Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Vermont and Lake Champlain Cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking at staying in Rutland and driving up towards to Burlington and Lake Champlain for day trips. I have about 10 days with nothing to do while my son is at camp near Plymouth. The only reason I'm staying in Rutland is because I found a really good deal on a hotel room with a free breakfast.

I've studied the Champlain Bikeways maps, and I've also looked into a Bike Vermont tour that includes riding around Middlebury (the tour dates interfere with camp so I can't actually do the tour). Does anyone have a link for bike maps and cue sheets, etc., around Middlebury?

I'm definitely planning on doing the Island Line bike trail. I haven't been riding much, so I'm not in shape for climbing big gaps. I know it's hilly up there, though. I'm also taking my mountain bike. Any other general or specific advice about this area?

Thanks!
    Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I don't have any maps or cue sheets, but expect it to be cool weather. When we did our bike weekend in Vermont in October a few years ago, the people from other parts of the country were woefully unprepared for cool weather riding. Though September will mostly be chilly mornings and evenings.
    Have fun!

Thanks, Crankin. We've been having some crazy weather for August in Arkansas. Tonight it is supposed to get down to 57 and usually this time of year we have the a/c cranked up high and it never gets below 75. The high tomorrow is forecast at 78! So, with all this great weather I have been so reminded of Vermont--the cool nights and not-hot days, but just warm enough! That makes me think it's going to be COLD up there this time.

In fact, I'm not camping at all. I'm renting an apartment in someone's home near Burlington. Still don't know if I'll get to ride--knee and all. But I will be having a good time anyway!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Post Vermont and Lake Champlain- Area

http://www.soea.com/

If the weather's good for you, I'd suggest you pop by Waterfront Park and schedule a tour aboard Spirit of Ethan Allen.. Great scenery and the crew is friendly and informative of other area features....

Enjoy your visit.
    "Competition is often won or lost on the 6 inch playing field between the ears."