Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

how do you know if you have long arms?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This sounds dumb I know but is there some universal size chart for what's long arms and what's short arms?

Climbers, as in rock climbers sometimes refer to people with long arms as "positive ape index" and people with so called shorter arms " negative ape index". Essentially what they mean is if when you hold your arms out to your sides at a 90 degree angle to your body and take the measurement from the finger tips of you left hand to the finger tips of your right hand and this number is higher then your height then you have a positive ape index. My husband has a positive ape index and he could just reach his way through some tough rock climbing areas where I had to use my feet more to work my way up.

If shirts fit you in every way but in the sleeves (too short) or if you tend to buy men's shirts just to get the sleeves long enough.

Or if you buy just about eveything Ibex makes for women, out of the sheer joy and ecstasy of finding women's clothes with sleeves long enough.

(or if you fit in the "tall" sizes on LL Bean's women's size charts for arm length... or if your arms are so long that they are still OFF THE CHART even for women's talls...)

Gee, sounds like I might have some personal experience with this issue, eh? Just call me "Knotted Orangutan Yet."
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    Climbers, as in rock climbers sometimes refer to people with long arms as "positive ape index" and people with so called shorter arms " negative ape index". Essentially what they mean is if when you hold your arms out to your sides at a 90 degree angle to your body and take the measurement from the finger tips of you left hand to the finger tips of your right hand and this number is higher then your height then you have a positive ape index. My husband has a positive ape index and he could just reach his way through some tough rock climbing areas where I had to use my feet more to work my way up.
    Good description! And it matches what I read about sweater design and fit. I'm just under 64" tall but my wingspan is 66" so I'm a postive ape.

Shirts sizes may not be a good indcator if you buy larger sizes to accomodate shoulders, boobs, etc., but probably works if you are slim for your height.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

68 inch height, 71 inch wingspan. I'm positive ape!

Yup, definitely "Knotted Orangutan Yet."
    (and wearing men's shirts, women's talls, and Ibex)

ETA: oh, and Horny Toad and Shebeest have good sleeve lengths too. Just a little tip o' the hat for all my positive ape sweeties. Shebeest is available here on TE at prices much better than average.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 08-04-2009 at 08:33 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    62.5" height, just under 65" wingspan. More monkey business here...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Answer not for the faint of heart...

I just asked my 25 yo son this question. His immediate answer:

"Okay, if you put your hands together, and put them in your vag... and can still clap, you know you have long arms."

I don't know where he came from.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    "Okay, if you put your hands together, and put them in your vag... and can still clap, you know you have long arms."

Karen
    I don't think I'll be trying that method!

64" height with a 61" wingspan - negative ape here (I prefer to call it positive T-rex)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

OMG -- I'm only 62.5" and I have a 65.5" wing span!

67" wing, 63.5" height.
    No wonder WSD bikes don't feel right on me! I have a short torso but ape-tastic arms.

To Knotted Orangetang's list I'll add:

If you learned to sew just to get sleeves (and pants) long enough - and start by adding 2 inches to sleeve length - yep, positive ape index.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I'm about a +3; have always had problems with sleeves too short. I guess it was an advantage when I was a climber.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er