Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My First Race Report

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did it! Seven weeks after my first swimming lesson, I actually completed a triathlon. I've definitely been drinking the Total Immersion Kool-Aid! There is no way I would have imagined that I could go from "can't swim a stroke" to doing a swim as part of a triathlon in such a short period of time. I couldn't have done it without some great instruction from a TI coach.

After doing an open water swim clinic last week, where we had to swim in a tight pack with people grabbing and kicking, etc., I thought I would get more out of doing a race than doing the open water swim/course preview I asked about in a previous thread. I think it was the right decision because I learned a lot during the clinic and during the race.

It was a VERY small triathlon put on by a rec center. It was a 400 yard pool swim, a 14.3 mile bike, and a 5K run. The weather was supposed to be cool, but it turned out to be cool (60 degrees) AND pouring rain for the entire race. I have NEVER been that soaked during a ride or run. My cycling shoes leached blue dye all over my socks and my running shoes sounded like sodden sponges by the end of the race. And, the bike course was along some busy roads, one of which was a highway detour, so we had huge trucks and cars spraying us with water from the deep puddles.

IT WAS A BLAST!

I did my swim 4 seconds faster than my estimated time. It was a circle swim with 3 or 4 people to a lane. They had 3 or 4 waves, and I was in the first one. I would have been faster if I knew how to turn off the wall, but I never wanted to use my precious pool time to work on that as I thought it was more important that I actually work on swimming. I felt really good during the swim.

The bike was so much fun, even though I had to slow it down in places because of the rain and puddles. I passed a lot of people on the two loop bike course. Only one guy passed me. I got passed by one woman on the run and a couple of guys near the end. I am a very slow runner, but I was happy just to have run the entire distance. I figure there is time enough to try to build some speed.

Because it was such a small tri, I took second place in my age group. There were FIVE whole women in my age group! LOL!

DH was a great support crew, taking pictures, cheering me on, etc. The only thing that would have been better would have been if I could have had my regular running buddy with me on the run. Here he is napping with the ribbon he helped me earn. He was a bit tired as we all got up at 4:30 to get to the race.

http://flickr.com/gp/utah/q53Q26

After the race, there was a pancake breakfast. Yum!

I'm already looking forward to another triathlon, next time in open water. Thanks to everyone for posting all of their inspiring race reports and for being such a supportive group!

Alex
    Last edited by Alex; 08-17-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Way to go Alex!! I love your running buddy though he seems slightly less enthusiastic...

Next to a cool sunny day, I will take rain and clouds over hot and humid any day.

Don't diminish your podium win - it doesn't matter if there were only 5, you raced better than 3 of them on that day. Be very proud of your accomplishment.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Way cool! I'm glad the clinic worked out for the best - sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

Congrats on your 2nd place finish - it's a victory no matter how you slice it, especially considering you came so far with your swimming in such a short time period.

Looking forward to the next RR!

Yay! First one done and you had fun. You raced in the rain and didn't crash!

When is the next one, do you know yet?
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I was waiting on this report, and I'm SO happy to hear that it was a GREAT experience. I LOVE the pic of your running buddy with your ribbon. Too cute!
    Congrats on completing your first tri. The first one is always special and you'll always remember the feeling. You're sure to not forget this one since you completed it all in the pouring rain.

AND you placed in your AG- how cool is that? Yippee for you!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

WTG ALEX!!!!

Can you send some of the rain down our way???

Tina

Woo HOO!!! Way to go Alex! Can't wait to hear about your next race!
    Anita "Shiraz"

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the encouragement and support!

There are several more races in the vicinity in August and September, all with open water swims, so I just need to decide which one(s) to sign up for.

Alex

Great job, and well, considering your picture shows you to be furry and four legged, then your swim is even MORE impressive!

WOW! Great job!!!

I can't imagine racing in that kind of rain! Terrific job out there!

2nd place... you rock! Hey, you showed up and raced... you deserve your ribbon and the bragging rights to 2nd place!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"