Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: carrying water

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

Question carrying water

To disable ads, please log-in.

Now that I've got my touring bike I'm experimenting with things on my rides to get a feel for a method of madness that works for me. I'm trying to figure out a system for carrying water on my day trips.

I live in the south with Aug. temps in the mid 90's-100's. I have room for 5 bottles on my bike and I have a Camelbak with a 72 oz bladder. I'm wrestling with whether to carry water on me as opposed to bottles on the bike--or both. If I carry it on the bike it's likely to get hot because most of my bottles are not insulated. I do like the Camelbak because the water stays cooler longer.

Do you just get used to drinking hot water on a hot day? What works for hot regions?

I drink more when I wear the Camelbak since I don't have to stop. I do carry two extra bottles in case I drain the Cbak.

Warm water is better than no water.

You might try filling those insulated bottles and freezing them but that only stays cold slightly longer.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    +1 to what Zen said.
    I don't even think freezing water bottles is worth it. I freeze a little water in my Camelbak then have one bottle with cold water on the bike. By the time I'm done with the bottle on the bike, my Camelbak has thawed enough to drink from and I have cold water on my whole ride.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I really prefer water at air temperature, but when it gets super hot and my ability to cool myself by sweating is maxed out, I know that drinking cool water helps me keep my core temperature down.

If I fill my Platypus (neoprene insulated) with ice cubes, then top it off with water (which comes from my tap at 55°F), it'll stay quite cool for as long as it takes me to drink the 1.8 liters. I save the frame mounted bottles for electrolyte drink, mixed extra strong.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    ...but when it gets super hot and my ability to cool myself by sweating is maxed out, I know that drinking cool water helps me keep my core temperature down...
    That's what I've run into--water too hot to keep me cool. I don't mind the Camelbak water getting a little warm, but when the water in the cages gets too warm it's only good for dousing to stay cool until I can get somewhere to get ice water. I've wondered how people do it with carrying all those bottles on their bike and staying cool and refreshed with the water.

Well, I live in Sunny South Florida, Ft. Lauderdale area, and it's HHHHOOOOTTT! The sun it hot around 8:30am and it does not began to cool until 6:30 or 7pm. The temp is around 90 to 94 degrees. I cycle for 4,5,or 6 hours. I always freeze 5 water bottles, take three with me, two on the bike and wrap one in plastice(keep things from getting wet) and place it in my tail rider trunk bag. This seems to carry me through. It's best if you let the water freeze for a couple of days, rather than overnight. This is why I freeze five, the other two will be solid when I'm ready for them the next day.

water, heat and riding

I do most of my day rides and long training rides in suburban areas so I usually only carry 2 water bottles on my bike, 1 with electrolyte and 1 with plain water. I have given up freezing anything since this summer the temps have averaged 95 or higher everyt ime I have ridden. I find that the electrolyte although tepid by 7 miles is usually still palatable, and I use the plain water to dilute the remaining electrolyte. I usually pass a gas station at 1/3 of the way and I make a point of stopping in and using the restroom (never pass up a flush toilet) and buy a bottle of water or sport drink and then ask if I can get some ice.

If I am going to be in more rural areas, I carry a camelbak as a backup, but mostly I figure that a brief step down every 25-30 miles for a toilet break and a few minutes in the ac help keep me cooler and hydrated.

marni in Sugar Land Texas

On what to use to carry water, this is what I have...

I could never fit 2 full size bottles 24oz on my bike until I got side loader cages (frame size 49cm)...
    http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...580/5418/33214

This will hold 2 bottles behind the seat (comes in both saddle rail mount or seat post mount)...
    http://www.profile-design.com/profil...ation/rm1.html

I ordered one of these, but it has not arrived yet. Some of the pros wore them on the tour in the past...
    http://www.camelbak.com/en/sports-re...bak-women.aspx

I own the women's specific mtb Camelbak "Charm". Holds 50oz H2O. I've considered wearing it for road riding. I just don't see it being comfortable in the more aero position--vs. the mtb. The vest is designed for roadies.

One thing to consider is that one filled bottle weighs 1.5#s approximately. Depending on where your route is at, a stop for something cold at a conv. store might be worth an extra couple miles off the route. Plus, if you are courtesy paying customer (read--don't just go in and use the restroom for free & bathroom sink for a free H2O refill--buy water / snack)... the probably wouldn't mind giving you more ice for your other bottles too.

Personally, I do not like ice in my water or it cold. And recently even on one of my club's tours for 50mi with temps 90s heat index 101 degrees. BECAUSE... the bottles are wet and slippery from sweating themselves. The risk of dropping a bottle while riding into another rider's wheel, traffic, my own wheel, etc. I think it is not worth it--just worries me, personally.

I think the ideas of freezing is good if you like it that way. I know other peeps that do that as well.
    Last edited by Miranda; 08-17-2009 at 03:21 AM.

I wear a smaller camelbak and bring as many bottles as I can carry. I find it much easier to refill my camelbak with my water bottles, then refill the bottles as needed. Water temperature is not an issue for me. Warm or cold it's still water and rehydrates me. bikerHen

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    This will hold 2 bottles behind the seat (comes in both saddle rail mount or seat post mount)...
    http://www.profile-design.com/profil...ation/rm1.html

I just got this and started using it. One of my Colnagos only has one bottle cage, and I couldn't stand the idea of drilling brazes into Ti. So far, I like it. I took off the little rubber bands - I think they're designed to hold in smaller bottles. I haven't had any problems yet - but I still haven't tried to put the bottles back while I'm moving - they're my "stoplight" bottles.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I have one of those as well. It seems to hold the bottles securely and slides up or down the seatpost to accommodate a saddle bag.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I've used an X-Wing behind the seat carrier for years. They have both the kind that mount on the seat post (if non-carbon) and on the saddle rails (if post is carbon).

I put 2 cages on the X-Wing, plus velcro'd my spare tubes to it. I use the light profile design cages. Stil room for a little under-the-seat bag.

I found it much easier to reach behind for a bottle... putting it back took a little practice

P.S. I was told by my old LBS to NEVER use any clamp thingies on a carbon seatpost... in case you was wondering.

spazz
    Last edited by spazzdog; 08-20-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff