Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tri for the Anti-Runner?

To disable ads, please log-in.

After completing my first 150 a couple weekends ago, my thoughts were, well I'm glad I did that, but it's a bit monotonous. Maybe next year a Tri? Only problem is I am not a runner- biking- obviously fine, swimming- I used to do swim team so would just need pool time, but running? ugh. I've tried jogging a few times and I have negative running efficiency. I get maybe 400yds and have this huge stitch in my side and have nearly bonked and want to curl up in a ball. Not to mention when I used to play field hockey, the shin splints! Any other anti-runners out there who've pulled it off? Especially to have to run at the end! I think I'd keep to Olympic level as distance, maybe sprint, but still even 3 miles sounds daunting.
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page

It can be done.

I started running 15 months ago when I signed up to do a HIM. I was a total non runner and I only had 16 weeks to work up to running 13 miles. I never did run 13 miles, but I did run 10 and I did finish my HIM, even though I walked quite a bit of my run.

And I'm doing another HIM in three weeks.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 07-14-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

For starters read
    CHI running
    helps
    I was never a runner, am not a runner, and probably will never be a runner, but I've done 6 triathlons and have my first half ironman on sunday

You absolutely have the base to do it.
    The stitches - might be breathing technique. Core work seems to help.
    Maybe start with run-walk intervals, don't neglect work with your feet, start slow, and a sprint or oly is in your reach. For Oly I'd give myself till next year.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

If you really don't like running, there's always AquaBike

I am a HORRIBLE runner. Somehow I keep chugging along though.

If you can't run, then walk. Start out training by doing a walk/run.

For example... take a watch with you and run 30 seconds... then walk 3 minutes. Something like that. Pick an interval that works for you.

Now when you run... don't go all out... just do a simple jog. Take it easy. It's OK.

As you start to feel your shorter run segments are becoming easy... move to longer run segments.

Ease into running. It will come with time.

Also, go get fitted for proper running shoes based on your stride. Might help with shin splints.

Good luck!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by tribogota View Post
    For starters read
    CHI running
    helps
    I was never a runner, am not a runner, and probably will never be a runner, but I've done 6 triathlons and have my first half ironman on sunday

When do you arrive in CA?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    If you really don't like running, there's always AquaBike
    I just found this! I'm much more stoked to do one of those. Perusing to see if they have any nearby...

Tho a Tri DH and I could do together- I'd beat him swimming, but he's a runner. Food for thought.
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page

I'm a huge fan of Couch to 5K as a training program for running. (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) Even though you have base, it is important to go slow when you start running so your muscles and joints can adapt to the pounding. I always *hated* running, but then did couch to 5K and really enjoy it now.

Good luck!

I always think when people say they can't run d/t getting out of breath, stitch in side, etc. it is because you are running too fast for your level. True, start out walking w/a few "jogs" then build to walk/run and keep pace slow...conversational (ok, w/ running it is never that conversational). It is a progression. Speed comes once you get a bit more endurance.
    To me it is swimming that will be the end of me!
    katluvr

Gwen, if I could start running, you can! I am slow, but I like it and I have had no injuries. I don't count my cranky hip because that seems to ache whether I am running or not. The key is to start slowly and build up. Plus, I never run more than 3 days a week.
    I wish I could swim, so I could do a tri. Well, I can swim, but it's mostly breast stroke, trying to keep my face out of the water so my contacts don't get wet. I've never found goggles that work on my tiny head, despite recommendations here. I seriously have trouble with endurance when swimming because I don't know the technique. Plus, I don't like not being able to touch bottom...
    Too bad we couldn't do a tri where you do the swim, we both ride, and I run!
    I guess that wouldn't work, since I am probably in your mother's age category .

Crankin, yeah a combo one would be good! We could DIY Tri I guess if my SIL has completed a marathon, I can figure out a way to survive 3-6 miles. I guess it is easier to train oneself to run rather than swimming- I have thousands of miles of swimming from a few years on the team and tho I was terrible compared to the rest of the team, I have the basics of a good stroke. I seriously would rather swim the 3 miles, tho I haven't done a ton of openwater swimming. Lines on the bottom of the pool are your friend.

I was also not a runner until about 1 year ago, if you asked me 2 years ago I would have said I hated running and only did it when I traveled and there was not other option. Last summer I started to run more regularly mostly to cross-train for biking. When I started I couldn't run 2 miles straight and now I can do over 5 and have taken over a minute off my mile pace, as others mentioned the key is to start slow, intervals are great for building up the endurance. Swimming is my real challenge...

I have seen some aqua-bikes listed in MA. They are usually part of Olympic distance or longer tris. check out www.trifind.com/ma

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Gwen, if I could start running, you can! I am slow, but I like it and I have had no injuries. I don't count my cranky hip because that seems to ache whether I am running or not. The key is to start slowly and build up. Plus, I never run more than 3 days a week.
    I wish I could swim, so I could do a tri. Well, I can swim, but it's mostly breast stroke, trying to keep my face out of the water so my contacts don't get wet. I've never found goggles that work on my tiny head, despite recommendations here. I seriously have trouble with endurance when swimming because I don't know the technique. Plus, I don't like not being able to touch bottom...
    Too bad we couldn't do a tri where you do the swim, we both ride, and I run!
    I guess that wouldn't work, since I am probably in your mother's age category .
    I have a tiny head... TYR makes goggles for women. I bought 8 pairs of goggles to try out and these are the ONLY ones that worked:

TYR Women's T-72 Petite
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2746.htm

You can get clear lenses with a blue frame. I bought mine at Academy for $5.96. Cheaper than what they are selling for at Swim Outlet.

In the end though, I would suggest buying 10 pairs of goggles, and swimming in each pair, until you find the ones that fit. What fits one person won't fit another. Take back the ones that don't fit.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Thumbs up

Big, HUGE 2nd for the Couch to 5K plan... even if you have a good cardio base from cycling. Your skeleton needs to get used to the impact from running (and this takes time) or you'll set yourself up for an injury.

I came into triathlon with a background in swimming only. Had to learn the whole running/cycling part and for running, I chose the Couch to 5K plan. Since then, my best friend and my husband have completed the plan and both have gone on to become terrific triathletes. I am a FIRM believer that anyone can build up to running using this plan.

I'll also let you in on a little secret... I've turned into a pretty decent runner (especially at stand-alone races) but there are still times that I follow the whole walk/run process in training... especially on really hot days when cardiac drift is very noticable. Walk/run is just a SAFE way to approach running in the early stages of base building for new runners AND as a way to safely get through hard training sessions for those who have been running a while.

You can totally do this!!!
    "Define Yourself"- Deena Kastor