Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Zurich to Schwyz Tour

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did a solo weekend tour to the town of Schwyz, Switzerland. I left home in the rain about 9 am Saturday, and it rained all day long, varying between drizzle and moderate rain. I stayed comfortable and happy in rainjacket, rainpants, shoe covers, helmet cover, and baseball cap under the helmet to keep the glasses dry. I took the shortest route there on Saturday because I was trying to get to the Victorinox Factory Outlet store in Schwyz before it closed at 3 pm. I estimated 62 km, but it was actually 77 km, and I got there by 2 pm, riding along the Sihl River, through Baar and Zug and along the eastern shores of the Zurgersee and Lauerzersee. Despite the rain, the ride along the lakes was lovely. After adding a few pounds of Victorinox products to my pack (the tomato knife, hair scissors with micro teeth, and pocketknife with pen were my favorites) I stopped at a museum of Swiss history, which featured (yes indeed) historic Swis army knives along with much else. The Canton of Schwyz founded the Swiss Confederation in 1291 and lent it's name to the country, so much history to learn here.

I had a reservation in a backpacker hostel, and arrived there around 5 pm. There was a garage for bikes, and I shared a bunkroom with a French family riding across Switzerland. The family included a grandmother, 2 parents, and a 4 year old, who had his choice of a trail-a-bike or a trailer (he'd ridden the trailer the day I met them to stay out of the rain). They are doing 40-50 km/day and carrying camping gear. About 7 pm the rain finally stopped, and I got some pictures in town, but it started again by 8 pm and rained all night. Had a nice dinner and beer in the pub attached to the hostel.

Awoke to rain again on Sunday, but it was stopping as I left, though I started in raingear and was somewhat reluctant to take it off. The nearby mountains were partially visible through the clouds and showed fresh snow. The mountain Grosser Mythen is next to Schwyz, and I hope to climb it next weekend. Mt. Riggi is also in the neighborhood. I decided to ride back on the western side of the lakes, and both proved to be very scenic and with less traffic than the eastern sides. From Zug to Zurich I also followed a different route, which took me through a large forest, where I encountered a 4-horse coach at one point, and then past the Turlersee which I've visited once before. Then I had a choice of 2 routes back to Zurich, and chose the one I thought was longer and flatter. It turned out to be much long with some serious hills, and I probably would have been home an hour soon and 20 km shorter if I'd chosed differently. My Sunday ride ended up being 100 km.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SchwyzA.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	9674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victorinox.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	9675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SchwyzC.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	9676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SchwyzE.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	9677  
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Wow. Can't deny the beauty of those photos and where you've ridden. Love the touring narrative with the photos - keep 'em coming. Hmm, don't remember the fenders on your bike at first, like when you did the C&O. Wonder when those got added.

Fenders had to come off for the C&O because I was using 26x1.5" tires that were too big for the fenders. My regular tires are 26x1.3" and work with fenders.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Sooooo beautiful, and what a great story to go along with it. A hostel with a bike garage- I love it! Even tho it was rainy, it sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

wow, how beautiful. Those look like the hills where Heidi could be found...
    a story i read as a child.
    I regret that I missed why you are in Europe and how long that you will be there; however, I am happy to see that you are having FUN
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Awesome! That sounds like a great adventure! I am envious, but riding vicariously through your picts. Thanks

hey, glad you went despite the yucky weather...
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

very nice indeed!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    That's just beautiful! How lucky to visit the Victorinox outlet. Do you have more pics of your journey?

What tires are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    hey, glad you went despite the yucky weather...
    Well, as the ETH professor I work for always says "We're not made of sugar" so won't melt in the rain. Is that a common saying in Switzerland? I'd never heard it before.

Looks wonderful! Have you been/are you going to Amsterdam? It is truly a cycling haven. When I was there in May we had a nice day ride well out into the country. There was a ferry that only transported bicycles, motorcycles and pedestrians that got us out of the city. When we attended a dinner with friends, their three well-off adult children and their partners all arrived by bicycle even though they all own cars.

Truly an amazing bike culture and I hope you see Amsterdam if you haven't been there yet.