Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

Smile speed is overrated

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've come to the conclusion that I am a trekker at heart. I would rather ride for distance rather than ride for performance. I am not a weight weenie. I try to put fenders, racks, trunks, or underseat bags on all my bikes. I clutter up the handlebars with things that improve comfort or safety--or for entertainment. I like knobby, heavy tires. A kickstand is useful. So are baskets to bring in the mail or a coffee cup holder that carries a mug of fresh brew. It's just a matter of time before I plan my first credit card tour. Comfort is the priority now and I'm ready to enter a new season in cycling.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Certainly it sounds as if you haul around abit more weight on bike everyday, even without buying anything for the pannier.

I don't like knobby tires, but I do have Marathon tires which have smoother thread. My handlebar real estate doesn't have much except for a bell and a mount for my no-longer-used Cateye computer.

For self, speed has only counted for meeting work commuting time...and for touring -- making sure on a long trip, to get to hotel/motel/b 'n b in time....to check out nearby eating places before dark..or book accommodation right there upon arrival. My partner has a loose style of trip planning: book lst 1-2 days..then advance reserved accommodation becomes vaguer and vaguer depending on cycling distance covered and weather during trip days.

So, are you waiting for a better time in life to do a credit card bike trip?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Welcome to my club
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Welcome to my club
    Yeah, I totally relate!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me too! I keep thinking about getting a "lighter" bike, but then I start mentally adding things to it....

I <3 my generator hub, fenders, rear rack, trunk bag, front and rear lights, etc.

I wasn't gonna win any races anyway

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Same here. What's the rush?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    So, are you waiting for a better time in life to do a credit card bike trip?
    I'm waiting for it to become cooler. I'm also looking for the right bike for the job.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I fully agree.
    I am not as fast as I used to be and I'm getting aggravated trying to get back to where I was. I find I like going slower, enjoying the scenery, taking pictures, and exploring new things.
    What bikes are you looking at?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Tri, I'm looking at steel bikes--mtb's and touring road bikes.

Another opportunity to say how much I love my Aurora

Is Mariposa jealous?

I'm usually in the last group of people finishing a Century, and I do it on a hybrid bike with lights and bags and water bottles all over it. I don't want a faster bike because I am comfortable on this one and it can take all the badness Michigan roads can dish out.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Is Mariposa jealous?
    She would be furious if she knew I had considered selling her

Tri Girl, I found that in the process of getting back to be as fast as I used to be, I did it by giving up all expectations of doing it. In other words, I stopped trying, and focusing on other stuff. Getting a 2nd bike made for slower riding, with lots of stuff on it (pannier, 2 lights, computer) gave me a reason to do lots of little errand rides and some destination rides where I wanted to to be able to walk around (i.e., not be wearing my road shoes).
    Last year, I had a difficult season on the bike. I felt old and slow and had more bad days than good. This year, after a couple of months, I found that with just a little trying, my speed is almost where it was before all of my medical issues started. I look forward to riding my road bike because it's not the only thing I do. Besides riding my hybrid around town, I also started running, again, with no expectations of speed or accomplishment.
    I also ride with a couple of people who are slower than me, so except for my DH and the rides I do alone, my trying to be fast isn't happening every time I get on a bike. The only group I ride with is a group that is more "smell the roses," even though there are a lot of very fit people in the group.
    So, while I admit I like to improve my riding, I have stopped trying to "train." To put it in perspective, what we do is more than what 95% of people do (at least in the U.S). Have fun and enjoy yourself!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Thanks, Crankin. Your words hit home.
    I've struggled with gaining some weight (and not being able to get it off despite riding 5 days a week and counting calories), and getting slower on the bike while everyone else I know is speeding up. I've been feeling very incompetent and inadequate. I quit doing tris because I feel so slow and out of shape. So I ride alone. I go my own speed. I took the computer off. I stop to take pictures and look around more.
    I just got a job 2 miles from home (as opposed to 26), so now I can ride to work and the grocery store on the way home. I'm looking forward to being a utilitarian bicyclist- not just a speed demon.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike