Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solo Touring

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thank you! The trailer tracks really nice. I have about 25lbs in it now, with maybe 10 more lbs to add, includding locks. I absolutely love it. It pulls, turns, and decends really nicely. At times, I forget it's back there. The info pack says it can pull up to 100lbs. One of the many good things about it, things are not stacked on top of each other, making it easy to find whatever I need. It also has little inside side pockets. I can hardly wait.......

Hi I don't know if you have seen this journal, it was posted here one other time and I was absolutely entranced. 70 yr old woman went solo from Maine to Montana. She had only 6 days of riding left to make it to Seattle but she took a free car ride home to Canada. Very inspiring!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=96915&v=9f

Quote Originally Posted by donna322 View Post
    Hi I don't know if you have seen this journal, it was posted here one other time and I was absolutely entranced. 70 yr old woman went solo from Maine to Montana. She had only 6 days of riding left to make it to Seattle but she took a free car ride home to Canada. Very inspiring!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=96915&v=9f
    What an amazing story! I admire her spirit. So, so cool.

Not to give any spoilers, but the fact she was only yelled at once? Awesome. (Of course, imo, people should have been cheering her on!)

Kudos to her accomplishment.

I'm getting inspired, too. On my last ride I was thinking "I wish I could just keep going and not stop!"

I talked to my husband about it and he said he wouldn't mind making a trip with the camper and having it waiting for me at the end of each day. That would be very convenient for me and fun for him, but there's something about just going alone that seems so much more peaceful and adventurous - and it would feel so FREE!

Well, I did my trial overnight camp out before I start my tour, and I have learned the following things:
    1. check everything twice even if you are positive you have it packed (I took my bike looks, but forgot the keys).
    2. Take at least two forms of I.D (I had to pay an extra 10 bucks, because I could not prove that I was a county resident).
    3. Wet wipes are a must and very handy (I took about 10 and used them all).
    4. Take more tent stakes than you will actually use (I end up bending two of the stakes).
    5. Only place your immediate supplies in your handle bar bag (I carreid way too much stuff in the handle bar bag).
    6. A front helment light is a good thing (I had no place to put my front light without it being blocked by the handle bar bag).
    7. Charge all chargable equipment at least a day before setting off (I waited to charge my camera battery only 4 hours before leaving, and it never got fully juiced, so I could not take pictures).

I take off for my four day tour on Thursday, Nov 12. I'm glad I discovered these things, but I'm also sure there will be more to come with this trip.

Thanks for the suggestion to take an overnighter.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    thanks for sharing your lessons learned! All good things to keep in mind.

I'm so excited for your trip!!! Good luck, watch out for beautiful Florida weather, and have a BLAST (and check in when you get back)! I can't wait to hear all about it.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 11-10-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Have a great time! Take notes! Share when you return! Have a great time!!!

How was it? Please tell!

Mission Accomplished!

I totally apologise for my long delay in providing details.......I was so overwhelmed when I retunred with classes and other stuff. But here goes:
    The trip was better than I had expected. Solo touring is so awesome! I had not one bad experience that turned me off, not even when I got lost. Although I did bunk out.......When I arrived at my first campsite, it was night time, and I was frightened to death when a racoon came up from behind and tapped me on the leg. He would not go away. He walke all over my tent that I had laid out. I had to spray him wiht my "Halt." to get him to leave (that's just like a man).

The camsites were beaustiful. There weren't many tent campers, most were RV's. I felt totally safe throughout the whole trip. On state park facility was so hughe, it had to cycle another 5 miles inside of the park to reach the campgrounds. I had only one flat tire on my trailer, and no other malfunctions. At one point, after setting up my tent, I was so tired, I fell asleep whilet texting on my phone. When I awoke the next morning, the phone was laying on my chest.

Lesson Learned:
    1) you can never have too many lights or batteries (my flashlight began acting up, so I had to make use of my bike light)
    2) don't take all of you daily meals along, just take breakfast (I was so tired when I arrived at my camp site, I did want to cook anything. Once I cycled to Burger King).
    3) If you have a bike map, follow it (I was trying to follow both my bike map and Garmin GPS. I was so confused. The GPS took me through some of the seedest neighborhoods)!
    4) if you are not familiar with the area, and not sure where you are going, don't listen to you MP3 player ( I missed my turn and went ten miles out of the way before becoming suspicious).

