Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Get out of my comfort zone

To disable ads, please log-in.

As I said in my write up about Barb's Race, the run terrifies me. But it's also what keeps me coming back, it's a challenge. So I've been thinking that I need to do some more running races, but I don't like the huge groups. I found this race which takes place at our local reservoir and says it gets only 300 runners, not 3,000! The road to the reservoir is one of my regular rides.

http://www.ccwater.com/losvaqueros/T...ations.asp#10k

I of course am contemplating the half. If I'm going to do it, I might just as well jump in with both feet. But geez a climb on a run of over 1200 feet! Yellow does this stuff all the time, but I'm wimpy.

It's 11 weeks away, so I think I have time to prepare.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

If you like to do a little traveling, the Philadelphia Distance Run is a great little half marathon. I did it about a decade ago when I was a runner.

WAY flat, beautiful course through historic Philly, great organization and support. It's in Sept, so if that's too soon for this year perhaps put it in your "next year" pile of choices.

Here's the link: http://philadelphia.competitor.com/

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Yellow does this stuff all the time, but I'm wimpy.
    Absolutely not true!!!
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    p'shaw. You can certainly do that if you can do a HIM!

What about one of the PCTR events? The seldom have more than a couple hundred runners. They are really well organized and super fun. But they are all on trail, so if you are looking for a pavement race, they they wouldn't be a good choice. The bonus is that there are tons of them, so you have lots of choices.

Thanks for reminding about them Yellow. I want to use this winter to become a better runner and it looks like they have events every month. Events keep me focused.

And thanks AG for the vote of confidence.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 08-07-2009 at 07:46 AM.

TandemHearts.com

I suppose now I'll have to think about trail running shoes.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

I was going to suggest one of the PCTR events yesterday, then got distracted at work before I could look up the link.

In addition to being small fields, I like the trail runs because a lot of it is really just super fast hiking, as opposed to running.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

At the end of 2008 I had gotten a friend tied into doing a walking marathon with me for May 2009.

She was coming off the sofa (although relatively fit) and I was coming off an Ironman.

I think doing that marathon was the best thing for me. Training for it, made me go do a lot of local running races that I never would have done. It made me face my fear of running and fear of distances.

I basically did a walk/run combo for my training and for the marathon. As did she. It worked out great for both of us.

Anyways, I think if you take the time to focus on just running you will see that it's not all that bad.

I know for me, the marathon training was NOT miserable. I was shocked! I thought I would hate it. Sure, at times it was hard... the 16-18 mile days were not easy... but it wasn't completely miserable either.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"