Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cyclocross frame size?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am 5'4" short torso/30" inseam. Any suggestions on brand and frame size for xc bike? Are there any women's specific models out there? Planning to race with it.

Because you are smallish and short-torso'd, you will have a very hard time getting a stock CX bike to fit you, at least one with 700c wheels (as almost all of them are). Try to find a 26" wheeled CX bike like this one:

http://lunacycles.com/LoriCX.html

It allows for a shorter reach without toe overlap, and good standover clearance, too.

goodluck.
    Last edited by lunacycles; 08-24-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Oh, I want one of those! I'm riding my entry level specialized Mt bike this year for 'cross - if I really love it, I'll be in touch Margo! tokie ( 5 foot 1.5 with a 28 inch inseam)

Stock WSD cross bicycles

In addition to Luna's custom cross bikes, Terry has been offering the Valkyrie in a cross configuration since the beginning of the year. I was one of the first to buy this bike which I believe is the only stock women specific design cross bike. The frames are built in Wisconsin by Waterford and I met Richard Schwinn, the builder, at the handmade bicycle show in Indianapolis this spring. (Waterford also builds custom x-bikes.)

I am 5'1/2" and bought an x-small. Standover height is 26.9", wheels are 26" and there is zero toe overlap. Handlebars are the Salsa Short & Shallow and it has a short stem. Equipped with SRAM Rival. I'd never use SRAM components before but I like the shifting and find it easier with my smaller hands.

You can probably fit a small which has 28.5 standover height. Georgena will ask for your measurements and help you determine size.

Tonight's the season's last Time Trial so I will be putting my Q'roo away and riding the Valkyrie more to prepare for cross season. So far I've been very happy with the bike. Just noticed that the price HAS increased since I bought mine at the start of the year.

Obviously if you go the custom route there will be many choices including Luna and Sweet Pea (both women builders). Here's a link to an article in CycloCross Magazine: http://cxmagazine.com/small-cyclocro...s-short-search

It's hard for the short crossers! I got an old Jamis Nova 47 that is great but for a while before I tweaked it I was thinking it was too small. I'm keeping it now but my friend was helpful enough to put this together when I was investigating frames. I ride a 48 Ruby on the road. Hope this helps!!

For reference the numbers on your road bike:
    Specialized Ruby 48 cm: Top tube length (TT) 50.6 cm, Head tube length (HT) 11.5 cm, seat angle (SA) 75.75, head angle (HA) 71.25, stand over (SO) 71.8 cm.

Specialized Tricross 49cm: TT 51.5, HT 11, SA 75.5, HA 70, SO 75

Kona Jake the Snake 47 cm: TT 52, HT 90, SA 74.7, HA 70.5, SO 74.1

VooDoo Limba 51 cm: TT 51, HT 10, SA 75, HA 71, SO 76
    VooDoo Wazoo 51 cm: TT 51.5, HT 80, SA 75, HA 71, SO 75.2

Guerciotti Cross Force 47 cm: TT 50.5, SA 74.3, HA 71.3
    48 cm: TT 51, SA 74.3, HA 72

For reference the shorter the top tube and the taller the head tube the more upright you can be. You can modify things a bit via stem length and angle. A longer TT makes you go to shorter stem and the opposite is true. You may be able to trade off a longer top tube with a taller head tube. One other thing that will make a difference with head tube length is what kind of headset it has, integrated head sets don't change the length while conventional ones will add height to it. The Specialized is integrated (although they use a big spacer on top of the head tube (look at your bike, between the stem and the head tube) as is the Guerciotti, while the Voodoo's and Kona use a conventional headset (typically add about 3 cm to the head tube length).

The only other little wrinkles are if it is a sloping frame or conventional frame and the bottom bracket height. Conventional frames will have shorter head tubes than sloping, but it can even things out. Bikes with higher bottom brackets might fit when you are in the seat but you may not be able to stand over the frame. Ridley, older Redlines and Cannondale have higher bottom brackets. A high bottom bracket is ~40 cm, normal is ~25-30.

