Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Identify this injury -- please!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ladies, I need some help here. Since April, I've been having what feels like tendonitis in my right hip. It hurts right at the top front of my iliac crest when I rise from a seated position and put weight on the right leg, when I run, and when I get off my bike, although pedaling doesn't hurt. Bending and twisting at the waist hurt, and swimming also seems to aggravate it. Running became unbearable, so I haven't run since May, and haven't ridden my bike in three weeks. The core strengthening class I take once a week makes it hurt, but weight workouts on the machines (leg presses, curls, extensions, abduction and adduction) don't.

I saw my primary care physician (who is a runner and cyclist, so he is familiar with sports injuries), and was referred to a physical therapist for evaluation. The PCP thought I might have some strength/flexibility imbalance issues, which the PT ruled out (she said I'm strong and flexible). Two weeks ago, at my PCP's suggestion, I had a cortisone injection in the hip, with only slight improvement in the pain.

I'm at my wits' end and due to go back to the PCP in two weeks, so if anyone has any suggestions or insight, I'd love to hear it! Thanks.

KB

You have a derangement. They are generally quite easy to fix. Find an MDT physical therapist near you. http://www.mckenziemdt.org/index_us.cfm

(disclaimer: I am an MDT therapist, but I can't treat you over the internet)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Kaybee--started in April, hmmm..Must be from crawfish etouffe withdrawal since the end of Cycle Zyedco...

KnottedYet knows more than me, but if what she says doesn't work (I hope it does), it sounds similar to what I had a while back. My hips were misaligned, and in my case, I had a wonderful PT/chiropractor (he is both) who got things right. I also started Pilates and that has really helped, too.

But since Knotted says you are Deranged...well, I can't judge on that one!

In case anyone is wondering what a derangement is.
    I know I was.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thanks Knotted! There are actually several MDT PTs within 40 miles of me. I'll check to see if any in my PPO network, and if so, I'll ask for a referral.

Tulip, yes, it did start right after CZ, so I'm guessing it's a combination of crawfish withdrawal and happy hour withdrawal! And yes, I've known for quite some time that I am deranged, but tried to keep it quiet!!! I was actually seeing a chiropractor until about the time we left for CZ, then quit going -- it got expensive and I got tired of driving across town for the appointments. Now I'm wondering if going back would help or if his treatment actually caused the problem . . .

KB

Nice link, Zen!

Spines can be deranged, hips can be deranged, people can be deranged...

The really groovy thing about MDT is that the PT teaches you how to fix yourself. You reduce your own derangement using your own normal body motions, so you don't have to keep going back over and over again and having someone else reduce it for you.

The vast majority of the time, I don't even touch my patients. They fix it all themselves. I just guide them and watch how their body responds. (the body really wants to fix itself)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm lucky to have had a chiro who is also a PT. He did teach me how to fix myself, with specific techniques and also by recommending classical Pilates, since a bit part of my issues was a lifetime of a mushy-middle. But that's not Kaybee's issue (she's very fit).

I hope you get a good PT, Kaybee.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    The really groovy thing about MDT is that the PT teaches you how to fix yourself. You reduce your own derangement using your own normal body motions, so you don't have to keep going back over and over again and having someone else reduce it for you.

The vast majority of the time, I don't even touch my patients. They fix it all themselves. I just guide them and watch how their body responds. (the body really wants to fix itself)
    Yes, yes,yes! That was exactly the issue I had with my chiro -- when I first started seeing him, he gave me the song and dance about how he would work with me to strengthen my weak areas so that everything stayed in alignment and I stayed fit and strong, but it never worked out that way. I guess it wasn't to his financial advantage to teach me to take care of myself.

Thank you so much for your insight. I'm feeling better alrady.

KB