Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Read any good books lately?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just finished A Fortunate Life by A.B Facey & twas a great read. It's Mr Facey's autobiography & details his life on farms being settled in early Western Australia & his time at Gallipoli. He was unable to attain any education but managed in his own way.

ANother one worth reading is Swimming to Antarcticaby Lynne Cox. WOW!!! If you need something to make you understand that pain is all in your mind, this is the book!

I started reading Prisoner Of the State-The SEcret Journal of Ex Chinese Premier Zhao Ziyang-had to put it down as the translated text often doesn't flow well?

I'm looking for good Non Fiction recommendations if you have any.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Jumping between 2 bks. on the whims of fickle moments:

The Craftsman. By Richard Sennett. Bk. is a philosophical examination of craftsmanship, history and social impact on craftsmanship due to industrialization (=mass production), globalization (outsourcing) and free enterprise. For instance, he talks about the true craftsperson who just like to perfect their work for perfection sake. But forget the end result. He uses the example the creation of the atomic bomb as an example where bomb creator didn't think of destructive consequences thoroughly. References to skill of patient diagnosis by doctors and nurses if there is time and no push to be cost-efficient, vs. the revolving door of patient care treatment efficiencies. So lots of different ways of examing "craftsmanship" and what we now value/don't value as much.

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Prof-Ric...3214&sr=1-1

One Foot in Laos. By Dervla Murphy. She is the prolific Irish cyclist and hiker. Has written travelogues over past 20 yrs. She is over 70 or late 60's in this trip. Am reading this 2nd time since I've had this bk. for awhile.
    http://www.amazon.com/One-Foot-Laos-Derv...3413&sr=1-1
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

new twist on economic theory:

Mr. Silver, you may be interested in these two books.

Animal Spirits by George A. Akerlof & Robert J. Shiller
    The Big Sort, why the clustering of Like-minded America is Tearing Us Apart by Bill Bishop

Other books I can't recommend.

animal related:

A Lion Called Christian, The true Story of the Remarkable Bond Between Two Friends and a Lion by Anthony Bourke and John Rendall (fast easy read)

autobiography of sort. If you like about getting back to the land.
    Made From Scratch by Jenna Wolgrin (sp) The book is in the garage book shelf.
    http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/
    Peace At Heart, An Oregon Country Life by Barbra Drake so soo...

homesteading related back to earth kind

The Winter Harvest Handbook by Eliot Coleman great reference book BTW. MUST HAVE
    The One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka It's been translated and it is more about zen of homesteading bit philosophical. Another half a dozen or so books but ehhh...

I don't have time to read fiction. The other books I read are technical related to my field so would be of no interest here. Things like
    Wind Energy Explained, Theory, Design and Application
    The Definitive Guide to the ARM Cortex-M3 Arm Computer chip manual. Talk about dry read.

and so it goes...

I have read the following:
    Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell The eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of Seal Team 10. This was a great book. After reading this it gave me appreciation for what the Military are doing in Afganistan. That part of the world is not easy to be fighting in especially due to the terrain.

Madam Secretary A Memoir Madeleine Albright. This has been intresting just from the point of view of someone so close to the President and what actually happens on a day to day basis inside a whitehouse/cabinet posisition. I am still in the middle of this book. Some chapters are more dry than others. Also, it is intresting how she even ended up in politics.

The Green Book by Elizabeth Rodgers and Thomas Kostigen. This has been helpful to make my/our lives more green where we can.

One bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick. Inspired by the Lone Survior read. Finished the first part, bur should be intresting.

Inspired by CC and her studies, I picked up Urban Sprawl and Public Health Designing, Planning, and Building for Healthy Communites by Howard Frumkin, Lawrence Frank, and Richard Jackson. I just started this one. I really like it. I think it will actually answer a lot of questions that I have about commuting and cycling instead of driving. I am also intrested in Public Health too. So this is a good combonation of the two subjects.

