogs can jump over everything and anything. But it is my experience that the dogs that don't think that way are easily foiled by just a couple inches of extra fence. There's a 2 inch high ridge in my driveway, and one of my son's dogs took a look at the fence (the exact same height all long the driveway) from that vantage point, and realized he could make it. So he did. I saw him do it. He could easily jump over every part of the fence, but I only block off that little corridor temporarily when he comes over, and he's never gone over the fence since.

I put a rabbit fence up around some gardening. It was about 2 feet high. My terrier mix flew right over it, but the Golden Retriever mix is totally flummoxed. Until she bumped into it hard and knocked it down a little--then she went over it *there* with no problem. As soon as I fixed that spot, she was stuck again. It's quite hilarious.

I hope your doggie doesn't get out again. Around here it's a $50 ticket.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Thanks guys (eh sorry girls) for all your help. There are definately some things to consider.

The cycling doggy walk... well... Baziel (our white jumper ) runs an average of 23 km/h. And he's got an incredible stamina.

We call him our flower power dog. All he wants is to share his love and freedom.

De French Bulldog (the dark one on the pic) never runs away.

Thanks a million!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I don't understand why there are wires and such under the dirt in such a tall fence?
    That is a looooooooooooooooooooooooong story, believe me. So the wires, cables and water are there, and we'll keep it like that. It wasn't our idea either.

+1, Spun Sugar. I use a device called the Walkydog. They love it, and I get a bit of exercise. However, after they get used to the exercise regime, they'd probably still jump that tiny fence to greet people. One suggestion I haven't seen yet is sticky tape or contact paper on the top of the fence so when they put their feet up there, they get stuck to the paper, which they hate. I've heard this works for "counter surfers" (dogs that get up on kitchen counters), so it might work for you since the fence has a flat top. Like the mousetraps, it's good because the fence seems to do the negative reinforcement, and you get to be the good guy and "save" them from the nasty sticky stuff. You'd have to replace it a lot, however, especially in bad weather. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    +1, Spun Sugar. I use a device called the Walkydog. They love it, and I get a bit of exercise. However, after they get used to the exercise regime, they'd probably still jump that tiny fence to greet people. One suggestion I haven't seen yet is sticky tape or contact paper on the top of the fence so when they put their feet up there, they get stuck to the paper, which they hate. I've heard this works for "counter surfers" (dogs that get up on kitchen counters), so it might work for you since the fence has a flat top. Like the mousetraps, it's good because the fence seems to do the negative reinforcement, and you get to be the good guy and "save" them from the nasty sticky stuff. You'd have to replace it a lot, however, especially in bad weather. Good luck!
    I'll try that one right away. I've got some very sticky tape.

Well the fence is tiny and not tiny. We never thought that he would jump 2m10 downwards. He still has a sore leg because of it.

This evening I'll try my first ride with my bike and dog. Hope it works.

in the US...

OK, different bureaucracies. Looks like the yard is much higher than the roadway below, and all the services are run underground(telecoms, nat gas? etc) as well as the usual underground water. Either that or there is a stormwater/wastewater or land retention feature under the dirt.

In the US, all the utility companies together sponsor a free underground locate service. They map with spraypaint where the services are, so you can excavate safely. If you knew where the services actually were, you might be able to raise your fence higher, if local codes allow it. Your fence is nice looking, and your dogs are beautiful. But Frenchies aren't that tall, and even little dogs need a taller fence than what you've got.

In the meantime, could you post a tasteful sign on the outside of the fence with your contact info, so if your dog escapes again it would help?

My dogs are chipped (obligated). So the police, shelter or the vet would immediately know if it was my dog. Pedestrians, cyclists know it's my dog, there's a pretty picture of him at my door. It always make bypassers smile.

Well in the mean time, the sticky tape didn't help. LOL. We are going to place an extra fence that you can't see from the street this weekend or the weekend after that. They predict bad weather this weekend...

It doesn't help your dilemma at all but - what cute pups!!!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!