Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Selecting an architect

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi TE -

My husband and I have purchased land and we are trying to locate an architect. First guy got nearly $3000 of our money for plans for a 1/2 million dollar home. We told him we wanted a $250,000 home. Uh, yep, he didn't listen to us and now we have plans we can't use. We learned the hard way.
    We're wiser now and are carefully interviewing other architects, but how do we choose the right one? Architect number 2 is friendly and agreeable and considerate and has a can-do approach. Architect number 3 is take charge, formal, super organized, and has a you-can't-do-all-that-for-the-price attitude. What if #2 is living in the clouds and #3 is too pushy?
    How do we ask the right questions to make the best decision?
    Once we select an architect the bills and obligation will begin.
    Any experiences/advice?
    Thanks - Barb

We've built our house 2 years ago. And yes, it's difficult to find an architect that : a) has the same taste as you, b) thinks like you, c) is well organised, d) is responsible, e) respects your budget and your way of living!

We were lucky: we've found a young and very promising architect who respected our budget. In return we gave him 'carte blanche'. We just told him how many rooms we wanted, stuff like that. But he could do whatever he wanted with the house. And he did. We are very happy with the result. And bang on budget.

Now for you, choose the architect you trust the most. You have to be able to talk to him and discuss with him. If there isn't a 'click' then just step away.
    It's always handy too if your architect doesn't live too far from the building site, so he can come over whenever there's a problem.

What you can do is talk to previous clients of the architect you want to work with. It can be very helpful.

Of course I live in Europe, but I think it's about the same wherever you go: builders are always too late, you always go over budget, it's a lot of stress... :8

Good luck, don't stress too much and have fun!
    Last edited by papaver; 08-17-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Barb, I would tend toward the "tell me what I need to know" guy...but since I'm sure you're having to reach out across a distance anyway, I'll PM you a firm in Bloomington that I have good experience with. One of your $ challenges will be that an architect needs to be on site often...and you live in a very rural area...

Have you considered finding stock plans (in one of those books) and then working with a drafter/design firm to modify it to your tastes?

I don't know what your goals are, but the exercise is pretty simple:
    - the basic building shell is pretty predictable with the basic box/rectangle being the most economical...rising in price as you bump out here and add a dormer/pitched roof there...
    - then, it's simply an exercise of how much you want in interior/exterior opulence.

Locally, I've seen new home construction prices ranging from $100/sq ft to $350/sq ft! The only difference was the materials/fixtures used.
    Last edited by Mr. Bloom; 08-18-2009 at 02:13 AM.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

architect search

Thanks guys.
    I am really very hesitant to trust my judgment in regard to the big decision of selecting an architect. I don't have a very good track record with sizing people up in the early stages. Another bad decision can cost us thousands more.
    These two architects are 45 minutes and 1 1/2 hours away respectively. Closer is better for sure. Gee, Bloomington is at least 2 hours north of us if not a little more.
    Yes, we've considered stock plans but this is a real challenge since our 5 acres is terraced like a roller coaster. This will challenge an architect moreso than a flat piece of earth.
    A decision will have to be made at some point. Can't stay frozen with indecision forever.
    Barb

I know it's not easy to 'read' people. That's why it is important to be able to talk to other people that have worked with the architect of your choice.

Our plot was a challenge too. So no basic plans here. But he did a wonderful job.

Quote Originally Posted by papaver View Post
    I know it's not easy to 'read' people. That's why it is important to be able to talk to other people that have worked with the architect of your choice.
    I second this advice. We ended up with an architect that caused us problems in the end, and cost us A LOT of money. Because they were a friend of a friend, I never checked references or talked to other clients - my bad for not doing that.

DEFINITELY talk to other clients of BOTH of the architects you are considering. It is ok to have the same conversation with them that you are having with us.

Good luck!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

You guys are terrifying me.

I need to add a master bedroom/bath on to my 113 yo Victorian. The addition has to look like it has always been there. The only reason I haven't acted on it is because I'm afraid of choosing the architect. I won't do it without one even though I've had it suggested that I use draftsmen or builders instead. On the downside is that there aren't a lot of old houses being renovated here, so finding one with experience in the Victorian realm is going to be difficult and expensive. I'll be watching this thread for sure!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Tuckerville - one thought for you ... is there a historic home/building commission in your area? If so, maybe you could start with them to see if they know of firms that work on older homes.
    Beth

Steve Thomas recommends having the first few meetings paid on a hourly basis so you have minimal investment if all goes south.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...214405,00.html
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    It would be useful after chatting up with architect, to restate what you agreed in terms of retrofit/building features with the architect in a friendly letter. They are accustomed to working with written contracts with commercial property owners and residential developers. So this should not be a big deal to them. If it is, be concerned.

Otherwise everything transacted verbally will not be reliable for either party in the future if there should be major disagreements in design wishes and costs.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.