Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solo Touring

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm sure I've posted this link previously, but it fits right in here:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=2126&v=JK this is one of our recumbent group. Sylvia left on a solo tour in July of 2007, and she is still touring :-) She went from Portland to Vancouver Island, back down the Pacific Coast to Mexico, through and around Mexico, New Zealand, Australia and later this fall heads to Vietnam and Asia.

What I have learned from Sylvia and Myrtle, you're only limited by the limits you place on yourself :-)

Have a fun shake-down 4-day tour, and then a fabulous solo tour, where ever you go - and keep us posted.

Edna

Oh my gosh! Now that trully inspiring. I'm ready.........

Channlluv,
    What I have done in my quest to start touring is starting small. We have done a few overnighters to the local state park, and out and back overnighter on a local rail trail and a few local two and three day trips. With each trip I have refined by packing list. It's a trial and error thing that seems to be working well. We are in the first stages of planning a two week tour in the Canandian Rockies next summer. We'll most likely do a few more local trips before then. Even a short overnighter can teach you alot. Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Biketouringrook View Post
    Hi Chann,
    No, I have no problem with answering your questions. I am 48 and will be 49 in November. I think I'm quite fit. I cycle 4 to five days a week, doing 50 t0 70 miles each ride(no hills in South Florida). I do light weights(power 90) 5 to six days a week before or after cycling. Two teenage sons, and I'm a graduate student- working part-time, which gives me a bit of time to take tours, at least for the next two years. And also being the big "D"(divorced) helps. Only the passion for cycle touring has inspired me. What I'm hoping to achieve, as stated earlier is to simply do everything that I've wanted to do and not be put off by fear.

As for packing, I really was sure what to pack outside of the given, such as, tent, sleeping bag, ect. I read some of the tour journals listed on Crazy Guy on a Bike website, and tailored my list from others.

If this is what you like, as one lady stated here, "Go for it!"

YOU are my new hero. Seriously. How brave you are to live your dreams like this. I can't wait to hear how your planning and tour progress. Thank you for sharing that personal information.

I've got a good bit of training to do before I can think about doing a real tour, but I do like bikerhen's idea of doing the out-and-back overnighters to local parks. That's a super idea and not nearly as intimidating as a longer ride to parts unknown. We have lots of really great camping parks around here, too.

Now, for the gear...

How do you plan what roads to take?

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post

Now, for the gear...

How do you plan what roads to take?

Roxy
    Start with the basics, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, (the ground is a lot harder these days), cook stove, food, clothes and whatever else you think you need. Althought after hauling a bunch of "stuff" around, you'll start to realize just what you can and can't do without. You might want to check out crazyguyonabike.com. There is a lot of good information to be found in people's touring blogs. But you really have to just jump in and give it a try. The best part of starting local, if something goes wrong, like the huge thunder storm we had on our first trip out, or you forget something really important, like the tent, you're close to home for some support.

As for roads, the local ones I know. Further from home I study the map and plan from there. If your talking cross country, check out Adventure Cycling maps. They have some good one. I live near a couple of adventure cycling routes. One local(ish) tour I have planned uses some sections of their maps that I have combined with the roads I know. It will be a week to ten days tour. I haven't done it yet but I will someday. That darn needing to work and pay the bills thing really interferes with my bike riding! Another source is to check the routes of local organized rides. They are usually run on bike friendly routes and could be used as part or all of a route to a local camping spot. Hope this jump starts some ideas for you. bikerHen

It really does. Thank you.

I was at my daughter's middle school orientation this morning and as I was looking at the school calendar, I found myself thinking, "Hmm...October 16 is a holiday, long weekend, family road trip..."

Yeah, here we go. Woohoo!

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

When I started with the notion of an independent toure, I first went on a couple of supported tours just to get the feel of the whole thind. I went on one tour in NY for 400 miles and 8 days with camping. Then went on a second one to the Florida Keys, wich was only 75 going, camped over night and cycled back 75 miles, but lost of fun, nice people and great entertainment.

As for the roads, this will be a great challenge for me. I have no geographical skills, at all. Nevertheless, I have a Garmin 605 GPS that I will load with North American maps, and I will get maps from Adventure Cycling.

I get such a rush talking about this. I wish for you all the goodness and best in making your decision.

How many pairs of bike shorts do you take with you, and how do you/do you wash them as you tour? (Trying to figure out what I should be doing for my little ride next month! )

Channlluv -

That's the spirit! Just go.

DH & I noticed recently that we both had (the same!) two days off so we just tossed a few things in backpacks (we ride 'bents and hang the backpacks off our seat backs), tossed a coin as to direction, and took off to a nearby small town for a wonderful get-away. Historic (and cheap!) hotels and fried dill pickles anyone?

We had a blast. You will too. Go for it.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by owlice View Post
    How many pairs of bike shorts do you take with you, and how do you/do you wash them as you tour? (Trying to figure out what I should be doing for my little ride next month! )
    I took two shorts and two jerseys for my week long tour. The best tip I got about laundry, was to wear your bike clothes into the shower with you to wash everything at the same time. I refined this to the following technique when faced with coin operated showers. I use one coin at a time. Start with shorts off and pour soap on them, then get the shorts wet and scrub while rinsing myself with my jersey still on. When time runs out take off the rest of my clothes, soap them up and scrub. When rinse everything and me, with the next coin. When time runs out again, hang up the wet clothes and start scrubing me. Your technique my vary. We had a shower that cost 25 cents per minute and it was the shortest "minute" I ever spent. It took five quarters to get me and my clothes all clean.

Drying the clothes can be more of the issue. If you have good weather, just string up a clothes line to dry them. Don't forget to pack a clothes line and a couple of clothes pins. We had a couple of rainy mist days along the coast so nothing would completely dried overnight. You can A: Hang your clothes off your panniers or trailer to dry, attach well. My sister lost her favorite shirt. Or B: Stop at a laundromat when you pass through a town. Or C: Just wear wool because it doesn't have to be laundred as often. bikerHen

Thanks, bikerHen; I appreciate the info!!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    all this talk of touring is making me want to do an over-nighter again- SOON. No more vacation until December, but there's always the weekends...

Thanks for the re-inspiration, ladies. Of to my atlas and gazetteer...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Here he is! Practice makes perfect, I hope. November 12th is the date.......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	10024

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Beautiful setup! Love the bike, and the Burley is nice, too.
    How does it handle? I've only pulled a trailer one time loaded down with groceries and it felt like I was dragging the bike through mud.

Woo hoo for you!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

That is one serious touring rig. I like it.

Now all you have to do is get out there and enjoy it.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX