Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Invited to a really long ride!! Advice needed!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I've been posting on here my first two weeks of riding (I started July 28th). I'm averaging about 20 minutes per day that I go out and ride. I get about 4 miles in, and then I go home tired (from a mildly hilly neighborhood). My back side, and my female parts are both sore from the newness of it. My female parts are more of a pressure soreness than a rubbing/chaffing.

Anyway, I've been invited to a 14-15mph 30 mile bike ride on Saturday with some of my friends who cycle. This would be my first and longest actual ride, and I'm nervous. I would go so far to say that I'm scared.

I don't know that I have enough stamina to make it the whole way, or even keep up through a portion. What do you think? Should I try it?

Thanks!

Everyone is different, but I personally wouldn't do it. I've been cycling for almost exactly the same amount of time as you and I'm up to 21 miles and still wouldn't do it. It's all I can do to crank out those 21 miles without dying (then again I'm on the road on a MTB). But, it could be fun to go along for a while. Are you comfortable heading back early on your own?
    Amy

Kickin' it old school on my Huffy, but hey, I RIDE!

You sound really young, I'm sure you could do the 30 miles; but the speed sounds a bit high for the level you are at right now.

Will someone agree to stay with you and ride at your speed? Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I don't have a problem heading back early. I'll just have to remember where we go. I'm not familiar with the area of town we'll be in.

The guy who invited me has just offered a 10mile ride this afternoon, to prepare me for Saturday. He's realizing that I'm a little uncomfortable jumping from 3-4 miles up to 30!

That's great! I would definitely do the 10. Have fun!
    Amy

Kickin' it old school on my Huffy, but hey, I RIDE!

Going from 4 miles to 30 is a big jump. So is going from 10 miles to 30. I'd suggest doing the 10 miler and then continue to gradually increase your miles from there. You'll be ready for a 30-miler soon, I promise. Hopefully, they'll be happy to invite you for their group rides then.

IMO, it's better to build up your mileage gradually than to get discouraged from trying to do a ride you're not quite ready for. I wouldn't necessarily count--at least not without a map--being to head back on your own if you're not familar with the area.

Good luck!

And p.s. I started off where you are now and ended up doing a 160-mile one day ride about a year later, so if you establish some goals, I promise that you you can exceed your wildest expectations.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks! I'm hoping that I do okay.

I am fairly young (28), but I am overweight by about 20lbs. I know I've got extra weight bearing down on my sit bones. So, I'm expecting to be sore.

Anyway, I hope it goes well. I'll report back!

I would not try to go from 3-4 miles to 30 miles. When I first began to ride, I attempted a 30 mile ride with a club, and I got 6 miles and had to turn around (for a total of 12 miles). They said it was almost flat along the coast, but it had alot of hills. I felt badly that someone had to turn around with me and not complete the ride. After that, I joined a beginner bike class, and we went from 8 miles to 25 miles in 8 weeks. It really takes alot of riding to increase your mileage. Four months later, the club was doing the same ride again. I went this time, and it was so unbelievably easy!!! Here I thought it was this big thing to overcome. Now I ride about 15-25 miles 3-4 times a week. I did a 32 mile ride with some faster people a few weeks ago. It takes that kind of time riding to increase your fitness. It also depends on whether the ride is flat or hilly. You can go much farther on flat terrain. So, I would recommend trying to increase your mileage 2 miles farther each time. It is possible, but you have to work up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    You sound really young, I'm sure you could do the 30 miles; but the speed sounds a bit high for the level you are at right now.

Will someone agree to stay with you and ride at your speed? Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.
    I agree with the above statement.

A 14-15 mph average can be FAST for a newbie.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"