Now, for my next adventure, I will be touring the "Underground Railroad" from Milford, OH to Erie, PA. At the start of April I will drive to Ohio, park my car somewhere safe, cycle to PA and cycle back to OH where my car will be waiting. The trip should be around 900 miles, providing that I don't get lost. For this trip I purchased some cold weather cycling clothes, a North Face Minibus 23 tent (oh, yeah, forgot to tell you all that I ripped the screen part of my old tent trying to scare the racoons away that sound like ten thousand creature trying to gain entrance), and a North Face Women Green Kazoo sleeping bag. I am so excited about this trip. There will be so much history to see.

In either July or November, I will tour the last leg of the "Uderground Railroad" into Ontarion, if it's not too, too, cold in November.

Again, I apologise for the long delay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	10885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	10886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	177.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	10887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	128.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	10888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	173.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	10889  

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    So glad to hear back from you BTR! Love the pictures!! Glad that you had a great time and that you really enjoyed yourself! I get freaked out at night when camping alone- every sound sounds like a million zombies coming to eat me.
    Thanks for reporting back. The UGRR sounds fantastic- can't wait to hear all about it!!

Ride on!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Cool! I love your blog spot, Tri Girl. The snow looks so beautiful. I have been in South Florida for 4 years now, and don't think I can do the snow and cold anymore.

I have cycled the whole Underground RR route and it is awesome!! You will love the section you are planning to do! The bike trail is 55 miles from Milford to the North...and just beautiful riding. Have fun!! The lady that Donna322 was talking about (70 yr. old who rode cross country alone) was on the trip with me on the Underground RR in 2008!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/2...groundRailroad
    Last edited by AnnieBikes; 03-06-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Biketouringrook View Post
    In either July or November, I will tour the last leg of the "Uderground Railroad" into Ontarion, if it's not too, too, cold in November.

Again, I apologise for the long delay.
    Biketouringrook, it is recommended if you do southern Ontario portion of the Underground Railroad, to do it in summer or before November.

I am familiar with this area..one of my closest friends..lives in the same town as the historic site for "Uncle Tom's cabin", the home of Josiah Henson. It is in the town of Dresden, Ontario. Which Harriet Stowe based her book on. Yes, the site gets busloads of visitors annually from all over Canada and U.S. It is really a piece of Canadian black history that is incredible.

I have visited/toured and stayed with my friend several times over the last 2 decades. Most recently, last summer.

SHe and I went to some other Afro-Canadian museums related to the whole area and Underground Railroad. About 30 kms. away from Dresden or less, is North America's oldest /first schoolhouse for children of freed black slaves. (early 1800's) It is now a historic site. We were given a tour by the site curator who is a great-great grandson of a pioneer black schoolteacher in the area.

My friend, who is high school teacher ,and I were impressed by the museum's sophisticated curriculum they have devised to teach kids in the region, on life as a Afro-Canadian child during that era --the kids actually take upon the role of a black child of a long-gone class featured in an archival class photo, and the present-day schoolkid is requested to research life about of that child. A real lesson that integrates history, geography, sociology, etc. The children spend several days based out of the historic school site so they can get immersed.

There are 2 different museums on Underground RR in that area in addition to the Josiah Henson's site.
    http://www.uncletomscabin.org/
    http://buxtonmuseum.com/
    http://ckblackhistoricalsociety.org/

The area tends to be flat for cycling. And it is Central-Eastern Canada's tomato region..lots of tomatoes are grown in the region.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-07-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Oh, wow.....I am just so overly excited! Thanks for the wealth of information. I would rather do the last portion of the "Underground Railroad" during the summer season. Are the summers in that particular area dry? Here in South Florida summer is the start of hurricane season, and I am so deathly afraid of "thunder and lightning." I'd rather deal with the cold, than to deal with the thunder and lightning.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    That area of southern Ontario rarely experiences hurricanes. The summers in that area (like any TE forum member from the Toronto area can tell you....which is over 300 kms. northeast of Dresden) can be humid with temp. 80-90 degrees F., particularily in July and August. Area can get thunder and rain.

Dresden sits in an agricultural, flattish area. (but it's not like the prairies). I did mention briefly about this area with photos at TE last year: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=33843

I have not yet bike toured in Dresden, but used to live, work and bike in Toronto area for 14 yrs. We did several different self-supported bike trips involving camping elsewhere in southern Ontario.

One of the links I gave above, refers to the Black Mecca --it was a small town of blacks at that time, that became literary-arts oriented with a high level of literacy among the blacks.

President Abraham Lincoln sent one of his officials to visit this community in Ontario, to see what lessons/insight could be gained for some blacks after the Civil War. As I mentioned in the older link here, Fredrick Douglass, a prominent black activist of that era, dropped by this area and was impressed / amazed.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-07-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.