Gusher of Lies The Dangerous Delusions of "Energy Independence" by Robert Bryce. I read The Bottomless Well and I think it was a bit over my head. I think this might still explain the same subject matter but in a way that might more sense to me.

I have also ordered Oil and Gas Production so I have a better understanding of how this all takes place.

If anyone has any other Urban Studies/Planning titles, I'd be intrested. The whole cycling commuting connection is facinating to me. America's dependence on the automobile is terrible, but if we could change/modify our cities that would much better.

Anyway, that is my most recent selection.

Happy reading.....

Red Rock

Right now I'm reading Don't Kiss Them Goodbye, by Allison Dubois. This is "the true story of the woman who inspired the hit NBC television series Medium." I find DuBois' discussions of communicating with dead people fascinating.

Earlier this year I read Over the Hills: A Midlife Escape Across America by Bicycle, by David Lamb. I greatly enjoyed his independent spirit and the adventure of crossing the U.S. alone by bike. I usually skipped the descriptions of bicyling history.
    Last edited by OnTerryOh; 08-02-2009 at 06:48 PM.

red rock

RedRock..I think it was Spokewench or Tulip that put me onto the cyburbia website (planning related) www.cyburbia.org

You can also go to www.planning.org (American Planning assn)

Suburban Nation:Rise of Sprawl and the decline of the American Dream Andres Duany
    (I'd love to read all of it but it's a high demand book at the uni library & only avail for 3 day loans..) I can see this one on my shelf very soon!

Books I have out atm for another class (Diversity & cultural planning) but haven't read yet...
    Heterotopia & the City-Dehaene & De Cauter
    Identity, Ethnic Diversity and Community Cohesion Wetherell, Lafleche & Berkeley
    Enough is Enough: Contested Communities Paul HOggett

if you're into Chinese politics/human rights, I highly recommend Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng. I couldn't put it down.

I'm reading The suspicions of mr. Wicher right now. By Kate Summerscale. It's about a true murderstory and the policeman who investigated the murder. Non-fiction but written as a detective story.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008...books.features

Another book that is waiting for me: The Good Terrorist by Doris Lessing.

http://www.dorislessing.org/thegood.html

This is an all time favorite:

The Larve by Midas Dekkers. An interesting view on children....
    http://www.nlpvf.nl/book/book2.php?Book=89
    Last edited by papaver; 08-03-2009 at 05:49 AM.

I haven't read The Good Terrorist, but the title reminded me of a book that I have read: The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. One of those books you read in one sitting with your eyes huge.

But you were looking for nonfiction... I have a couple in the pile, but mostly been reading fiction lately.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I haven't read fiction in last 2 yrs. or more. Unlike some folks here, I'm pretty turtlish at the rate of reading books at this point in life. A big contrast when I used to devour them many decades ago.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Fun reading in the romance section:

Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward.

Also:

In death series by JD Robb

I've forgotten this one.

Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, from Fire to Freud by Peter Watson

http://tinyurl.com/n3j98f

Very good reading.

And this one:

A people's history of the United States : 1492 to present by howard zinn

http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Histor.../dp/0060838655

I recently finished The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country by journalist Howard Fineman. Fineman believes that our never-ending, passionate national 'arguments' about such issues as immigration, religion, free press, and the like are what make the U.S. strong. Says Fineman in his intro: "We are the Arguing County, born in, and born to, debate. The habit of doing so---the urgent, almost neurotic need to do so---makes us unique and gives us our freedom, creativity, and strength." A good read, and good reminder that dissent is both healthy and patriotic.

I'm now reading Rick Steves' Travel as a Political Act. Steves is the host of the PBS series "Europe Through the Back Door." A well-written reminder that stepping outside of one's own borders, comfort zone, and assumptions can be deeply rewarding.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Light Beach Reading this summer: Birth of Venus and In the Company of the Courtesan. Italy, art, romance (kinda), history.

I just finished James Patterson 8th Confession(Women's Murder Club) series. I just started the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series 3 For the Dough, these should keep me busy for awhile since there's 14 or 15 in the series.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100