Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Don't have any pics right now. Will take some when I get a chance early next week. My favorite is a red long sleeve jersey made of polar fleece. I would like to make another out of wind pro polar fleece as it is the wind that makes me cold.

Kathy

I know Irulan does a lot of sewing. She has made some great things. I make quilts. I don't have the perceptual skills for sewing clothing

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    I know Irulan does a lot of sewing. She has made some great things. I make quilts. I don't have the perceptual skills for sewing clothing
    I just finished a quilt top as well. It's batiks, very cheerful patterns and colors. Haven't found the backing yet, still looking on what I want. jenn

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    She has made some great things. I make quilts. I don't have the perceptual skills for sewing clothing
    While I've been good at sewing and knowing how mentally visualize and to integrate different colours and textures in 1 imaginary harmonious outfit made real in sewn creations, I'm not naturally good for interior design.

Ever since as a child I enjoyed and seem to have a natural skill affinity to do 2-D artwork, for painting, paper arts (papermaking, printmaking), calligraphy, etc., but not for sculpture, carving nor pottery. It's all reflected to the courses I've taken over the past few decades.

I suppose I could consider jewellery making, but haven't tried that yet but shape, composition and colour continuously fascinate me. ...which is also why I do like cycling over all other sports. To me, it's ever changing in visual senses/interest while cycling along.

I recall we cycled by a burnt forest after a forest fire or snowshoeing in winery country in the wintertime...the landscape reveals completely different shapes, shadows and colours that one doesn't see under coverage of green foliage, etc.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-15-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by wannaduacentury View Post
    I just finished a quilt top as well. It's batiks, very cheerful patterns and colors. Haven't found the backing yet, still looking on what I want. jenn
    I would love to see a picture of it.

Thanks everyone for the tips and resources. There is another source for a pattern, a canadian site that I can't recall the name of right now...but I'll look it up later (on my way out the door to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium with the family for the day!)...It may take a while, but when I get the pattern, fabric and have sewn a jersey I'll post some pics!
    Thanks all!
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

[QUOTE=shootingstar;454411]Could you post a pic or 2 of your sewn cycling garments?

I took a couple of pictures of a few of my jerseys that I made. I believe I used a Jalie pattern for the blue/white short sleeve jersy and a raglan sleeve pattern I drafted with Wild Ginger PatternMaster software for the other two. Hope this works.

Kathy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090816 018.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	9883

Name:	090816 019.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	9884

Name:	090816 020.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	9885

Those look really nice!! I think I'll invest in the Jalie pattern too (I ordered the green pepper one already).
    You did a great job-thanks for sharing!
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Looks excellent, dakay. Even the elastic hemline on jersey looks pro. (And obviously you like a elasticized hemline. I'm not as keen...)

someone made a comment about dealing with slippery fabrics. For sewing accurate seam lines, do some quick large hand-basting on the pattern pieces that you need to sew together. Of course after the machine-sewn line is done, you remove the hand-basting threads. Not a big deal.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Looks excellent, dakay. Even the elastic hemline on jersey looks pro. (And obviously you like a elasticized hemline. I'm not as keen...)

someone made a comment about dealing with slippery fabrics. For sewing accurate seam lines, do some quick large hand-basting on the pattern pieces that you need to sew together. Of course after the machine-sewn line is done, you remove the hand-basting threads. Not a big deal.
    I removed the elastic from the one jersey I bought that had it as it kept riding up. The jerseys I made are not tight so the elastic is just enough to keep the hem fitted, but not enough to make it ride up. The advantage of being able to fit as you sew.

Dealing with slippery stretchy fabrics is where a serger really comes in handy.

Kathy

I know I am digging this up from the depths, but I just made myself a couple of pairs of wool tights using the Jalie Long John pattern (no pics, sorry!) and I think they are going to work out really well. I also bought the cycling jersey/shorts pattern and made my youngest a tiny jersey and shorts using the smallest size on the pattern (the Jalie patterns all go from size 2 toddler to adult XXXL)... it's pitifully cute. I haven't made either for myself since I don't have enough of the right fabrics (well, I'm debating making a wool jersey, but still unsure). I made these from dry-tek that I bought thinking it was a different fabric (I wanted the other drytek, this stuff is thicker than I wanted)... and it was just enough to squeak out a pair of shorts and a jersey (which is why the colors don't match from top to bottom).

Yes - they are 6 panel shorts (and no seams on the inner thigh)!

Jersey front

and back pockets (why he needs pockets, I don't know, but it adds to the cute!)

They fit really well but I haven't had a chance to get a picture of him wearing them.. I can see all kinds of options for this pattern... making the top without pockets as rashguard shirts for swimming, or just as a cute top for the kids made from regular cotton knit. It's a very easy to sew pattern too if you skip the zipper... it takes longer to cut out all the parts than to put it together.

I need to order fabric and figure out what I'm doing about the chamois before I attempt my own shorts

From my outdoor sewing site:

Jersey gallery
    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/pgallery.asp

make your own bike shorts
    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/shorts.asp

Jersey making tips - really good method for doing zippers...
    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/jerseys.asp

You are basically screwed regarding chamois. The only aftermarket chamois are of the foam diaper variety. Yuck. I've experimented with making them from layers of polarfleece/ultrasuede but it's just not the same as a nice high tech commerical pad.

What about the ones from aerotech designs? Or do they fall into the 'foam diaper' category.

The best reason I know to make one's own cyclewear, -heck, clothing in general - is to get something that fits in a style that is pleasing. Even back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth & I was skinny, no commercial clothing quite fit right, and in one way or the other lacked in the style department. So I learned to sew.

I haven't made any shorts or jerseys yet, but when I do, they will have the features I find useful, will be in the strong colors I favor and will fit over my hips. I'll post the results.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    What about the ones from aerotech designs? Or do they fall into the 'foam diaper' category.
    http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bikeshorts.htm
    Well, what do you know. I've been looking for something like this for years. "crotch pads"? Who writes their copy?

this is the only one I've ever seen before.
    http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/cycli...s.htm#seamless
    It is nasty, don't try it.