Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Shock Pumps

Shock Pumps

To disable ads, please log-in.

Now that I am finally decked out with my fully, any shock pump better than others? How often do you air yours? DH does it ever ride but he is a bit on the OCD side about such things. His shock pump is one from 5 years ago, not even sure what brand it is.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I use the cheapo one from Performance. It puts air in, it doesn't let much (if any) out when I disconnect, has a decent gauge, and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

I will check pressure about every other ride, but only air up or let air out when it needs it. I really dislike the feel of my bike if that shock pressure isn't dead on.

We bought one when DH went air shock but his Anthem came with a Giant one as well. One has died - don't know which.

I used to check both of mine (front and rear) each week but found it was spot on every time, so I backed off to checking once amonth or so - still spot on. I've got a bit slack - haven't checked it for about two months now since I did the full let all the air out of the rear and check pivots were all still moving sweetly.

Probably should check it again - thanks for reminding me! I sympathise with your DH, since I am usually a bit OCD, but never so much as shock pumping every ride. But I am OCD about pumping tyres each and every ride (on all bikes) - hate pinch flats!

Pink- DH went to tubeless. We are going to see if they are as great as everyone says then switch mine. I put air in my tires every ride (must be the roadie in me) but this shock is a new animal. I got a bunch of bike shop coupons, so I guess whatever they have is good enough? I didn't know if it was like hand pumps where some are total lemons!
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

You need to know whether you need a high or low pressure shock pump. Marzocchi forks like low, as do the Manitou swinger shock.

If I was buying a high pressure pump, I'd buy a Fox. They're pretty accurate.

That sound of air escaping when you disconnect is just the air in the hose, not air escaping from the shock.

As far as frequency, I check the pressure every ride by at least pushing down on the fork or shock, and paying attention to the balance of the bike. If your fork or shock is losing air between rides, you should have it serviced someplace like Push Industries (who can also install a ProPedal Platform).
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Sadie- My bike has a Fox Float rear and a Fox something (race?) on the front. I think DH has a WrenchForce pump, his Stumpjumper the same shock set up as my Hifi. I will ask the LBS if they can steer my clueless self in the right direction.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 07-23-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Amanda

I had a horrible Schwinn shock pump that really did let air out on disconnect. I had to overfill both fork and shock by about 10 psi to account for the air loss. Needless to say, I got fed up with it and chucked it!

I should also add that I'm still dialing in shock settings on this rig, so I'm a little more OCD about it at the moment than I'd be if I was totally confident in my settings.

After riding HT for a year I am not sure I am ready to know the difference! Part of my fitting was to dial the shock in but the guy did caution me I may find I like it more firm or less. I only run about 103 PSI, my husband is at about 180. He was baffled by that because I am only 30 lbs lighter. I am a much easier and softer rider though. I haven't even ventured to try what the Pro Pedal feels like, I am still getting use to the squish.

Funny thing is in my past life I was a really good bowler, I was always more of a "feel" player. Something was out of sorts it could really mean a bad day. I haven't gotten that way on the bike - YET.
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Pink- DH went to tubeless. We are going to see if they are as great as everyone says then switch mine. I put air in my tires every ride (must be the roadie in me) but this shock is a new animal. I got a bunch of bike shop coupons, so I guess whatever they have is good enough? I didn't know if it was like hand pumps where some are total lemons!
    I don't know whether I'd be game to go tubeless - not really sure why though. The roadie in me HAS to pump tyres every time - I swear that's one reason why I have so few flats compared with DH (me - touching wood right now)!

I must admit I didn't feel the difference between the two shock pumps we had when I used them, so I couldn't say that one was better or worse - just that DH announced the other day that one was dead! I think if you stick with a reputable brand you should be fine?

I have a Fox F100 RLC fork and it takes the high pressure pump. I don't expect they would have forks that take each so I think you'd be after the high pressure one.

tubeless

Ian switched to tubeless a week or so ago (b-day pressie) & loves them! Much easier in terms of uphill climbs & quite responsive.

I'm going tubeless next month.

The dudes at our coolio shop told me that if there's one thing they'd upgrade first..it's wheels.

CC- My wheels are tubeless ready so all I need to switch are tubeless tires and put in the sealant. DH just got a new set of wheels when I got my new bike. He is loving tubeless, so I am thinking I will have mine set up tubeless at some point.
    Amanda

I use the shock pump that came with my fork (Rock Shox Reba). It seems to work very well.

... and +1 on tubeless! I went tubeless on my CX bike last year, and I went straight to tubeless when I got my MTB back in April. Once you've got the hang of installing/sealing tires (and you've spilled at least 1 quart of Stan's sealant on your garage floor), it's super easy.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

regarding tubeless for mountain biking...it's the way to go. the cheapest and best way (IMHO) to convert is using the STAN's System. Go to notubes.com for info. The key in going tubeless is the sealant used inside the tire. Stans allows you to use your current wheelset and tires for go tubeless. You can save quite a bit of weight going this route since most tubeless wheels are heavier than standard wheels. Also, tubeless specific tires are also heavier than standard clinchers. I've been using this system for over 4 years and have never flatted (pulled many thorns from my tires though). I even use Stan's sealant in my tubular tires on my road bike.