Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Tammany Trace

Tammany Trace

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last week while I was enjoying some vacation time away from the office, I took my bike across Lake Pontchartrain to ride part of the Tammany Trace, a rails-to-trails path that runs along the swamps, pine forests, and small towns (well, they used to be) on the north shore. http://www.tammanytrace.org.

The drawbridge across Bayou LaCombe was recently rebuilt and I had to see it. So I got on the Trace at the Caboose trailhead (sorry no pictures), which is where we usually start for the MS training ride, but this time I rode the other way. I have to admit the houses are prettier along the Trace the other way, and there's the brew pub, but I wanted to see the draw bridge. 13 miles later I was there (in honor of the TdF I wore my Sunflower jersey). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bayou LaCombe Drawbridge.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	9740
    The nice Trace Rangers took the photo, and topped off one of my empty water bottles as I went through two of the three just to get there. The draw bridge is down "open" from sunrise to sunset with someone there to operate it if a larger boat needs to get through. There used to be a fishing village on the other side, but the Katrina storm surge wiped out the old buildings (and the old drawbridge).

On the way back I spotted a highway sign in the swamp. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hwy sign in the swamp.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	9741. Another contrabution to the scenery by Katrina. Not all is funky, right by the sign were some native water lilies Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7230036.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	9742.

For the most of the route I rode, the Trace is straight, and flat through the piney woods.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tammany Trace.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	9739.

Didn't help much that I started my ride around 9:30 am, so was definitely bright and sunny, and hot and muggy when I got back to my car at noon.

After the MS cycling season, where we ride part of the Trace (access to the huge parking lot at the Caboose), I'll haul my bike back and ride it again, when the weather is cooler.
    Last edited by bmccasland; 07-27-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: I forgot to write when I took my ride!
    Beth

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    That looks wonderful! It's going on my Must Ride list!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Wow- such pretty pictures (but I could feel the humidity through those pictures ). I just did some research on the Tammany Trace, and it looks like an INCREDIBLE trail to ride. The scenery looks amazing, and the trail seems be very well laid out. I think I have to ride this one day, and explore all along the way.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

great pics. i'm new to riding and had no idea there was such a great place so close. i hope i get the chance to check it out soon

Great pictures! I've been wanting to do the Trace for a while now. Maybe one day when we go home we'll build in an extra day so we can do that.

KB

My SO & I go to a road race down there and always ride the Trace Friday afternoon after we get in. It's a perfect relaxing spin to get rid of car legs!
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog