Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

...and another one!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am so happy to have found this place! I started riding regularly just this past May and I am in love. I'm 47 and in good health but only fair shape.
    So far I ride 30-40 miles a week (only 10-12 miles per day) and have been slowly increasing the distance each week. There is a chance I could also bike to work (less than 5 miles each way) if I can find a safe place for my bike while I work.
    Currently I have been using the generic mountain bike my family got me for mother's day, but its killing me (I'm grateful for the gift but the gears are sloppy and there are other problems too) and I am looking into getting a *real* bike for my upcoming birthday (August). I've pretty much decided on a Trek-prob 7.3 or 7.5.
    My ultimate goal is to ride in a 220 mile long charity event next year, but was thinking about doing part of the local MS ride here in September. I'm not sure I'll be in good enough shape by then but my doctor has given me the ok to try it.
    Any hints, tips, tricks, advice?
    Thanks for being here for us newbies!

welcome to TE! all i can say is go to the local bike shop (LBS) and start trying out bikes that fit you. And if you are tougher than me, shop around a bit!

have fun
    ask questions

wear gloves and a helmet
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Thanks for the advice! I am a Registered Nurse and work in ICU so safety has always been foremost...I have seen some nasty injuries so I take proper equipment seriously.
    We are fortunate to have some great LBS in this area-I can't wait to go shopping and test riding very soon. I may not have much willpower (love the cool stuff!) but since my wallet (and DH's bank account) will have the final say-I'm going to be very choosy and really shop to see what I need and what I like and what I can afford.
    Thanks for the welcome and I hope to hang out, learn from everyone and stretch as a rider!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Welcome to TE!
    The more bikes you test ride before buying, the better idea you will have of what fits right and what doesn't feel good to you.
    Keep having FUN biking!- that's what it's all about.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey there!

I'm new here too and ride about the same distances you do. One thought - can you stash your bike somewhere in the office? or in the hospital, maybe a break room or cleaning closet? I've been riding to work twice a week and just stick mine right next to my desk. I think it's easier to just do it than to ask. I have only been told to move it once, and that was due to IT needing to get behind it... It makes a good decoration too.

Have fun!

Sending a hearty TE welcome too!
    Besides test riding a variety of bikes, your miles right now will aid you in learning what your style of riding is, what your preferences are, and what your riding goals are, if you choose. As you gain experience in the saddle, on the trails, out on the road - maybe you'll decide to train for the MS150 or some other multi-day charity ride, then you'll be in a much better position to be the rider that YOU want to be and have the satisfaction of learning and applying new skills also. Have tons o' fun!
    Tailwinds!
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medianox View Post
    I am so happy to have found this place! I started riding regularly just this past May and I am in love. I'm 47 and in good health but only fair shape.
    So far I ride 30-40 miles a week (only 10-12 miles per day) and have been slowly increasing the distance each week. There is a chance I could also bike to work (less than 5 miles each way) if I can find a safe place for my bike while I work.
    Currently I have been using the generic mountain bike my family got me for mother's day, but its killing me (I'm grateful for the gift but the gears are sloppy and there are other problems too) and I am looking into getting a *real* bike for my upcoming birthday (August). I've pretty much decided on a Trek-prob 7.3 or 7.5.
    My ultimate goal is to ride in a 220 mile long charity event next year, but was thinking about doing part of the local MS ride here in September. I'm not sure I'll be in good enough shape by then but my doctor has given me the ok to try it.
    Any hints, tips, tricks, advice?
    Thanks for being here for us newbies!
    I love my trek 7.3 fx. I have finished 5 centuries and one metric. We generally ride 80-100 miles a week in the summer, and try to catch a ride whenever we can in the evil winter if Michigan. Mt 7.3 fx was a good choice for me because I have rotator cuff issues and probably would not do well with the dropped handlebars of other road bikes.
    My husband has the crazy idea that we should do one of those 300 miles in 3 days events, so I signed us up for 3 centuries in 3 weeks, to see if we could even survive that. We did, but at the end of the last one I felt like one of those horses in the movies that gets used up so bad it has to be shot at the end!

I should say also that it took us about 3 years of riding consistently to be able to comfortably do the miles we are doing now without injury. we are the same age as you.

Hi and welcome!
    If your local bike shop or outfitter has any free clinics go and check them out. I've attended two - a Trek Woman's clinic (just kind of went over fit, and changing tires) and a lbs repair and maintenance clinic. They are great confidence builders!
    I can do five more miles.