Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Last Night's Triumph -- a tad long.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone!

As a non-athletic, recently divorced 43 year old woman with some extra pounds, lately I decided I wanted to start riding a bike. I got a Trek 7200 WSD and began riding around my neighborhood to get used to using gears. It was a little daunting to me to do this as I'm very self-conscious about my body but it's kind of like avoiding the gym for not being in perfect shape: you've just got to focus on the goal.

This week, I began riding the trail near my house, bits of which are paved (why I chose a hybrid). It's kind of scary because we have a real coyote problem and there are snakes, etc. and I'm riding alone. But I'm loving the time to myself, without having to do anything or listen to anything but my own thoughts.

Along the trail last night before dusk, I was zipping past the joggers, walkers and other cyclists with the wind blowing against me. I felt so strong and alive! Bunnies darted out along the path and then dove for cover when they heard my bell. My heart rate averaged 133 and it was absolutely lovely!

Then, a chain popped off. I panicked -- I had no idea what to do. With zero mechanical inclination -- the only way I know how to change a tire is by calling Triple A -- I thought I was going to have to call someone. This upset me -- I don't want to be rescued! I want to solve it myself. And you know what? I figured it out! Yea me! I felt so strong and independent! You're probably rolling your eyes right about now and I understand. It's just a bicycle chain for the love of Mike. But the ride itself was so exhilirating, and to finish off with what amounted to me by slaying a dragon -- it just doesn't get much better than that.

Sorry this was so long.

Yay, congratulations!

It's the little things in life, I always say. Way to go.

Is there a local bike store or community cycling group near you? Sometimes they offer basic maintenance classes (some women only) where knowing a few things may add to your riding joy and comfort.

Welcome to the world of biking.

Good for you! Give it time and a couple of classes and you'll be doing some of your own 'wrenching' without a second thought.

Hey Grace,

That's awesome!! congrats. I get it ~ those moments are huge.
    One out of shape mom getting ready to bike across Kansas

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Good for you, Grace! I think fixing that yourself is not only a HUGE deal, but a great confidence booster knowing you can fix something all on your own (I felt that same way the first time I changed a tire on my car).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

<< 45, 100+ lbs overweight, same sort of situation as you, and I felt the exact same way when I figured out how to work the quick release front tire.

I haven't had a chain pop off yet, knock wood, but I remember how dadgum cool I felt being able to put that tire on and off all by myself.

I feel the same way as you, too, when I'm out on the trail. It's so freeing, isn't it, to be out on your own with no demands other than those you put on yourself? I love riding.

Congratulations on your new independence.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Not rolling my eyes here; I did the same thing about a month ago, the first time the chain came off when I was riding alone. I'd watched my dh put it on, but I felt great about doing it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    I haven't had a chain pop off yet, knock wood
    Push the read der arm forward, that gives you a little slack. Pop the chain back on. I don't know if that's right but it's what I do.

Congrats on your triumph Grace, and welcome to TE
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Congratulations, Grace, on a ride well done! Welcome to TE where you can share these little experiences and feel you are "not alone"....

No eye rolls here. A lot of us have been there.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support -- I really appreciate knowing I'm not alone about these things, what a great place to come and revel in these triumphs.

You're all fantastic -- thank you again for your kind words.

It should make you feel wonderful that you figured it out yourself! Congrats!

congrats!! Hey if you ever want to meet up and go for a ride let me know, we probably don't live too far apart.

As a 48 year old woman I know exactly how you felt when you put that chain back on by yourself! We are on the cusp of the femenist movement, and as such were still raised to be pretty dependent on others (men) to solve our problems. Now, I am independent by nature, so every time I prove to myself again that I CAN take care of myself, regardless of what the culture of 1967 told me to believe, I feel empowered.

Yay you for riding; yay you for riding on trails where there are snakes and cayotes and bunnies (Okay, the bunnies aren't scary unless you are in a Monty Python movie); yay you for being able to rescue yourself!

Barbara