Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solo Touring

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yay- glad to read a more upbeat tone in your post.
    Some days are good, some not so much, huh? Sounds like you're really enjoying yourself and all the crazy adventures you're having. I've never been to Oberlin, OH- sounds like someplace I may have to visit some day.

Have fun, enjoy yourself, and check back in often.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Biketouringrook View Post
    She then said "I hope your not planning to camp at Kokosing campground?" Of course I was...her next words were "they are no longer open." Just my luck! There were not hotels, motels, or other campgrounds close around, so I had to go back to a place that I remember (Comfort Inn) a distance of 12 miles away.

I love cycling in the cold. You may have a constant runny nose, but your water will stay cold, and you won't overheat. Last night was really cold. The RV'ers were worried about me. One guy offered me a small heater (Now where I am gonna put a heater in a tent). I put my tent up, set every thing inside, took a shower, ate something, climb into my nice 15 degree sleeping back and after about 30 minutes, I began to worry. It seemed that my feet were getting colder. I said to myself "okay rookie, this is some serious cold, this is not that Florida stuff, you don't want to freeze here and you don't have a car." I reached in my bag, pulled out my shoe covers for cold ridding and placed them on my feet. NOthing was happening. So I took my cycling tights placed my feet inside of the tights and after about 20 minutes I began to warm up. After about an hour it got kinda hot in the sleeping bag, but I remained.

Gosh, I love this stuff! If the slaves actually traveled this rounted they have every ounce of my respect. I was having a difficult time traveling 400 miles one way on bike, when they walked over 3000 miles. Those cars will spoil you.....

Well, this is it for now, I look so forward to picking up the bike trail again.
    And mind-boggling that the slaves were travelling under cover, the whole distance to freedom. Their meals on the run, couldn't have been ...as much as ours..at Burger King, etc.

I found that the hardest part when we went bike touring on our own, was backtracking with load on my bike if we got lost. AND after reaching motel or campsite, for some areas, cycling another 10 kms. or so, for dinner/groceries...after cycling 80-100 kms. with weight during the day.

So you haven't encountered any car drivers who will tell you: "Oh, it's just half hr. around the bend ahead". Yea, right..half an hr. by car. It ends up 1.5-2 hrs. by bike.

How many photos have you taken so far?? Isn't it so lovely to encounter a chain hotel at times. It nearly seems like a mansion after a long, loaded bike ride.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Hip, hip, hooray! I did it! I'm back in Milford relaxing in a nice hotel room. I may be tired, I may be sweaty, I may be a bit salty and I may be smelly, but rest assured, "I did it!" Everything went so perfectly, just like child birth. Hum.......I just may do this again............More later.

Ok --after figuring out this trip so far...so how was Pennsylvania which was your end destination this trip?

Good weather? Sleep well for now. You deserve it!
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Okay, I'm home now. I will edit my photos and place them on my Facebook and send you all the information.

I must tell you all this...... I am so grateful for the people that I met on this tour, even if only for a few minutes of conversation.
    There was one particular guy that I met within the first few miles at the start of my tour as I stopped for a restroom break. He was also cycling. He stopped to talk with me about my tour, provided me with his phone number and said that I should call him if I needed anything. When I returned to Milford a couple of weeks later, I called and left a message thanking him for being so nice. He returned my call and invited me out for breakfast before I left. I couldn't go out because I only have cycling clothes and no regular dress clothes. So, instead, he brought me a big breakfast to the hotel, and we sat in the dinning area and ate breakfast together.

This is another example of the nice people that I met on my tour.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Glad you're back home safe and sound. What a great guy! I'm always on the skeptical side when it comes to strangers, so I'm not sure that if I took a tour all alone I would venture out and talk to many people.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I haven't done any overnight solo bike tours myself yet. But based on what I hear from others, sometimes people are curious about solo cycling tourers.

One woman I know when she was solo bike touring in Ireland, whenever she asked where she was going while she was cycling/temporarily stopping, she occasionally told the person her boyfriend was just ahead of her. She assessed each situation.

Twice when I was bike touring in Nova Scotia out in the countryside with dearie, 2 different female car drivers stopped along the way to ask if I was in "trouble" or if I was ok.

I was. I just stopped for a breather. Dearie was 2-3 kms. ahead of me.
    It was kind of each woman driver.

Glad you are back. This has been my favorite thread on the forum. I would love to do a solo tour one day. Looking forward to the pictures. Sounds like it was a great trip for you.
    Last edited by Trek-chick; 04-26-2010 at 07:12 AM.

So glad you're back and enjoyed yourself so thoroughly! You experienced the same kind of treatment from people that I have while motorcycling all over North America. People are wonderful!

Now make sure you contact me when you plan your Ontario portion of the trip. As Shootingstar mentioned, summers here can be quite warm and humid but for someone from Florida shouldn't be a problem. We don't get hurricanes but we get afternoon thunderstorms sometimes and the odd tornado. But it's flat here and you can see them coming.... There's also lots of perfectly normal, mild days.

I'll assist you any way I can and maybe I'll even get to ride with you for a bit.

Anne-Marie (wyndyacre at yahoo.ca)

Quote Originally Posted by footloose View Post
    We don't get hurricanes but we get afternoon thunderstorms sometimes and the odd tornado. But it's flat here and you can see them coming.... There's also lots of perfectly normal, mild days.
    Before you freak out bikingtourook, southwestern Ontario's tornadoes are VERY rare.

Wow, you're my hero. Thank you for keeping us up to date!

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Before you freak out bikingtourook, southwestern Ontario's tornadoes are VERY rare.
    Yes, that's true!

Thanks for the info on thunderstorms....because I will absolutely "freak out" at he hint of one. I pushed almost 70 miles back to Milford because I was told that a storm was expected later in the evening. It did rain, but no fireworks.

Here are just a few photos from my tour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	042.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	11103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	070.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	11104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	11105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	11106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	119.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	11108  

I guess one or some did not take....Let's try this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	099.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	11109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	117.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	11110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	119.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	11111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	125.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	11112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	11113  

I can see it already..when you get to footloose's area, you will want to spend at least 2 days there, if time is spent talking with the guide/curator at each site. There will be 3 different sites for you to see in that area...which we saw last summer.

I understand that at the Buxton site there is some sort of annual event..during the summer which footloose may know more about.