Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Fantasizing about "dream bike"

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've officially started fantasizing about my next bike. I told myself that I'd get a new bike once I'd finish my PhD an get a job. Both are in sight so I'm allowed to start dreaming.

There's nothing really wrong with my current road bike, but it was given to me, I didn't get to choose it, and it was always hard to make it fit to my body. It's also too small to take fenders or bigger tires comfortably.

I'm thinking about a light-touring oriented bike with some carrying capacity. I'm thinking about steel. I'm thinking about not-made-too-far if possible, i.e. USA or Canada, but I know there will be a price tag to that. I think I want brifters, but I could change my mind. I am willing to wait six months to a year from the time I order, if needed. I want the thing to FIT well.

And I think I want couplers that allow me to take the bike apart and fit it in a suitcase, like this: http://timetogetnaked.com/?page_id=1888

Any insight on the couplers?

And suggestions about which manufacturers to look into?

I was also thinking that, if the manufacturer was, say, in Oregon, I'd happily go pick up the bike and ride it back home to Vancouver.

Dream with me, please!

Well, I just ordered my dream bike two weeks ago. Similar to your picture, but it will be sparkly red with couplers and stainless steel lugs.

It's nowhere near Vancouver, but this is who's building my bike (can't get the embedded linking to work right): http://bilenky.com/Home_.html

On the advice of my LBS, I decided to work with a builder I could meet in person. After discussing everything with him, and being measured, and his observing me riding two of my bikes, I have no doubt the new bike will be exactly what I want.

Have fun dreaming!

My travel bike has S&S couplers. I love it. Traveling with your own bike is a delicious luxury. Initially I was skeptical that I could pack/unpack and maintain as I'm not always mechanically adept. But, it is my bike and I've learned what I've needed to know. In the end, I find it fascinating how simple the dis/assembly is and how straightforward the adjustments are.

That said, my bike is big and requires that I remove the fork to to pack it. Still, after a few packing practices, I can pack/unpack in about an hour. If I rented, I'd spend 20 minutes playing with saddle and pedal swaps. So I don't consider the time excessive--and, if was less picky about things, I bet I could do it in about 45 minutes.

Issues? The builder (Waterford) had already built me a non-coupler bike, so I thought the S&S bike would be trivial. Not necessarily as they had to adjust the geometry of the frame to meet some S&S standard. So, I'd suggest going with someone who does S&S regularly. Waterford is great, but not near you. What about CoMotion?

There are other S&S bikes on the forum. DebW has one--her postings got me interested in the concept.

Oh, and my bike has enough room for fenders and while is slightly relaxed in geometry, I asked them to still give her a little kick. At 2lbs more than my go-fast bike, she doesn't really sprint, but she is not a heavy tourer, either. Keep dreaming.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I've seen Thorn's bike in person. It's sooooooo pretty, and she's faster than me, which I attribute to her superior breeding as well as her amazing bike .

You mentioned Oregon - you should check out http://www.co-motion.com/
    I have some friends that ride their bikes, and are Very happy with them; one bought w/ the couplers http://www.co-motion.com/information/s&s_couplers.html so he could take it on international travel easily.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Bike Fridays are made in Oregon and they pack into a suitcase. I love riding my Bike Friday. It feels like my "regular" bike.