Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Crash...let's not repeat that!

To disable ads, please log-in.

so, had my first crash today...no fun.

Was doing a brick workout with my friend Amie and her boyfriend at a local park (Memorial for those that know Houston). We were riding a loop that all the local cyclists do since there aren't really any cars (it goes nowhere), one way only, and no stop signs. We were on our second to last loop before doing our 3 mile run... not quite sure exactly what happened, but I ended up touching Amie's back wheel, and well, as you can expect... that is all she wrote. It sent me flying towards the side of the road, which would have been a bit painful when I went down, but better than what followed. The road here is surrounded by wood bollards (you know the waist high wood posts to keep people from driving/parking on the grass)...well, I was going to hit them, no way around it. It all happened so fast, not entirely sure how I all went down, but I did protect the bike by absorbing most of the impact with my body and head!

Final estimate from the ER: sprained right ankle, LOTS of pretty serious bruises forming on my legs mostly, and watching the head for the next day or two. The helmet is pretty spectacular... amazing what they can do! I will attach the photos.. gives you an idea of how hard I hit... we were probably doing about 16.5 mph when I went down and don't think I had any time to break and slow down.

Bike appears fine, maybe some wheel issues, but will be taking it in to the shop for a full going over, make sure the carbon isn't damaged anywhere. And I will be picking up a new helmet at the same time.

So, I guess I was bound to crash at some point... this was a bit more dramatic that I would have hoped for, and not something I am looking to do again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside_helmet_small.JPG 
Views:	465 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	9865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oustide_helmet_small.JPG 
Views:	464 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	9866  
    Support me in my fight against MS!
    http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Ellen.Mallman

yikes! glad you're ok, by the sound of it.

Wow - take a look at that helmet! Sounds like you took quite a beating in order to protect your bike (I would have done the same).

Whoa! Good helmet. I'm glad you're more or less o.k.--I hope you heal quickly from the bruises and sprain!

Sarah

Does Giro have a "Hall of Fame" of photos for their helmets that have done their job? Yours obviously did. I'll bet if you send them a photo and a paragraph or two about how great their helmet performed and protected you (assuming no head injuries there - good luck!), you'll get a new one at a discount. Give them something they can use on their Website marketing.

I hope those bruises heal quickly. Crashes are scary, huh?

Roxy - No, Mom, I didn't sit in purple paint. That's a bruise. But my bike is fine!
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Phew, DrB, I'm so glad you're basically okay. Be careful with that ankle though, I was just reading what a high percentage of ankle sprains result in long-term joint damage because people under-treat and under-rest them. And obviously take all the concussion precautions!

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Does Giro have a "Hall of Fame" of photos for their helmets that have done their job?
    Or you could just give it to your LBS. My LBS used my crashed helmet for probably 20 years, to demonstrate to customers what they're for. Helmets have evolved (some) since my crash in 1987, skulls haven't!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm sorry about the crash and thank goodness you had a helmet on. Hope you heal quickly.

Ouch! I hope you heal quickly!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    WOW!!!!
    I'm so glad that you're OK- that could have been so much worse, I imagine.
    That helmet picture is SCARY!!!!
    Please rest and take good care of yourself.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Take easy drbadger. Monitor and treat thyself well for awhile.

Glad that you are alive and conscious.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Ouch! How noble of you to shield your bike from further damage by throwing your body in front of those posts.

Hope you're feeling better soon, heal quickly!

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Oh my word!!! Did your helmet hit the wood bollard? Glad you are ok and that your injuries weren't more serious.

Oh, I'm so happy to hear you weren't hurt worse. Take care of yourself.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

Hey DrB! Way to lead with your head grrl!

You shall be awarded the medal of honor for protecting the bike. Definitely send the helmet & a note to Giro... could score you a new brain bucket.

I remember those wood posts (lived in Houston for a while) from tripping over them a few times.

Feel better soon!

spazzdog
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Thanks for all the well wishes ladies! Pretty sore this morning, and some of these bruises are going to be pretty impressive.

Yup, we are pretty sure that I lead with my head and it went right in to the bollard (wood post)...

When my friends dropped off my car and bike last night they were able to take a better look at the bike... looks like it came out unscathed... still going in for a check up to make sure, but yup, sacraficed myself for the bike
    Support me in my fight against MS!
    http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Ellen.Mallman