Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Heart Monitor

Heart Monitor

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about getting a heart monitor for riding, just a really basic one so that I could get an idea of how hard my heart is working at various places and on different rides. BUT, I could just stop for a sec and count, right?

And a heart monitor would be expensive for me (even a basic one).

SO, can I ask those of you who have them how much you use them? Do they help you, or do they add frustration? Are they more of a toy or really helpful in motivating you?

(I'm in between casual and not-quite as casual a rider, trying to lose some weight and increase my fitness. My typical rides are 15-30 miles, most days during the season which is ending all too soon. I'm not interested in racing, though I'd like to get faster and stronger.)

If you use and like one, what functions do you find most useful? What could you do without?

Thanks!

I use Sigma Onyx Fit. I wear it all the time on my ride (except the casual ones).

I record the data on my log for every ride so that I get some idea about the distribution of my heart rate over three zones. I like to check the data, so just seeing how much calorie burnt is motivating to me
    It's useful because you don't need to stop and count the heart rate. It also helpful in training.

If you can only afford the basic one (ie no three-zone setting etc), then don't bother buying one and just use your sense (perception of effort).

When I was still riding regularly, I used it without fail. I use a sigma pc-14 and I don't know how fancy or good that is, but it has the basics and that is all I need. It has some thing that I don't use or don't know how to use, but for the most part I really like mine. It helps me keep track of times, calories burned and stuff about whether I was in the training or aerobic or whatever level but that's the part I don't really know how to use.

I use mine when doing regular exercise on the treadmill also, or use to, but haven't gotten back into the habit since I have started exercising again. It's wrapped around my bike. LOL
    Donna

I've more or less stopped using one cycling or running - except for races (tri) to monitor that I'm not going all out (and then crash&burn)
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Depends how serious you want to be about your training.

On the bike, I like to look at the tracks in retrospect to monitor my fitness, see whether "that hill" was really as difficult as it felt, whether I was having trouble with the heat, etc. I don't use it while riding at all.

Running, I do use it for training, to make sure I'm not going harder than I want to during recovery intervals between repeats, and on my long runs.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I wear a Polar F6 (about $100). I use mine soley to base why I felt so good or so awful. The other night I attempted to mountain bike after a brief lay off. It has been about 2 weeks with no activity and my heartrate was staying high (it was also 100 degrees out). It gave me a clear picture that when I turned in early my body was needing it since my average HR was pretty high for me but I wasn't riding hard. Sometimes I have trouble listening to how I feel but when my HR won't come down I can be forced to see it in a number.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    . Sometimes I have trouble listening to how I feel but when my HR won't come down I can be forced to see it in a number.
    I'm the same way. I have a cheap ($20) HRM that I got off of woot.com. (It's worth keeping an eye on the site as the HRM comes up pretty frequently). One of my friends found a cheap HRM (~$25) on ebay, so if that's in your price range you might check there as well.

I love it. Its made a huge difference to my cycling. I know how long I can go at a certain pace, and uphill I go at a slower pace if required to finish the climb without stopping.

Its great for interval training and so many other things.

This is just MY opinion, and I'm in the minority, and I don't mean to imply that others are wrong -- clearly not, since most pro athletes use them.

I determined my max by hill running test. Around 206. The problem for me is I can run forever at what is theoretically around 85-87% max. And below 80% feels kind of pointless -- I tried really hard for the first 7-8 miles of a 12 mile run once to keep at 80, and it was incredibly frustrating -- I just gave up after a while. At nominally 85%, I wouldn't say my pace was easy, but my tongue was not hanging out and I wasn't getting fatigued. Since the hr max I arrived at is over 200, I doubt it's way low, so the percentages calculated from it are probably not too low either.... it just doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps I'm not patient enough.

I would say it's worth a try though, since many people find it useful.

"No", you do not need a HRM to train, BUT, they are wonderful tools if you can work out the $. A couple $ saving ideas for you besides what is already mentioned...

You could post a "wanted" ad here on TE for one; as people seem to upgrade all the time--that might give you a good basic mid-range HRM at a much lower price. If you belong to a gym, maybe there is a place you could post this same type of ad? I'm a certified Spinning intructor at my gym and a fellow instructor is a Polar HRM dealer. I think she gives discount sometimes to those she knows etc.

I personally use a couple things. I own a pink version of the Polar F6 (about $100). Besides the HR, looking at the total calories burned is very motivating for me.

Now that I own a Garmin bici pc I use that system outside. I started with the solid chest strap that came with my unit. Then recently upgraded to a soft chest strap version. This way all my stats, including HR, are intergraded with my ride stats in Garmin.

Besides calories burned (which used to boil down to DQ blizzards for me lol), I found when I officially started training for something, the HR figure became much more important. I've learned even more about the diff HR zones and how to work them with endurance training, i.e. ramping up my miles.

I still do compare with my perceived exertion signs, and a manual HR check of my finger-tips at body pulse. Always good to double check technology once in a while imo.

Lastly, what's been said about them being accurate--there is some truth to that. Most HRM are set with stock numbers on the calculation of 220 - your age = max HR... then % effort x this #.

This basic math calculation is a "guide". If you are beginner exerciser with a lot of # to lose etc., your max might be lower that average, read: less fit. If you are a seasoned athlete... then your max # will more than likely be higher... as you are "fitter than average". Which, btw, there is a way to manually re-set those numbers in the monitor to YOU accordingly--& over time as you progress.

Hope that helps some!
    Last edited by Miranda; 08-24-2009 at 01:54 AM.

I use a Polar F6. I love it and wear on every ride - I would feel naked without it! Fitness is the whole reason I started riding, so yes, I do find it motivating! I love to monitor my HR and keep an eye on how many calories I'm burning. I'm always trying to outdo myself and it keeps me going. It was worth every penny!
    Amy

Kickin' it old school on my Huffy, but hey, I RIDE!

I have a Sports Instruments one that does basic HR and calorie count too. I use it to ride and trail run. My bike club gave it to me as a reward a few yrs back on volunteering. I used it last week trail running and got into the performance zone a time or two. Stayed in fitness zone. It's a decent HRM for recreational use and not too many bells to confuse you. Jenn