What ever frame you look at, be sure to look at the geometry. Some manufacturers change there specs even if the model stays the same. If you are curious about a Guerciotti, I have a 48 cm Kangaroo (should be the same as Cross Force) that you can check out.

I'm pretty close to your measurements and ride a 50cm cross check.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm 5'4, 32" inseam, but short short arms and ride a 46 cross check. The 50 standover was okay, but the tt was too long. Be careful with your measurements on cross bikes. Look at them carefully. The bottom bracket is higher, so the size may be deceiving.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

We haven't asked about your budget ... another option are the cross bikes built by Rodriguez at http://www.rodcycle.com/ Although not women specific, they offer 15 different sizes which is much broader than most builders. The Rodriquez starts at $2699, the Terry at $2950, and the custom bikes more. The Surly, Soma and others will be less. If you are on a budget, shop for used bikes (there's a lot of juniors locally who outgrow their bikes).

I agree with Uforgot & bboston 88 about paying close attention to the measurements. And try to test ride. Last week I let a woman who rides a Q'Roo TT bike similar to mine ride my cross check bike for a comparison. She came back with a huge grin! The cross world is pretty friendly and wants to recruit new riders.

I'm close to your size as well and I'm on a 48cm Redline Conquest Pro.

I'm 5'2.5", 29" inseam (pants, not the way you'd measure for a bike) and I ride a 44cm Redline Conquest. I tried to keep the top tube about the same size as the road bike I ride now. It's working so far, but ask me again after I've actually raced the thing.

I'm 5'4", not sure what my inseam is, but I have a short torso and I ride a
    44 Redline Conquest Team....it fits better than my road bike!

Fuji Cross 46cm

If anyone is interested, Recycledcycles.net has a 46cm Fuji Cross (2001) bike for sale. Paul told me the TT length is 51cm. Might be a good touring or beginner 'cross frame for someone small.
    (314) 862-4041

The bike has a Shimano 105 triple crank, Shimano Deore LX derailleurs, Sora shifters and brand new wheels.46cm FUJI CROSS -- 18 speeds, blue/red -- (Was $635) Now $575
    keep smiling--people will wonder what you're up to

I also looked at the Salsa Chilli con Crosso, seemed to have good measurements for me.

Another Valkyrie

I recently got my Valkyrie that I had ordered back in April and love it! I am 5'1" with a 28" inseam and got the small frame size that gives me about an inch of standover with shoes. I love the 26-inch wheels and SRAM shifters. I have mostly had it out on the road and she climbs great! Took her off road once and she handled well, just had to get used to the 'cross gearing. I was able to get the FSA 165 cranks after a little research and contacting FSA myself to see if they were available (they are). I was fortunate to be able to test ride the prototype that was built for Kerry Litka before I ordered (she lives in New England), and that clinched the deal.

With your height you probably have more options, but for shorter women like myself, Terry's Valkyrie is a welcome option for getting a 'cross bike that actually fits! The price is now up around the custom frame price, so I would consider that, too. The frame size on the Valkyrie was just right for me and Georgena was willing to order the smaller cranks and swap out things like saddle and bar tape. She was also generous in giving me a discount for having my bike wrench BF build it up.

Here she is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valkyrie.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	9933  

sorry for piggybacking but no use starting a new thread when i have a really similar question:

I'm a road rider that JUST got a cross bike (haven't even ridden it yet, only took the store model for a little spin since they didn't have my size and had them order mine) and am a little worried that the bike might be a bit too big for cross. I ride a 49cm road bike and went with a 48cm cross bike for a little more clearance than i'm used to but after browsing the forum am worried that might not be enough leeway...

anyone have suggestions on how much standover clearance is best for cross before its too late to negotiate a swap with the store?

i got the scattante x560

thanks!