Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Solo Touring

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, other photos have been posted. You can find them on Facebook under "Lynnteer Bennett." Hope you all will enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I can see it already..when you get to footloose's area, you will want to spend at least 2 days there, if time is spent talking with the guide/curator at each site. There will be 3 different sites for you to see in that area...which we saw last summer.

I understand that at the Buxton site there is some sort of annual event..during the summer which footloose may know more about.
    I happened to be working in the area of Uncle Tom's Cabin today so stopped around at the museum on my lunch break. It's not officially open for the season yet (opens on the Canadian Victoria Day long weekend in May) but I was pretty sure Steve and Brenda would be there, getting things ready and they were.
    The website isn't updated with this information yet but I found out that their Emancipation Day celebration is July 31st this year. Just so you're aware...that is a long weekend in Ontario with the civic holiday of August 1st.

The Buxton National Historic Site has a Homecoming Weekend celebration but that is held on the Labour Day weekend in Sept.

Have you decided on a date yet for the rest of your trip?

Thanks Footloose for the information. I don't htink it will be this summer. I'm looking more towards this same time next year.

You know, I am so whipped and so tired to the point that I should not want to see a bike any time soon. but I can't seem to stay off of that darn "crazy guy on a bike" touring site. I look at that site and I'm ready to go again, as if I don't know what's already out there waiting...........That's the fever

I just found this thread, lo these months later. Thanks for sharing your journey with us and looking forward to hearing about your travels next time
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-30-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Hello!

Hi,

I've just found your forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I had 2 wheels attached to my body over 45 years ago, and will have to have them surgically removed before I am finally put in my box.

It seems that my "normal" way of life has recently developed into a minority sport called "touring". And it seems from the internet that the boys have muscled in on the action to make it their own!

So it was nice to find a womens forum.

As child, the bike was the main way we all moved around - going to the shops; playing sport; heading off for long summer picnics and generally exploring.

As a teenager, it gave great freedom to avoid being reliant on bus timetables and making it in time to catch the last bus home.

In my twenties, in combination with a tent, it was a passport to free holidays & long weekends - and free everyday transport.

In my thirties & forties it was the only way (other than shanks mare) into town.

And now it is time to hit the road for the big trip...the one I dreamed of as a child...the one I would do when I "grew up". Europe, Arabia, India, Africa...

And despite occasional forays into sharing travelling space with others, I still prefer going solo, avoiding campsites where possible & slinging the tent over a wall in a field, or in woods or a quiet beach and watching the sun set over the Atlantic.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that there is no such thing as bad weather...just bard clothing and have cycled & camped all year round.

For the last 25 years, I have been accompanied by my trusty 27" wheeled Peugeot, but the time has come to choose a new travelling partner. But the boys have cornered the market with their high crossbars (which are alien to me for the last 25 years, and something which I am not sure I want to spent the next 25 years of my life attached to). I want a new steel touring bike - 26" inch wheels - drop handlebars - metal mudguards - dynamo lighting - front and rear racks - and zillions of low gears (age and hill gradient seem to have proportional links).

I'm not a bike techie - can mend a puncture and do minor maintainence, but the boys sites are generally extremely techie minded. Being female, I want something efficient, solid, reliable...and preferably black.

So I'm interested on how other women have managed to find something similar.

It's a bank holiday weekend here and a major race festival all week so I'm heading off now for a few days, to get away from the craziness of the traffic, despite grey skies and rain on the wind.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and recommendations on touring bikes...

Hi Kalilileth,
    Very nice reading.....I can hardly wait for my classes to end so I can get back out there.

Lets see........touring bikes......well, I have the 08 Cannondale t1 and have been in love with it since day one....In viewing a lot of the journals on the website crazyguyonabike, I couldn't help but notice that there are a lot of people touring with the Surly Long Haul Trucker.

I've never toured with one, but there must be something about the bike being that so many are ridding them. You may wanna do a bit of research on this or just view the site and see what other tourers are doing...Hope this helps