Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Feminine discomforts

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm actually not new to cycling, but the vast majority of my riding for the last 7 years has been on recumbents. I recently got an upright Serotta, and have experienced some discomfort in that area that we usually don't talk about on other boards. I had a sample of Chamois Butt'r that I got as a freebie on a ride, so I tried using it yesterday, and it was a big improvement. Is this what other people use? Any recommendations?

I use Chamois Butter, yes. But remember sometimes discomfort means you are not fit exactly right to the bike/saddle.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I used to use chamois butter, but I sweat and it's gone into the chamois. I went to the baby section at CVS and found a petroleum jelly. It works great. Stays on after lots of sweat and washes out no problem. Just another option. Don't forget the lube!

I use Beljum Hard Core Budder. It's the only one I've used. I haven't tried Chamois Butt'r or any other type.

I've used it on the sides of my leg where it meets the pelvis, I've used it on my sit bones area, and it feels so smooth.

I'm on the learning curve, and I'm not too sure how often I need to reapply (so far, I've only ridden an hour as my longest ride). I just put a dallop and shove it down my shorts, get some water and rinse my hands off...very easy to rinse.

I'm not too keen on petroleum jelly because jelly isn't exactly easy to clean off.

I guess it's all preferences. You may not be used to the saddle since you're coming off the recumbent...It took me a week, but now I'm used to the saddle and it feels really comfortable.

On top of that, always make sure that the saddle fits you and the bike is fitting you right...just a little angle off can cause issues.

Body Glide. Lubricates wonderfully, stays on a long time, washes off skin and out of shorts easily, very safe.

But +1 on addressing any possible fit issues.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I use baby lotion and sometimes Astroglide and I've found that the more I use, the better! And I use it on my "girly bits" because chafing down there is a really really really bad thing. I'm not sure exactly what parts you're having issues with, but I've never had any problems from baby lotion or Astroglide. Chamois Butt'r, however, irritates my more sensitive areas. Not sure, but I think it might be the lanolin.

I don't use anything. I used to use chamois butt'r, but now that I am using shorts and and a saddle that really work for me (after quite a bit of trial and error), I find I don't need to, at least on rides of up to 43.5 miles, my longest this summer. To butt'r or not to butt'r is another one of many YMMV things!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

comfort woes

I went through the same thing, tried four different saddles, and finally spent the money for a professional bike fit and found out that I was on way too large a frame. Since I had to reach too far forward as the top tube ratio was way too long, I was putting all the pressure on my front rather than my sit bones. I broke down and got a new bike, best decision ever. Shop took my old bike in trade, gave me a great deal, and now I ride a consistent 120 miles/week without any female issues. I was having so much discomfort that it is now a whole different experience. It did take a few rides to break in my new saddle, but even that was a different kind of discomfort than what I was experiencing before I got the right frame fit and set up.

It is really important to get some pro fitting help if you don't know how to check the fit yourself, and they have several measuring tools and devices that make things very accurate to your body. Good luck!

Just to add--if your seat is too narrow, your weight is on your "girl parts" and not on your sit bones. I did this recently on a friend's bike--OUCH. Combine that with the Rosie Road's explanation and I ended up standing on the pedals all the way home
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

What exactly hurts? Feel free to use words like "vagina" or "labia" to describe. If could be a fit, shorts, or saddle issue.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

For me it's mostly been chafing of the inner labia. As I said in the original post, trying that sample of chamois butt'r helped. I bought the bike from a shop where the owner is REALLY into proper bike fit, where he has equipment to set things up and makes adjustments involving a millimeter here, a millimeter there, etc. However, I wonder whether the angle of the seat might be an issue. Maybe it's slightly too high in the front or something. Thanks for all of the responses. This has been very helpful.

+1 for chamois butt'r and i'm extravagant w it. worth every penny.

hi, i just wear knicks, but i was having an issue with pain there, and i was thinking the angle of the seat was wrong and stuff like that but i had a proper bike fitting from the owner of the shop that has represented the country, so been into cycling forever, so i figured that wasn't the problem. but i got a new pair of knicks and it feels much better, and they aren't even women specific ones either, i bought them because they were the matching set for my LBS jersery. when i wear my female specific knicks which was the first ones i had i can feel the difference after about 15kms with them.

undergarments

what type if any underwear is worn with riding pants or shorts....sorry new rider not sure.. thanks for helping me with this.
    youngatheart

Commando under cycling shorts. Any type of panties IMO will chafe. Not pretty.