Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you can't get a small plate (if you're in a restaurant, or for whatever reason), it's still useful to be aware of the size of the plate and the way it masks the large amount of food you've been served, so you can eat the right portion size anyway.

Last year I started to really focus on eating only until I felt full, even if there was still food left on the plate. It worked to help me lose some weight, and I'm also saving money -- instead of sandwich for lunch and snack in late afternoon, I eat 1/2 sandwich at lunch and other half in late p.m., so I'm not buying snacks anymore. I'm eating less for dinner too.

When I had to buy a new refrigerator last year, I was amazed at all of the gigantor models they had in the stores. When I was growing up there were 8 people living in our house (2 parents, 5 kids, 1 grandma) and we got by with a fridge that would be considered on the small side today.

The other thing I do in restaurants is divide my food in half before I eat it, and then only eat half. Some people I know ask for a to-go box right away and divide it up and put it in the box so they're not tempted. I'm okay with it being on the plate until I'm done.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Interesting about fridge size... we bought a smaller fridge (18.2 cf) for the energy savings when our old one died, and I HATE it. A large bunch of greens or celery won't fit in the crisper, so they just have to get covered with a couple of plastic bags and jammed into the main compartment, where it's likely to get crushed. Holidays or dinner guests? Forget about it. Not enough room for the ingredients for a meal with more than three courses, on top of the flours, oils and condiments that ordinarily live in the fridge, plus a bottle or two of wine.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yeah - ours gets a bit jammed if we do a big holiday meal, but that's so seldom that I don't mind. We do have two crispers that fit things just fine - well celery might have to go in diagonally, but it fits. The shelves can all be moved around. Its a very well designed fridge. The freezer compartment is small - its on the bottom and so is the compressor, but I don't freeze much so its no big deal to me.
    It really hasn't changed much at all since we got ours - http://www.conservappliances.com/moreinfo.asp?id=60
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I use the salad/dessert sized plates for my breakfast and lunch. I use it for dinner when we are having a sandwich/salad type of meal.
    It used to be hard for me not to eat everything on my plate, but about 2 months ago I started not eating anything after dinner; somehow, that has allowed me to feel full more quickly and be able to stop eating when I am out for dinner. Of course, I am not perfect about this, but it just seems easier. My weight, which while normal, has been fluctuating within a five pound range, despite exercise. Now, it is very stable, within a pound of where it should be. It just took the one simple change of regulating my food intake in the evening to do this.

Oh man, don't get me started on fridge sizes! We just had to replace the 30 year old one that came with our house and we had a hell of a time finding one that would fit. In fact, we couldn't! We ended up having to remove the overhead cabinet AND we paid a premium for a counter-depth fridge.

Seriously, there is something really wrong with the fact that the smaller counter-depth fridges are all WAY more expensive than the big ones! Why should I be paying more for less?

And while we are talking over-sized...try finding a smaller house on a little bit of land. That's like asking for diamonds from the tooth fairy....totally impossible!!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I am a nerd, I had to measure my Fiestaware. (Made in the USA, which is the main reason why I bought it. That and it's pretty darn tough and cute.)

The dinner plate is 10 1/2 inches across. The part where food can actually sit is smaller than that, of course. Looking at how they fit in my cupboard, I don't think 12 inch plates would fit in the cupboard at all.

Wanna freak yourself out? Watch the Sesame Street clips from the first couple seasons (60's). Man, everyone was so skinny back then!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I am a nerd, I had to measure my Fiestaware. (Made in the USA, which is the main reason why I bought it. That and it's pretty darn tough and cute.)

The dinner plate is 10 1/2 inches across. The part where food can actually sit is smaller than that, of course. Looking at how they fit in my cupboard, I don't think 12 inch plates would fit in the cupboard at all.

Wanna freak yourself out? Watch the Sesame Street clips from the first couple seasons (60's). Man, everyone was so skinny back then!
    Thanks - now I don't have to measure my Fiestaware!

(That reminds me, I've meaning to measure my arms for positive ape/negative ape...)

You can get those little racks that stand your plates up, and put them parallel to the cabinet door. Of course, sometimes the shelves are too close together! The shelves in my cabinets are adjustable, but I've never moved them since I moved in this place.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Maybe I'm just not seeing things completely: I would have thought at least having the freezer part abit big is helpful to those who garden veggies/fruits and have to freeze alot.

Our freezer part of fridge is abit underutilized..about only 1/4 full. What we have right now is cut pieces of fresh frozen salmon (I bought whole, cleaned fresh salmon and cut it up into meal size portions for freezing), fresh blueberries and raspberries that we bought & froze, dearie's bagels, and less than 8 small meal serving sizes of fresh chicken breast. I am the one that tends to buy any meat, divide it up and freeze. At other times of year, we may have 2-3 meals worth of frozen homemade soup or a few small bags of frozen chopped up pumpkin or butternut squash.

That's all that we will probably do in terms of using our underutilized freezer.

Fridge came automatically with our unit.

I never knew about new homes having cabinets to fit bigger dinner plates. Nor smaller fridges as more expensive. Things one learns on TE.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

We watched Woodstock last weekend and both of us commented about the same thing. I only saw a few people in the thronging masses that would be considered overweight. This was my generation. I honestly don't remember anyone in my high school being overweight.

I work at a community college now. I'd say about one student in three is overweight. Many are obese. Sad how things have changed...
    Health is the thing that makes you feel like now is the best time of the year--Franklin Pierce Adams

!
    I love my fiesta ware too. We often eat on the salad plates. I thought that was a good article. My father gave me advice when I was 15 years old. He said ALWAYS eat breakfast, even if it's just a little toast. I'm the one that listened, and today, I am thinner than all of his natural children and stepchildren.

(I eat really fast though!)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by five one View Post
    We watched Woodstock last weekend and both of us commented about the same thing. I only saw a few people in the thronging masses that would be considered overweight. This was my generation. I honestly don't remember anyone in my high school being overweight.

I work at a community college now. I'd say about one student in three is overweight. Many are obese. Sad how things have changed...
    For years now I've worked out at a gym that is in a nice hotel. Many hotel guests use the pool there. I see lots of overweight kids. It's sad.

Making me feel bad... I ate lunch at an Indian buffet today. But I only went through the line once. And it was lunch, so dinner will be a lite meal. But now I need a nap.
    Beth

I checked my kitchen. Our fridge is tiny, and so are our plates( and we are both pretty skinny)! In fact the plates we got are square, with big flat lips on them, so the middle food portion, is about four inches!
    Mostly eat out of bowls, salad size. If you know me from posts, you know I use to have a eating disorder, so I dont have to diet but I do have some good habits for food.Also I am allergic to mostly everything, so theres no binge foods, like oreos or cereal or bread( I make my own from quinoa).
    BUT, if you like to snack or want to learn some good food habits, here is mine.
    I eat about five meals a day. Three of those meals are made of fresh fruit, and veggies raw, sometimes with a couple tablespoons of dip - mustard, balsamic and herbs. I eat green apples all day, as snacks And celery, lots of that.
    Its also good, before dinner to have a big green salad, or some nibble veggies with dip, or some soup( I like split pea that I make myself, its very filling).
    Then have a BIG bowl of steamed veggies. Im a vegetarian, so that's my main meal then I have baked potatoes or something like casserole.

Smiling cat, you can eat ALL you want of veggies( but make some nice lo cal salad dressing or you'll get really bored quick) and then have dinner, and be full and eat less. I have to eat all this raw stuff anyhow, because of allergies and let me tell you, your really full!!
    Im all for eating lots!
    Conquering illness, one step at time.