Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My New Bike - Time to Get Dirty!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I picked up my new Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe GS on Thursday and spent all weekend riding her at Huntsville SP. It is like this off the shelf bike was made for me. I can get off the back so easily, she climbs nicely, is a blast to bomb off rooty ledges. I was extremely nervouse about the Gary Fisher Genesis geometry because I have a short torso and they are long top tubed but it is a dream! She has named herself Holly Golightly.

SRAM X-9 rear and carbon seat stays.

Already loving the full suspension! It is a Fox rear shock.

Look at all the sassy white. Juicy 5 discs (whoa that'll stop), SRAM X-7 shifters and a Fox front fork.

In case I forget the model, it is carefully placed on the top tube.

Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

light?

AM, how light is it? Actually a better q would be how responsive is it? I know very little about GF bikes & they aren't well known down in Western Australia. I think the AMB mag may have reviewed one but not sure how it rated.

What are your thoughts about going to a dually?

I'm on the trail for a new dually but not right away. I'm leaning towards possibly another Scott(don't do XS though ), a Yeti, Pivot(in my dreams ) or an Ibis as they make XS's. (I don't want a giant or specialized)
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 07-20-2009 at 02:59 AM.

Looks GORGEOUS! Glad you are enjoying her.

We see quite a few GFs over here in the eastern states of Oz but lots more 29ers and rigids than dual suspension rigs. They are well-loved though.

CC- My husband was impressed with how light it is but that doesn't tell you much. I didn't weigh it but one review said it is one of the lighter bikes out there. I found a review of the 2007 that was 26 lb, not a lot has changed in the design but I know Fox has redesigned their forks for some weight savings. Plus GF has a design flaw in the rear pivot last year (per my LBS) so they made some changes there too.

One thing I was told and found on the GF Geometry charts is they do have a long effective top tube. I was really worried about this as I am short torso but it isn't an issue. I hated Specialized which has the shortest TT I could find. By my novice skills she seems to track well and is pretty responsive. The shifting is AMAZING compared to my old Shimano Deore combo on my Scott HT. This frame goes down to 14.5", mine is the small at 15.5". I think my Scott was a small (15") and I ride a 47 cm roadie if that puts you in the ballpark of how I fit bikes.

Can you get Titus down there? They go tiny.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 07-20-2009 at 05:15 AM.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    beautiful new bike!!! I really like the black with pink and white accents. So glad you got to explore all the trails and get her initiated to them.
    Enjoy!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

titus

Hey AM, Titus is another brand we don't see very often down here in WA & would probably be as pricey as a Pivot . Most folks with one would be expats. Two cyclo cross bikes at the race yesterday but the owners just recently moved from Canada. Noone does CX in WA.

I won't be buying til early-mid next year so i have time to ponder. I need to get the sizing right this time! My SM Scott Scale is just that touch too big but I love how it's light, responsive & fast. Great for XC racing/enduro events and want the same thing in the dually I buy.

Have fun on dat dere new bike ya!

She's gorgeous! Love the name too

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Beautiful, Aggie! I think you're going to really enjoy the time spent together.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    She's gorgeous! Love the name too
    I love Breakfast at Tiffiany's and the name just spoke to me!

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Beautiful, Aggie! I think you're going to really enjoy the time spent together.
    Man, I am already enjoying not having to get out of the saddle for every bump to save my tushy. The disc brakes though are actually a little scary, I am not used to stopping on a dime.
    Amanda