Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Not someone I knew...

To disable ads, please log-in.

but someone who rode with lots of people I know, got killed last Saturday. Well, he didn't die until Tuesday, but it was Saturday he got hit. By a drunk driver. At six o'clock in the morning.

Even though I'd never met the guy, this is as close as I've been to knowing someone who's been killed on their bike, and it's affecting me. What is the matter with people.

I just had to vent, I'm so sad and angry.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

i'm really sorry to hear that. Someone got smashed in Seattle last night, a pedestrian. Whoever hit this person never even stopped. Some other hapless soul found them later.
    I wish we could crack down on irresponsible drivers.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

We lost another cyclist today too. One of our local Seattle racers was hit by a left hand turner a few days ago (on a road we all use frequently) and passed away today. It's all very sad.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

A couple years ago, I had a 7AM car accident with a student rushing to a class. I was ruled "at fault", she was taken away in handcuffs - DUI at 7AM; wouldn't have even known to look at her.

One of the board members for League of American Cyclists was killed last week in an accident - I believe in Carolinas
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Yes - it was Bruce Rosar and he was killed on a clear day mid-day. The report says he turned in front of a car. The driver was not charged. Lots of folks think that might not be the whole story, but I'm sure we'll never know.

It's got me pretty shaken up too. I didn't know him personally, but knew his work well (and know MANY people who routinely rode with him).

About 2 years ago, we had a cyclist killed by an NC State student. He was drunk at about 10:30 in the morning, and hit her on a residential street. He had turned 21 the day before and was still trashed from the night before. Her family asked for leniency in sentencing - I don't think I could have done that

But yeah - I have to admit I've been thinking more and more about whether it makes sense to ride. I love it, and I know there are risks in everything in life. And, at the end of the day, I know I'll be back out there. But for now, I'm shaken up
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...