Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice for my sister's cat.

To disable ads, please log-in.

So my sister's cat has this really strange problem.
    I will back up a little here. For those who don't know my sister and her family have a very sick child. Lorelei has been sick since she was 2 and she is 4 right now.
    Now her cat Max has been a good boy but ever since Lorelei got sick he has started gnawing on himself. I am sure this is because he is not at the top of the list anymore. As it should be. Lorelei is very sick. He is a tri pod cat. he was born without a part of one leg. And when this first started he was gnawing on his stump. The vet said it was, oh shoot phantom limb I think? But he stopped and started doing it on his other leg. Now the wierd part is his lips are wearing away. I have never heard or seen such a thing. Now please my sister love's Max but they can't afford to take him to the vet right now. They have spent over a month just this year in the hospital and are focused on getting her better. I have talked to them about it and you can tell it is not because they don't care, Lore is the priority. I would offer to give them money for him but I am afraid they would take that wrong."Oh you will give us money for our cat, how about giving us money for our little girl?" Kind of a tough situation. Has anyone heard of this lip thing? It is like it is slowly reseding. But it is raw looking. I know this has got to be from lack of attention. He used to be the center of it.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Poor kitty...have you tried something like Feliway? e.g., http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...tid=8906&rel=1

One of the behaviorial pet people swears by it for stress related behaviors. Doesn't work for all, but apparently enough that professionals don't discount it as nonsense.

But, I'd still try to get that cat into a vet...could be an infection by the symptoms you describe.
    Last edited by Thorn; 07-31-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: wrong link -- meant the aeresol

I can send you some Feliway plug ins if you want. I might even have a refill left. It didn't work for my cat, but might work for your sister. They're just gathering dust in the closet.
    Amy

Kickin' it old school on my Huffy, but hey, I RIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastAmy View Post
    I can send you some Feliway plug ins if you want. I might even have a refill left. It didn't work for my cat, but might work for your sister. They're just gathering dust in the closet.
    That would be really nice of you! They are tight with money for sure. let me know and i can give you my sister's address.

Not a problem at all! Send me the address and I'll get them out tomorrow.
    Amy

Kickin' it old school on my Huffy, but hey, I RIDE!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Now please my sister love's Max but they can't afford to take him to the vet right now. They have spent over a month just this year in the hospital and are focused on getting her better. I have talked to them about it and you can tell it is not because they don't care, Lore is the priority. I would offer to give them money for him but I am afraid they would take that wrong."Oh you will give us money for our cat, how about giving us money for our little girl?" Kind of a tough situation. Has anyone heard of this lip thing? It is like it is slowly reseding. But it is raw looking. I know this has got to be from lack of attention. He used to be the center of it.
    Pet parrots and dogs do this too when they feel bored and neglected. Licking/grooming/chewing themselves raw. So sad, and so frustrating and difficult to cure.

I totally understand that their top priority is their sick daughter, and that's as it should be.
    But the cat must be suffering and in pain. If they won't/can't take it to a vet and can't give it enough attention...then I have to ask- maybe they should re-think owning the poor animal?
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 07-31-2009 at 09:41 AM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with Bicyclista on this one. If the cat is in that bad of shape, there's a problem.

But as far as diagnosis without really seeing the cat, it sounds like it's most likely dermatitis, given the raw lips and chewing. Which could be caused or just aggravated by stress. I'd suggest fish oil supplements if possible. The other thing that can cause raw lips is reactions to bowls- especially plastic ones. Make sure they have a glass, ceramic, or metal bowl and that it is washed frequently. If you're over there, brush the cat and give it some attention- at least it'll get something that way.

PS- sounds like the state I got Sadie in- ignored for 6 mos before her rehome because of a sick child, plus fed crap food, so she had dermatitis and an elbow so raw from scratching and gnawing it reeked. We've gotten her skin and most of her coat back to normal with some good food, fish oil and vitamin e everyday, proper grooming and exercise.
    Last edited by mayanorange; 07-31-2009 at 08:20 AM.
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page

is there any way you can temporarily take Max into your care until your niece's condition is more stabilized?

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    is there any way you can temporarily take Max into your care until your niece's condition is more stabilized?
    +1 I was going to suggest this too. Or if they're not close, see if they have a local friend who can foster him for a while.
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page

One of my kitties is an overgroomer. She first started licking and chewing herself raw when I got her fixed. She went to town on her shaved tummy and had to wear an e-collar until the fur grew back. Then she started on her paws. There's no obvious environmental or food trigger, but the thing that helped alleviate it the most--beyond cortizone shots as needed--was a companion. Since getting my other cat, Henry 9 years ago, she's only had two or three flareups, and with a long-acting cortizone shot and an e-collar, I was unable to get them under control rather quickly. I think she just gets bored and lonely.

Good luck. It' s a tough situation. If they have a vet they've worked with in the past--especially if the know about Lore--then perhaps they'll give a discount for any necessary treatment.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

"lips wearing away" Sounds like what is called a rodent ulcer. That and the itching that is causing the overgrooming could very well be allergic dermatitis. Often the cause is undetermined
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/

Pets do react to the stress in the house. Since Lorelei's family has been dealing with her illness for so long, maybe Kitty needs a foster home for a while, and to be seen by a Vet. Between being in a stable calm home, and being treated for her medical issues, hopefully she'll recover.

I know Lorelei's family loves Kitty, but she is a living creature that needs love and attention too, and if the family can't manage that because Lorelei is taking all their energy, then Kitty deserves a new home. It is a sad conundrum.
    Beth

They could try calling the vet and explaining the situation. Some vets do charity work, or will make arrangements to be paid "whenever".
    If that doesn't work, I think the idea of finding another place for the kitty, either temporarily or permanently is a good one. If friends or family won't help, get the kitty on the waiting list for a no-kill shelter.

From what I've heard, the Feliway is worth a try.

Pets do react to stress in the family. Rehoming an animal under such circumstances is truly an act of love.

My very best wishes to all who are involved in this situation, and all who try to help.

Thank you all for the advice! We have talked a few times today about it. I have passed on the advice from you all. She can't imagine giving him away unless it was to me. And since I am on the road right now with work that would be hard. But the tone in her voice was very "Please don't ask me to do that". They are going to take him to the vet. I have told her to start giving him a better food right now too and start bushing him at least once a day for the attention. I know my cats love it.
    One of my kitties rip out his hair on his belly when we are away from stress I am sure. But it is tiny spots. And his siter is a huge help for him to stay busy. I wonder if he had another cat? Yea just what they need another mouth to feed. Stupid! (smacking my head)